Register

Male vs female as pets

A special place for pet owners to discuss their companion rabbits.
4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 50.00

Male vs female as pets

Post Number:#1  Unread postby Mandz87 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:23 pm

Hello, I haven't gotten a bunny yet, but was wondering what sex makes the better pet. I heard males spray and can get aggressive when they hit breeding age? Anyone have any input? Thanks.

Site Supporter
5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 31,977.00

Re: Male vs female as pets

Post Number:#2  Unread postby Dood » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:03 pm

Males can spray, but so can females.

Males can be aggressive but I find females to be the more aggresive gender since they can have pretty bad PMS while the males are just frustrated they are not breeding and may try and breed you or your cat or a favourite toy. Often the males out grow this by 1-2 years old and settle down to be very devoted pets.

If you neuter your bunny you wont have either of these problems as they are caused by the sex hormones testosterone and estrogen. If you wait to do the surgery after your rabbit starts displaying these behaviours the neutering should help but may not stop the behaviour 100% as it has become a habit.

Not all rabbits get these behaviours, my NZ buck does not spray or show studly behaviour what so ever. My American Chinchilla and Mini Lop bucks do not spray but they chin rub quite a bit and will circle me which is a courtship behaviour.

Some breeds are also known to have a 'feisty' temperament and are more aggressive in general. I would not recommend getting a Netherland Dwarf and I have heard Mini Rex and Mini Satins can have quite the attitude. I havent had Dutch in 30 years but in my experience they can be nippy.

If you do not want to neuter your rabbit then I would suggest getting a male. I would try and find a breeder who has males that are not overly studly.

Good luck

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 2,393.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby Sinnfox » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:14 pm

If you never plan to try breeding them getting the male neutered should cut the spraying out ? What i was told but none of mine are altered in any way so i have no first hand knowledge about that. I have only maybe three males that spray at all...the rest don't really, but I also had a female that decided to spray @.@ I have nearly fourty at the moment, but working on cutting that number almost in half (fifteen adorable kits :P) Most of my sweeter more friendly ones have been male, lately I have gotten a few friendly does but its still the males that are the little doll hearted ones. If you get them from a good breeder either will probably be fine, but I'd lean toward male since I have had better luck getting nicer males. Heck if you were closer I could have given you one :P

__________ Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:14 pm __________

Dood wrote:Some breeds are also known to have a 'feisty' temperament and are more aggressive in general. I would not recommend getting a Netherland Dwarf and I have heard Mini Rex and Mini Satins can have quite the attitude. I havent had Dutch in 30 years but in my experience they can be nippy.

If you do not want to neuter your rabbit then I would suggest getting a male. I would try and find a breeder who has males that are not overly studly.

Good luck

I have had almost nothing but bad luck with mini rex, so if you waned one of them I'd look out of state for a breeder with nice ones, and my one dutch is a snot.

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 22,540.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby Secuono » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:34 pm

All my bucks end up far nicer than any doe. I was actually thinking about this the other day, saying I would recommend a buck over a doe any day.

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 21,530.00

Post Number:#5  Unread postby Kyle@theHeathertoft » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:29 pm

My favorite bunny, the one who gets to be a pet forever, is a doe...but she's super unique. Most does aren't as nice as bucks...they can get pretty cranky, and all my does EXCEPT Breezy (my favorite) don't really like me. Or anything except pellets. They only like bucks for about two to three minutes every few months.

Bucks are nicer and tend to make better pets. I highly reccommend a buck. :)
The Heathertoft Rabbitry;
Quality show and pet rabbits.
Mini Rex and Dutch bred for traditional and modern purposes.

http://kyleheathertoft.wix.com/rabbitry

Let the storm rage on...the cold never bothered me anyway.

