Making my own Rabbit Harness/Leash

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caseygman

Reaction score
Hello All!

As a rabbit owner I couldn't find any rabbit harnesses online that would fit a typically larger bunny so I am currently making my own rabbit harness.

I am looking for feedback and suggestion or complains that rabbit owners have with their harnesses.
This could be anything from fitting issues, safety, comfort, or anything else about rabbit harnesses.

Thanks!

I made my rabbits a leash once and one thing to be aware of is that you need to make sure the part between the neck and the front legs is secure. Mostly because if you are basing your pattern on a dog harness, rabbits have smaller, shorter legs than dogs do. The biggest problem I had with the leash I made was that the rabbit's legs would begin to slip out.

Also, I have found that a few leashes for small dogs and cats work really well for rabbits. I will see if I can get a picture of mine.

Awesome thanks for the feedback!

Thats super helpful I'll take that into consideration. And pictures would be great!

Look up styles for H harnesses for rabbits. They are the most widely used harness and the only one accepted by the American Hopping Club. Very often one of the biggest issues is fitting. I see far too many loose harnesses than tight ones. Slipping legs through the harness is a real problem with a loose harness. I like to only be able to fit 2-3 fingers between the harness and body. When putting the harness on the rabbit, make sure to put on the body part before the neck part, and vice versa when you remove it. You never want the only part of the harness to around the neck, because if the rabbit freaks out halfway through putting the harness on and ends up with it around only the neck it could injure itself.

Good luck. Taking them on a harness is fun, mine does hopping and goes to the bookstore with me.

Finally got some pictures of my favorite harness. It goes over around the front legs and attaches behind the neck. My NZW Lionhead mix is happily modeling the leash for the picture. :)
Screenshot 2019-11-01 at 7.09.55 PM.pngScreenshot 2019-11-01 at 7.10.29 PM.pngScreenshot 2019-11-01 at 7.11.21 PM.png

Back