Mimosa (Japanese Silktree) (Albizia julibrissin)

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frecs

Reaction score
Copied from another thread:

Cspr":3vqgmgnp said:
Have a few questions! I have a few unidentified plants, may I post their pictures here? If so, do I use IMG?

Otherwise, I'm wondering if anyone knows if Silktree mimosa (Albizia julibrissin) foliageis okay for rabbits to eat? If so, leaves, seed pods, bark, twigs/branches? It's added to my list of crazy Southeastern USA foliage along with kudzu, so I'm quite curious. I know goats can eat them. I know to avoid the roots because they are counted as a hallucinogenic drug (botany is pretty metal). Thoughts?

That beautiful lacy tree with the pink "puffball" flowers, is quite edible. In fact, the flowers are enjoyed by some humans who like to eat flowers and such.

The Mimosa has been studied for it's use as forage feed for livestock including goats. (Here's one example: http://naldc.nal.usda.gov/download/22633/PDF) I'm not sure if rabbits would find the seeds/pods tasty but apparently the leaves, flowers, and bark/branches are good eats.

Kudzu is also a high protein livestock forage. One word of warning -- if you do not have kudzu on your property and would like to keep it that way -- beware that a very very small piece of leaf finding it's way to your soil it all it takes...

Thank you so much, Frecs! :up:

Also, yes. Kudzu eats the South, and mimosa is working on it. My garden is full of mimosa sprouts and I'm like, "Hmmm. Maybe I could use these somehow?" Now I know I most certainly can. Fantastic. And there are full on trees everywhere near where I live, so even more fresh greens and chews for rabbits. Lovely. :D And apparently it's high in protein, which will be good until my Brassica plants take. I can also always save the seed pods to plant in my garden next spring. Fantastic.

...I'm really way too excited about plants. :lol: My great-granddad was a pretty famous herbalist, so I guess it's blood. XD

Mimosas are everywhere and they do reproduce very very easily. But, they are leguminous and nitrogen fixing for they are good for the soil! Believe it or not, I'm actually growing seedlings/saplings to plant amongst my fruit trees. What I don't feed to my rabbits will serve as mulch for the fruit trees. Mimosas can handle being coppiced/pollarded so they are perfect for both the orchard and as livestock feed. And, they are beautiful. Gotta love that!

Other trees to consider for similar benefits: mulberry and dogwoods. Mulberries are high protein (both the leaves and the fruit) and make good feed for rabbits and chickens. They can be pollarded. Dogwoods likewise handle being coppiced/pollarded so function well as livestock fodder.

Oh, and something else to look around for. Carolina willow. Grows like mad in most Southern ditches (at least around here). Cut some twigs and stick them in the ground where you can grow them. And, once established, harvest for the rabbits. They love it almost as much as rosebush.

Thanks, Frecs! Even I forget to include the Latin names sometimes, but it is important.

We get red osier dogwood here (Cornus serica Syn. C. stolonifera) and it is what we usually refer to as dogwood. I always has the idea it was toxic for rabbits. But according to this it is a preferred browse for deer and rabbits. :?
http://www.agr.gc.ca/eng/managing-your- ... 5845710463

Back