Makeshift nest box?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trinityoaks

Reaction score
Well, crud! I have five does due next week, and I was planning on ordering two more nest boxes from Bass (I have three), but I got caught behind the power curve and haven't done it. I'm leaving town Friday (DH and DS21 will be here to hold the fort down), and I need to put nest boxes in all the cages before I go. Today is Day 25 for the Cals and Day 23 for the Zils. I've made the rounds of TSC, Gebo's, and all the feed stores and managed to come up with only one more nest box. None of us have time to build one before next week. What can I use that would be ready to go? Can I get an appropriately-sized plastic bin to use for now, or are those too lightweight?

I've used a small rubbermade bin with holes drilled in the bottom for drainage and then wired it to the side of the cage so the doe couldn't tip it. It worked really well.

Apparently a larger rubbermaid tub with a hole in the side works too :roll: One of the angora does has decided to start her nest already. (due next week) Inside their "house". Guess I need to get those nest boxes made, eh? Where DOES the time go?

Yup, if you use a lightweight plastic container... or even a cardboard box... be sure to anchor it with wire to the side of the cage. Rabbits are not too particular... but you want to be sure that whatever you use cannot tip.

Latest posts

Back