Register

!!MICE!!

Keeping your rabbits safe from predatory animals, pests, and people.
2 years of membership2 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 5,176.00

!!MICE!!

Post Number:#1  Unread postby wamplercathy » Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:23 pm

There are few animals that I truly hate, but mice are at the top of that very short list. Went out to feed rabbits this morning and found 3 half eaten kits, 1 mia, and a very distressed doe. :evil: So I made a redneck mouse trap out of a 5gal bucket, some wire, a beer can and some peanut butter. Most people place water in the bucket but that would freeze. So I put 3 cups of homemade decon in the bottom. I'm going to get those furry b's. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :mrgreen:

Site Supporter
3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Austria
BunnyBucks: 3,131.00

Re: !!MICE!!

Post Number:#2  Unread postby Preitler » Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:59 pm

Eaten kits?
Mice???

Uhm. I sure would deploy the heaviest, meanest rat traps. And traps for marten etc.

The mice I have here are just annoyed by mousetraps, shrug them off, but anyway, mice never did bother living things.

I'm pretty sure you have mice, but I don't think thats your problem. Rats.

Get min. a dozen snap rat traps, use different bait, nuts work best.

If you ever happen to see a rat - that's the stupid one out of one hundred...
Last edited by Preitler on Sat Jan 02, 2016 4:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
A good day ain't got no rain, a bad day is when I lie in bed and think of things that might have been...

The following user would like to thank Preitler for this post
michaels4gardens

1 year of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 2,248.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby Tiny Buns » Sat Jan 02, 2016 4:03 pm

Also thinking rats. Rats can sneak in through a j feeder or just eat the parts that poke through the wire. Horrible creatures!! Mice tend to just get into the feed but leave the rabbits alone.

Post Number:#4  Unread postby wamplercathy » Sat Jan 02, 2016 4:17 pm

When we first moved out here, 3 years ago, we found a rat mummified in a truck hood. :x Haven't seen any evidence of rats, and we watch for them. The mice we have are large mice not rats. Teeth patterns are different and I checked the dead over real well. Either way I want them gone. :lol: :lol: :evil: Our cat has been wanting in the rabbitry but I won't allow him in. He's a killer and I would walk in to everything dead mice, rabbits, water system. :x :lol: :lol: We've got several traps in the house but the mice trip them and then eat the bait. Every so often we get lucky and nail one of them. :twisted:

Site Supporter
4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 2,586.00

Post Number:#5  Unread postby SuburbanHomesteader » Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:43 pm

Sorry to hear about the lost kits.

Not sure of your situation... We've got enough control over the other critters
here that I put out bait. The only evidence of mice I ever see is the bait keeps
getting eaten.

In over 50 years here, I've never seen a rat or evidence of one. Plenty of other
predators to worry about, though.

Anyway - good luck on catchin' them varmints! I hate mieces to pieces!

The following user would like to thank SuburbanHomesteader for this post
HansenHomestead

1 year of membership
BunnyBucks: 855.00

Post Number:#6  Unread postby Fireclaws bunnbutts » Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:03 pm

Mice can and will eat defenseless things smaller than they are. But I'd place my bets on rats as well. Mice are not big enough to cart off even a newborn rabbit kit, let alone eat three of them. When mice do go for something like that, they generally go for the legs and head.

Site Supporter
3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 2,978.00

Post Number:#7  Unread postby the reluctant farmer » Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:19 am

Oh ick ick ick. Can Killer Cat at least come in with you while you're in there? He might pull some out of the wood work where they'd normally be hidden. Ooo, hope you get those nasties and quick.

1 year of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 2,292.00

Post Number:#8  Unread postby Deer Heart » Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:10 am

I agree, rats, had rats do the same to several young chickens that were just feathering out. Worse yet, they chewed them alive and clearly left the animal alive long enough to be in incredible pain before expiring. Horrible creatures. BUT. What you really want to use for bait is tootsie rolls. Press a small wad on the bottom of your trigger plate on your rat traps, even the smartest rats can't resist and they can't steal it without lethally triggering the trap.

