Manna Pro

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billylilwigeon

Reaction score
It's made by the same company which makes Calf Manna, and I'm looking for feedback on the "Pro" and "Sho" formulas. Anyone have any luck with them? Complaints/gripes?

One of the local Tractor Supply stores carries it, and I'll most likely use the "Sho" formula if that's the route I end up going.

I've been feeding the Pro formula for a good bit now and have had no problems. It is the best feed I can locate in my area and rarely it can be a bit more dusty at the bottom of the bag like it was at the tail end of that milled batch, but overall the pellets are consistent, it smells fresh when I open the bag, and most importantly all my rabbits eat it and have nice litters, too. I do offer timothy hay or coastal (depending on what bales are available) every day and I also offer random leftover garden bits like carrot tops, so they do get just a bit of variety, but I still think the pellets are their nutritional staple and it has worked just fine so far for me. :)

Best of luck!

Lauren

HH, what changes/improvements have you noticed in regards to their coats? Did they improve at all? It's an intriguing question to me, given the fact that Satins are what I have decided to get into.

I'll admit this. I used Calf Manna as a supplement during my more successful show years and had solid results with it. That is what first caught my attention about the product when I ran across it at TS. It's what struck my curiosity, if you will.

Hi again,

It is hard for me to say about changes/improvements in coats because most of my stock was purchased as youngsters and then blew their baby coats after they grew up some, but I haven't had any problems with bad coats either. This past month everyone has been molting and I am glad that is about finished because the fur has been flying! I had one buck that I always have to brush out or his old coat hangs on, but it appears to run in his family as his breeder told me she had the same problem with his brother and she feeds Purina Show.

Overall I can say that everyone (that isn't molting of course) develops a nice coat and good condition except in the hottest part of summer when the gang cut back on the amount of feed they would consume. At that point I usually buy a bag of Calf Manna as a supplement to help beef them back up and it works just fine. Since I don't have Satins, I am just going to post pictures of my gang from the last year in the sunlight so you can see their coats and maybe that will be helpful:

Sr. Dutch Doe:
Oreo03-30-2010D.jpg

Sr. Mini Lop Buck:
Feyd08-20-2010D.jpg

Sr. Harlequin Buck (a little molty around the edges still in the pic, but you can still see the shine coming in):
Spock09-13-2010.jpg

Sr. English Angora Buck in show coat w/ ~4in staple:
Oats01-26-2010C.jpg

Sr. English Lop Buck:
ET01-26-2010C.jpg

I know several breeders locally use black sunflower seeds to improve coat luster regardless of what pellets they offer. Maybe that is a possibility for you? I hope this is helpful. :)

Lauren

I've been feeding exclusively the Grow out formula until the last month to all my rabbits because they were in a colony. I recently switched the the Sho formula and like it. I prefer higher protein levels. I also blend this with a tiny amount of BOSS, a tiny amount of CalfManna, and a bit of COB. The rabbits are looking awesome on this. The babies are growing out better than any litter I've ever had, and all are maintaining good flesh and coat on this. Instead of switching my nursing does to the 18% formula this time around, I plan on adding just a bit more CalfManna fo them.

I have mostly Thriantas, a couple of young Silver Fox and a young Flemish and all are thriving on this mix equally well.

The primary reason I am blending the extras into the formula is a personal preference. Also, we're approaching winter and I want to offer them a little more warmth by adding fat, since they live outdoors in AK. I know others that feed the Sho formula only to their herds that have more enclosed facilities than mine, and they look stellar.

img_0899.jpg

This is a three month old baby that is being housed with her other female litter mates. They all look great! I think the extra interest in the feed also prevents fur chewing from boredom.

HH, Pulp,

Those are some impressive rabbits. Thanks for posting up the pics.

HH, being in Georgia, did you ever know a woman named Bobbye Schott?

Hi again,

I don't know Bobby personally, but I believe I have seen her name around in association with Netherland Dwarfs in particular. That isn't to say she isn't a big name or well known, but rather I am not from Georgia and I only started showing last year, so the only people I have really met are through my breeds so far. :)

Lauren

Bobbye isn't still in rabbits according to a judge I talked with at the Arkansas State Fair today. He's known her for years, and I guess either her work or her husband's job pretty much forced her to stop showing or judging. It's a shame, too. She was a real asset to the fancy and the showroom alike, both when she lived in Arkansas and after she moved to Georgia.<br /><br />__________ Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:11 pm __________<br /><br />And not to stray too awfully far from the original topic, I did have the chance to chat with a few local breeders today. The results seemed somewhat split between breeders who use Purina AdvantEdge Professional and Manna Pro Sho formula, with the slight tilt actually going to the AdvantEdge. In my mind, I was like, "Great, that means I'm no closer to narrowing down the kind of feed to use than I was when I came over here."

Back