First Major Death......symptom included, opinions please:)

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macksmom98

Reaction score
I have a meat doe that I purchased to be a mom for our potential 4-h animals, and she came with a buck and other doe. She always looked pissed off and sat in the corner of her cage, was unwilling to breed and never warmed up to us. I just thought she was a difficult doe. Yesterday she had runny poo and she passed away some time last night. I am guessing maybe she had a long standing illness baised on her behavior, but I would love other opinions. I know from following posts here that cocci or enteritis are likely, but wanted to see if anyone had similar experiences to share. And I am super worried about our heard, and our other 4-h buns.

Sorry for the loss Mom. Hope the rest are Ok.

If it were me I'd do a necroscopy on her. Pay attention to the liver, heart and lungs for white spots or blood clots. If you do it, takes pictures and post them, we'll try to help you figure it out.

Quarantine process-not really. It came on quickly and we have had her for 3 months or so, so her initial month of quarantine was over. We have occasionally had sticky poo that was cured with hay and oats, so even seeing that I was concerned but not alarmed, then she was gone.

Necroscopy-she was already in rigor when I found her, and I had to remove her body and get to work. probably too late at this point right? So far everyone is good! Wondering about doing some bene bac and acv to boost health as well as plenty of oats and hay.......

Thank you and keep the responses up:)

Sorry I didn't see this last night. I'm afraid it is a bit late now. The organs begin to degenerate very fast after they pass. Some people freeze them until they have time but they're usually still warm at that point.

Thank you for your comment Homer. She was stiff and cold when I found her in the morning so she must have passed late at night or really early in the am, even then it was probably too late. I have never opened up a rabbit. We don't eat ours, so that whole idea is a bit intimidating and yucky to me, although I have no issues with anyone who does. I grew up on a farm so I understand animals and death, as well as them being a healthy food source. Anyway, after this experience it seems it may be a valuable thing for me to dive into, in the future. <br /><br /> __________ Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:08 am __________ <br /><br /> I have another doe who also came to me acting similar. Her owner said she never wanted to breed and shes been a shy girl. She also has never eaten a lot. We have moved with her and had her a out 5 months, and she took that ok, didn't seem to get too stressed. All my other bunnies have good personalities, they come running when we come to feed and water them and poke their noses to the front of their cages for a nose run from time to time, they act like they enjoy enter acting with us, although not all of them like being picked up or handled. Anyway, thinking about her now and what we need to consider. She's never had runny poo but just seems to have a slow gi system or Something.

Back