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 34,300.00

Post Number:#9  Unread postby akane » Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:37 am

Mice generally are just a feed nuisance and might spread disease. Rats will eat kits and destroy things on a more massive scale. When they start out they hide quite well but if you don't take the population down they get bolder and bolder. By the time you see a rat you've got a lot of rats. We finally have mostly won the mouse/rat war. It was a year and a half struggle without using poison. We did the plaster bait poisoning. Get a hobby plaster (plaster of paris) or some said instant cement mix works and mix it with powdered tasty foods like cocoa powder, sugar, cornmeal... You can put the bait out right like that. Rotate what you flavor it with. Another way is to mix with about equal peanut butter and leave it a bit oily. The balls will eventually dry and be useless though and it is more appealing to other animals. We tried that once and the cats ate some. The plaster pretty much only causes problems for rodents and it would take putting out a lot of it to impact something bigger. It also won't poison anything higher up the food chain who eats a "poisoned" rodent. What really made me like it was that they also only poop out small amounts of plaster and not green poison bait poop. I didn't want that poop in my small animal cages and on my counters. I'm not sure what all comes out with the green. So far it's working amazingly better than the traps.
http://s1321.beta.photobucket.com/user/takakageri/library/
Don't wonder why people go crazy. Wonder why they don't.

The following user would like to thank akane for this post
wamplercathy

Post Number:#10  Unread postby wamplercathy » Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:38 am

If it were a rat then the bites would have been larger than what was on the kits. The kits reminded me of what a deer looks like after a pack of yotes have been eating it. It was strange. It was almost like a group of mice had attacked and killed the kits. :shrug:

Thanks Akane, I made some poison out of sugar, flour, and baking soda. Here's :beer2: hoping it works.

1 year of membership
BunnyBucks: 855.00

Post Number:#11  Unread postby Fireclaws bunnbutts » Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:57 am

I should also add that mice are generally grain eaters as Akane said, if they can they'll go for feed above all else. Next is insects, if there's no feed, they'll do a damn good job of clearing roaches and crickets out of their area, but only generally attack something larger than themselves/turn predatory if there's a large number of them or if there's absolutely nothing else to eat.

Rats are predators before anything else and will absolutely choose a rabbit kit over a bag of feed. The fact that three kits were eaten at once screams "rat" if it were a weasel or mink, most likely the momma rabbit would have been killed as well.

Post Number:#12  Unread postby wamplercathy » Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:46 pm

To be on the safe side, I'll get some rat traps. But the mice we have are huge. The first one we caught 3 years ago tip the scale at a quarter pound. We thought rat, but a friend of ours, a conservation agent, told us it was a mouse. After doing some research and getting a couple other opinions the consensus was mouse, very large mouse, but mouse. For what ever reason we grow everything big. With our coyotes averaging between 60-80 lbs, adult racoons at 50+, and opossums around 15+ lbs. I find it strange and so does the conservation department, but we don't have any answers yet. There might not be any answers to be found. I agree that this is not normal mouse behavior. But I've become accustom to things not being normal. :(

Either way I want them gone.

Did look at the plaster of paris poison just didn't have any around the house.

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 32,806.00

Post Number:#13  Unread postby ladysown » Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:05 pm

wow.... so large mice that you need to treat like rats.

So do research on how to dispatch rats and treat them the say way..you'll need to vary your method to kill/trap them. Because they are SMART.

I've learned with the rats I have here that a snap trap will work for a week and then I need to leave it unset with bait. they steal the bait and then after two weeks I set the trap and catch two rats (I have two traps). Then repeat. So far I'm catching the youngsters and suspect that mamma rat has left or been caught by feral cats since I've not heard or seen wee young for the last three weeks. Time will tell though... but right now the only ones I'm catching are juveniles in various stages of growth.
ladysown

http://athomepets.weebly.com/
Primary Blog : http://athomepets.weebly.com/at-home-pets-blog.html
Old Blog: blogs/athomepets/

Post Number:#14  Unread postby wamplercathy » Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:45 pm

That's what we do inside the house and garage. I set up the bucket trap so when they fall in they'll get covered in the dusty poison. Then they'll clean themselves and get poisoned. :twisted: Your suppose to have water and they drown. :twisted:
But water would freeze :( I have seen were something had been flailing in the dust. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

And just when I thought it couldn't get worse Tartar feed her kits last night and never covered them back up. :evil: Stupid doe. :evil: lost the whole litter. :evil: Stupid doe. I guess I'll have to be more hands on. :cry:

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 34,300.00

Post Number:#15  Unread postby akane » Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:30 pm

When using baking soda or plaster you do have to have some patience and keep rotating what you mix it with. They have to eat enough of it for effects to build up and they may start to avoid the same mix after awhile. It does work. It just doesn't work in days like commercial poison. It may take a week or 2 to really notice a difference in the population but once you starting getting results and keep the bait out there they die off rather rapidly.
http://s1321.beta.photobucket.com/user/takakageri/library/
Don't wonder why people go crazy. Wonder why they don't.

Next