Might be getting a couple angoras

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dayna

Reaction score
A lady is looking for a home for her two angoras. She said that the male is brown, and can not be mated because his babies are all unable to hop? Does anyone know what that could mean?

The female is a "black", Again, I'm not sure what that means. lol

I would be just keeping them as pets I imagine. I really enjoy soft fluffy things and being a dog/cat groomer I imagine I could deal with the fur. :)

So any thoughts on the males issues?

I'm not great with genetics but if the babies can't hop then it would seem there is a gene that you need 2 copies of. Both of the rabbits must have that gene recessive otherwise they wouldn't hop. In that case you would have 25% that didn't hop, 50% that carried the gene and 25% that didn't carry the gene. I haven't heard of a won't hop gene but who knows. I do have some kits that are fed constantly by their mama and are so fat that they don't hop yet lol. My genetic assessment is prone to correction by the wiser members here :)

Kudos! I would certainly never use them to breed if the genetics line up badly and cause lameness :( but I'm sure that wasn't your plan as you already know that's a risk. But as far as the fluffy goodness, you should have so much fun! So.... When are you going to get a spinning wheel then :)

Ha, a spinning wheel for two buns? Mostly I'm looking for a smaller cuddle bun. My big buns do like to cuddle but they are big! I won't be breeding them.

I'm considering having the male neutered so maybe they can be housed together.

I had 2 spinning wheels before I even got my first bunny, then again I've been spinning since late 2007 (not that long compared to some people). Some bunnies also enjoy curling up on your lap while you're spinning their fluff, if you train them.

Can't wait to see pictures, it'll be interesting to see what kind of angora they are

Angoras are on my list of rabbits to get someday. I'd love to breed them and someday spin the fiber. I was really taken back though at the price of the wheels.

ckcs":3qqsq8wt said:
Angoras are on my list of rabbits to get someday. I'd love to breed them and someday spin the fiber. I was really taken back though at the price of the wheels.

Aw, shucks; don't let the price of a spinning wheel frighten you! Here are three alternate suggestions:

1) Learn to spin using a spindle. Until the Renaissance (four or five centuries earlier, if one lived in India or China), all thread/yarn on earth was spun using spindles and all cloth on earth woven by hand. There are hand spindles, foot-powered spindles, and thigh or knee spindles (sometimes also referred to as "Navajo" spindles). Very low cost. If you're not familiar with spindles, The Woolery has quite a selection, and Abby Franquemont has wonderful tutorials.

2) Purchase a used spinning wheel. Many are regularly offered on Ravelry. It's how I got both of mine! :)

3) This one is perhaps the most outrageously fun, weird, and downright mind-expanding suggestion. Look into the "Dodec Spinning Wheel." Its inventor, Edmund Dantes, developed it almost a year ago (late September 2012). It's made of wood, requires no lathe or other specialty wood-working tools, and can be made for--his estimate--approx. $15 of materials (maybe $20 by now). Here's a video of Mr. Dantes demonstrating his wheel: Dodec video Just do a search on the phrase "Dodec spinning wheel" and enjoy the results!

Happy spinning! :D

Danya, unless your lines are running on the small side or you plan on getting English, I wouldn't call angoras small! My frenchies are between 10 - 13 pounds, excepting one tiny little girl around 7 pounds. Not to mention the fluff basically triples their size!! :D

I bought a used spinning wheel from a friend when I got my first angora. I knew it was going to be impossible to stop at just one...

PSFAngoras":1v5opbbo said:
I bought a used spinning wheel from a friend when I got my first angora. I knew it was going to be impossible to stop at just one...
"impossible to stop at just one" spinning wheel? or angora? many have found that wheels propagate on their own, just like rabbits in a colony! :lol:

BTW, I've started preparing DH for the possibility/probability of two Angora rabbits, since a companion of one's own species seems the most humane way to go. You know, in case *the* magic bunny already has a friend.... :)

I'd say impossible on both accounts.

I have a wheel, a kick spindle and a drop spindle, and another drop spindle on the way.

Unfortunately the Angora collection effort is not working out. But the Jersey Woolies are trying to make up the difference.

Latest posts

Back