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 2,715.00

Post Number:#6  Unread postby dangerbunny » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:34 am

I usually recommend a buck over a doe, bucks tend to be more mellow and friendly.
DangerBunny Farm
Raising purebred Holland Lop rabbits
Focusing on our beautiful BEW bunnies!
http://dangerbunnyfarm.weebly.com/
https://www.facebook.com/DangerbunnyFarm

BunnyBucks: 4,276.00

Post Number:#7  Unread postby WildWolf » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:41 am

I think bucks are more mellow than does... but I also have an exception! My first SF doe is the sweetest doe I've ever met. She asks to be petted, sometimes hops along beside me when I walk by her hutch, ect.
The Wabbit Warren- warren of wonderful wabbits.

United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 31,400.00

Post Number:#8  Unread postby OneAcreFarm » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:00 am

I wholeheartedly agree with everyone else's comments! And, as I said in my email :mrgreen: I think you need this guy....

Br Bl Buck.jpg
Br Bl Buck.jpg (44.98 KiB) Viewed 17453 times

Br Bl Buck2.jpg
Br Bl Buck2.jpg (59.13 KiB) Viewed 17453 times

The rabbit, not the baby! :lol:

He is super sweet, doesn't spray or act aggressive at all. And, he is beautiful and soft!

http://www.oneacrefarmrabbits.com
~A micro-attempt at self-sufficiency~

Sweden Female
BunnyBucks: 6,365.00

Post Number:#9  Unread postby Zab » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:39 am

My bucks have always been a bit nicer than the does, and only one have sprayed :)
http://rabbittalk.com/blogs/zabistic
"If a rabbit defined intelligence the way man does, then the most intelligent animal would be a rabbit, followed by the animal most willing to obey the commands of a rabbit. - Robert Brault, 1938"

Site Supporter
Female
BunnyBucks: 4,448.00

Post Number:#10  Unread postby squidpop » Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:49 am

I agree with everyone too that bucks are nicer than does.

BunnyBucks: 3,666.00

Post Number:#11  Unread postby luvabunny » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:38 am

When I raised lots of the little "pet" breeds, I, too, would generally agree a buck is a better pet than a doe.

However, I can recommend either sex in English Lops. They are just too funny, and beg to be pet, no matter which sex they are.
April Foster
AKF Rabbitry
Quality English Lops
BOB 2014 ARBA National Convention

BunnyBucks: 2,640.00

Post Number:#12  Unread postby Cspr » Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:30 pm

I would say males make better pets if intact, but neutered rabbits would normally make better pets. They get stuck in a kit-like mindset, so they're usually very affectionate and playful. I have a Lion Lop spay who is like a puppy disguised as a rabbit. ;) Maybe look at your local shelter or bunny rescue? They offer rabbits at an affordable price, usually neutered and often wormed/flead/etc. Just make sure to look for original personality. A bunny can warm up to you, but an adult might take months to do so! It's better to go with a bunny that's already cuddly.

I would argue that Mini Rex do make good pets, though. Not for younger kits--too jumpy--but for an older kid and up, they're lovely. All of mine except for one shy kit run up to the bit of cage I'm closest to and beg for pets or noms. I'd also suggest Lion Lops, just be aware their ears and fur require more care than other breeds and they can be a little hyper. Mine was a pet at a kindergarten before it came to me because of the USDA freaking out over it running loose in the classroom, so they work for even littles if that's part of the equation.

Good luck with your search for a bunny!
Koenigland Microfarm
~~~
Raising Netherland Dwarf rabbits and cavies (American and Peruvian) for pet and show.
Gardening for conservation of heirloom, heritage, and native flora.
B-'n'-B for wildlife.
Home for wayward strays.

BunnyBucks: 1,309.00

Post Number:#13  Unread postby Northwinds Rabbitry » Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:54 pm

I would definitely say buck over doe aswell:) much nicer friendlier pets imo:)
Breeding quality PB mini rex and lionheads and loving it.
northwindsrabbitry.weebly.com

United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 5,215.00

Post Number:#14  Unread postby ckcs » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:31 pm

I have a few very nice does but my sweethearts are all boys.

BunnyBucks: 2,859.00

Post Number:#15  Unread postby TheLittleBunny10 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:03 am

my friend has a doe who is spayed, but she still is really not touchy, or likes to be held.
my bucks have ALWAYS been nicer than my doe.

So... I think bucks are better than does :)
I LOVE LOPS !!!

Next