Might get some Rex! Any advice?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LittleFluffyBunnies

Reaction score
So in the Eastern Cape of South Africa, Rex virtually don't exist. But today, I see an ad for Standard Rex! My rabbitosis calls....
So, I want to get a pair to breed. I can't show rabbits, as no rabbit association exists here. I'm just going to breed for pets. They should be popular since they're so rare. And I love them! That fur kills me.
I'm going to get a broken black doe and a black charlie buck.
I've convinced my mom, now just need to ask my dad.

Any advice about the Rex breed? I know they are quite large. How much do I feed them, on average? Is there any special care needed for the fur? What size nest box do they need?

I really hope I can get them!

The fur is super low maintenance, usually doesn't even require any grooming when molting. The main thing to worry about is their feet - since their fur is so short, it can't protect their feet as well and some lines are prone to sore hocks, so if you have wire cages they need something solid to rest on. How much to feed them depends on how your feed is. I'd try about 1 cup a day.

i generally feed mine a cup a day. they aren't particularly huge rabbits, but if you've only had dwarves or something they might be a shock lol. For keeping the foot issues down i cover my entire cage floor with resting mats, it seems to be working. a couple of mine have callouses on their feet, but i suspect a line issue as that breeder kept hers on solid flooring so probably wasn't selecting for that. obviously she never had foot issues but i personally just refuse to deal with solid flooring anymore. selecting for good feet sounds like a nice challenge and will keep me from having to build huge hutches and deal with dirty bunnies from soiled bedding on a daily basis lol.

DO IT!!!!

I love rex... My best friend raises and shows tri coloured rex in Michigan.
Some of the most beautiful rabbits I have ever seen.
Cutest at 2 weeks old!!

Advice:
Sore hocks (already mentioned)
do it
keep an eye on brood does condition... they tend to give a lot to that fur production and kits, so they might need supplements
My friend keeps the kits with the mom for 8 weeks minimum
They cuddle with each other and play on / lay on mom... really freeking cute rabbits...

She has only had 2 nasty attitude rabbits that I can remember... one has been sold (she won at shows, or she would have been eaten)
The other is in my barn making babies, I'm hoping that improves her temper.

They dress out as good as my meat rabbits, but you need to wait a couple months more to get the same size.

Do it!! I'm not experienced with them at all, but I'm chomping at the bit to get mine. I think the black otter doe has been born so I'm just waiting on her to turn 8 weeks old, and the brown otter doe might be born too but the breeder might keep her....

Anyway, what I'm saying is that I'M excited to get into Rex rabbits, and so should you. :lol: Kidding. A little. Plus if they are so rare there, that could be very good for marketing. Sounds like an opportunity I would jump on!

Thanks everyone for the advice!
My dad said yes! I'm picking them up tomorrow. I'm super excited.
I'll be sure to give them plenty of resting pads.
Supplementing the doe should be fine. My dwarf does are the same, they produce big, healthy litters and tons of milk but it takes a lot out of them.

2CrazyFools, you'll have to post pictures when you get some! I'm so happy to be joining the Rex side :lol:
I'll post pics when I get them.

Back