Male humping male

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mystang89

Reaction score
Just as the title says: I have a 1 1/2 year old male that I let out under the car port to run around and get some exercise. Well, I also kept one of the kits from the last litter and I figured I would start letting him, (I'm 99.9% sure its a him, he has something that starts to stick out when I push on his private parts,) run under the car port now. Jax (1 1/2 year old,) comes up to him and wants to hump him. He already got his face once and really doesn't care if he gets front or back. Is this normal? Is Jax just trying to establish dominance? Should I let him continue so they can get it over with or should I stop it?

Dominance. One of my brood does always humped the bucks I put her with. Just watch to make sure it doesn't turn into a fight. I wouldn't leave them alone together.

Alone. Together. Ha!

lol, thanks, I'll keep an eye on them. So this isn't behavior that is just going to stop once the dominance is established?

Definitely a dominance thing. Both bucks and does do it. Agree with Ollitos, don't leave them unsupervised, could definitely cause a fight. And rabbit fights aren't pretty.

Karen

eta: I doubt it will stop once dominance is established because I believe their will always be a test of dominance.

I assume bucks and does act the same way in colonies so how do you keep them from fighting since you leave them together constantly?

mystang89":1ifvf28q said:
I assume bucks and does act the same way in colonies so how do you keep them from fighting since you leave them together constantly?

I would think that because they are together all the time, the dominance issues would be settled. When it's only a temporary setting like allowing two rabbits, male or females to get together for some exercise, that "who's the best rabbit" will always show. I would think introducing any new buck or female into a colony would start the dominance again until it was settled.

Just my thoughts on this issue. Hope someone who has more experience in colony life can help.

Karen

I've noticed that when I pull a humper off another male, his penis is extended. So I now that that some of the humping is sexual.

a7736100":wl7j4a50 said:
I've noticed that when I pull a humper off another male, his penis is extended. So I now that that some of the humping is sexual.

Interesting. Never saw that on my two males, which brought on aggression between the two. Maybe because they were a bit young (4 months) that it was more dominance than sexual? But then the humping happened after the neutering (sorry naive pet owner) and it still was dominance. Not sexual at all.

How old were your males? Just curious.

Karen

ZRabbits":38qcezdy said:
mystang89":38qcezdy said:

I would think that because they are together all the time, the dominance issues would be settled. When it's only a temporary setting like allowing two rabbits, male or females to get together for some exercise, that "who's the best rabbit" will always show. I would think introducing any new buck or female into a colony would start the dominance again until it was settled.

Just my thoughts on this issue. Hope someone who has more experience in colony life can help.

Karen
That would make sense.

Back