Mini lop vs. Holland Lop- Personalities

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schipperkesue

Reaction score
CochinBrahmaLover's post has inspired this one.

I would love to purchase a new housebunny. We are an older single couple with one very docile three year old un-neutered male Netherland Dwarf as an indoor pet. I would like to buy another small male, very young, and slowly introduce them with the possibility that they become cage mates.

I have been thinking about both the Mini Lop and the Holland Lop. What are their respective personalities like? Is there a better choice? i am looking for a small breed with short fur. My husband likes the lop ears.

Also, any suggestions for a smooth introduction?

Thanks!

Schipperkesue":1wlzuyoe said:
I have been thinking about both the Mini Lop and the Holland Lop. What are their respective personalities like? Is there a better choice? i am looking for a small breed with short fur. My husband likes the lop ears.

Also, any suggestions for a smooth introduction?

Thanks!

Just on my own personal experience - I would definitely choose the Mini Lop. We had both Holland Lops and Mini Lops and have sold the Hollands and kept the Mini's. Our Mini Lops were consistently much more laid back. For us the Hollands tended to be more nippy and a bit nervous compared to the Mini Lops. Of course this may not be breed wide but it was definitely our experience in the case of multiple Holland Lops. All of our Mini Lops have been laid back, sweet & gentle.

I have to second Zass's thought. I'd pick a Mini Lop if buying one BUT I can't say I'd see it going well introducing a new rabbit to a 3 year old. So far I've not had any rabbits over a few months old not fight. I had two males that seemed friendly to one another and put them in a large area together very briefly and there was immediately a viscous fight! Freaked me out. Thankfully I got them separated before any injuries.

Hmm, I may have to rethink my strategy. Of course there is the possibility they may neuter each other, but I don't think I would want that!

Has anyone had any luck with this? Even with a very young kit?

In my experience even two neutered males rarely get along.

I think your only option is to neuter your buck and get a doe, get a doe and neuter her, or acquire an already neutered female.

I love Hollands, mine are super sweet and fun. I did have a mini lop as a kid and he was a good guy.

I know a person who has 2 intact males that get along. But it's very very rare, and usually just ends in flying fur.

Obviously I'm biased, but i think holland lops are just precious. Mine run up to me when they see me, they're like little puppies. They are kinda nervous, but so far both kits are perfectly fine with humans. I think my does and buck were just raised with less interaction

But I haven't had any experience with mini lops. My only suggestion would be to get your buck neutered, and probably get a spayed doe. Does and bucks make better pairs, but two neutered bucks can bonded.

Latest posts

Back