Mixed Rabbit?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunFamily

Reaction score
Hi Yesterday i Got a New rabbit that is 3 years old she has the colouring of a hotot but is bigger then a mini lop?
She has Long fur but not like a angora,
I really want to know what breeds she is

:pinkbunny:

I suppose if you were to post a few pictures of the rabbit we could guess the mix of breeds that make up your rabbit. But to be technically accurate your rabbit is probably not any breed of rabbit. To be technically accurate a rabbit in the USA is a hotot if the ARBA accepts it as hotot based on the ARBA standards. If a rabbit has not been judged by the ARBA it is only a rabbit that is like a hotot. Even if both parents of a rabbit are registered hotot the offspring is not officially hotot until judged by the ARBA.

Mixed breed rabbits are fine here, we do not have a problem with them. Many here find there favorite rabbits to be mixed rabbits. Many years ago when I had rabbits with my neighbor our breeding doe was most likely a French Lop X Californian mix. She was a good mother.

The Dwarf Hotot is a small breed but the original Blanc de hotot is not that small at up to 11lbs. There's something like 70years between the creation of the larger breed and the new smaller breeder as people continually want smaller pet rabbits instead of ones with use for meat or fur. Hotot markings is a combination of color genes (broken and dutch) you can put into any rabbit. The markings rarely come out as only eye rings if it isn't specifically selected for but the Hotot breeds actually have numerous and separate starts from using a breed similar to checkered giants and english spots for the larger version to using netherland dwarf with the dutch gene for the smaller version. If it really has just the eye rings and is not a minimally marked broken it might have some hotot or even be "pure". If your rabbit is only slightly over it doesn't take much to get a 12-13lb rabbit instead of a 10-11lb rabbit even without crosses and most breeds are not truly pure either. As it becomes difficult to get unrelated rabbits people cross in more common rabbits like New zealand for the medium-large commercial body type breeds and then breed the offspring of the crosses back to the requirements for the breed they want. It could be a random mixing of broken and dutch genes from random breeds or you could have an otherwise pure blanc de hotot.

Rabbit breeds are not well defined and you can show anything that meets standard as that breed regardless of it's background. It only needs a 3 generation pedigree of the same breed with specific information like colors and weights to be fully recognized. That also makes it impossible to tell who really does have "pure" stock and who has a mix of breeds that they managed to make look like the intended breed for 3 generations. Colors that shouldn't exist frequently pop up out of nowhere in a breed for that reason. My creme d'argent that only comes in one color produced red eyed white from new zealand that was just off the pedigree I was given. The seller informed me when I was buying the cremes from her and the original breeder is known in this area for heavily crossing them to new zealands instead of the effort to bring in unrelated creme d'argent.

Latest posts

Back