mistaken song lyrics

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am rather infamous for getting song lyrics incorrect to the point that I am gun shy to even sing songs I know. It would appear this is a genetic trait. My youngest heard the old Bon Jovi song "You Give Love a Bad Name" somewhere or another (not from me.) If you don't know it or if you are as bad at mangling lyrics as I am the first verse is as such:

Shot through the heart
and you're to blame
you give love
a bad name

My 8 year-old's version is:
Shot through the heart
and way too late
we're gonna need
some band-aids.

It's a rather grim version, but I think I prefer it. Anyone else have this genetic flaw--er, creative streak?

:rotfl:

That's great, I love it! :hooray:

With songs, I don't tend to get them incorrect -- when I can hear them. If I can't understand them clearly, it sounds like gibberish.

Now, where I tend to excel at getting things wrong is the quick-read. You know, driving down the street, look to the side, see a sign, and -- WHAT? Oh, it doesn't say that. :lol:

I saw a sign: Palyul Buddhist Center.
I read: Playful Buddhist Center.

:shock:

the reluctant farmer":3l3mde9l said:
Oh, I would SO have had to pull over & go in to see the playful Budhists! :p
And I would have been SO dissapointed if no-one was full of play! :|

LOL yeah that.

My mother is the Queen of singing along with what she thinks are the lyrics...

From Bon Jovi's Living on a Prayer .... "it doesn't make a difference if we're naked or not".... Ummmmmmm OK.

I don't have epic lyric mishearings, but I do have some...errr...interesting misreadings. I just can't remember any of mine, but Bunny-Wan has seen things like:

Real Sign: Glossy Nails
Misread: Glossy Snails :lol:

Real Product: Pure Epsom Salt
Misread: Pure Energon Salt
(If you don't know The Transformers, you won't get that one.)

JenerationX":36jwnaal said:

From Bon Jovi's Living on a Prayer .... "it doesn't make a difference if we're naked or not".... Ummmmmmm OK.
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
10345831_10205449241500709_3893336369776925923_n.jpg

JenerationX":fw1vtckf said:

facepalmoptimus.jpg
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I heard once on the station K-love that the song "Frosty the Snowman" was misheard a lot, read this carefully: "A corncob pipe and a button nose"

Read that last part carefully "button nose"

See it?

EnglishSpot":aep5ode9 said:
This is going back to the 80s...

"Tell me I'm not dreamin'" turned into "Do it on a tree limb"

:laugh: oh, I shouldn't have read this while eating chilil.

JenerationX":aep5ode9 said:
Again, don't eat chili & read funny posts. Ow. I think I have a kidney bean stuck somewhere it shouldn't be.

Ok, you've given me courage to admit to some of my own worst:

Steve Miller-"Swingtown"
And we've got to get down to Swingtown".
Me:
"And we've got to get down to suede town". (I didn't know the song was called "Swingtown" or I would have figured it out. I thought it was "The ohh-OHHH, oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-OH-o-o" song.

Nine Inch Nails-"Hurt"
You can have it all,
My empire of dirt
Me:
You can have it all,
My Vampira darts

Michael Jackson-"Billy Jean"
Billie Jean is not my lover
She's just a girl who claims that I am the one
But the kid is not my son
Me:
Billy Jean is not my wonder
She's just a girl who said that I am the one
But the kid has got my gun

And finally, an Elton John song that repeats the word for a female dog a lot, but that I heard as:
"Oh the itch, oh the itch, oh the itch is back!". That one seemed to make sense. I figured Elton needed some penicillin.

the reluctant farmer":azpj8jql said:
Oh, I would SO have had to pull over & go in to see the playful Budhists! :p
And I would have been SO dissapointed if no-one was full of play! :|

A good Buddhist is always playful. ;)

LOL... these are killin me. It's always hysterical seeing someone getting really into a song with their version of the words too.

Toto's Africa got completely butchered yesterday... can't even remember some of the messed up verses, but this part of the chorus kept cracking me up..

there's nothing that a hundred men on Mars could ever do
I left my brains down in Africa

JINGLE BELLS:

Bells on bob-tail ring. Seems to always get turned into "bells on Bob's tail ring"

Then radio contests ask what the. Horses name is, and give prizes for saying Bob! The horse has a bobbed tail! That is not his name!! Arrrgh! :x

Miss M":1coq8xwx said:
JenerationX":1coq8xwx said:
there's nothing that a hundred men on Mars could ever do
I left my brains down in Africa
Help... can't...... breathe............

:rotfl:
lifeguard_giving_cpr_hb.gif

:lol: :lol:
I'm glad I'm not alone. I always get the lyrics wrong. Sometimes when we're in the truck and I'm singing "along" Chris will turn the radio down and bust me. :p We get a good laugh. :oops: The sad part is our daughter is just as bad. :x :lol: Also, neither of us can carry a tune either. :x :lol: :lol: :lol:

Miss M":31jnkcs3 said:
wamplercathy":31jnkcs3 said:
:lol: :lol:
I'm glad I'm not alone. I always get the lyrics wrong. Sometimes when we're in the truck and I'm singing "along" Chris will turn the radio down and bust me. :p We get a good laugh. :oops: The sad part is our daughter is just as bad. :x :lol: Also, neither of us can carry a tune either. :x :lol: :lol: :lol:
:?

C'mon, Cathy... we were supposed to be posting what it was we got wrong. So... time to self-incriminate! :twisted:

She's right!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Oh, man, now I remember a misheard song of mine! This doesn't happen to me very often, so I only just remembered.

Paul McCartney
"Simply having a wonderful Christmastime"

Real lyrics: 'simply having a wonderful Christmastime'
Me: 'safely having a wonderful Christmastime'

Not very epic, but.... :?

Now you know why I didn't like it very much; I still don't, but now it makes sense...

Latest posts

Back