Make a Rabbit Fur Hat from scratch

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

velacreations

Reaction score
8228039112_68a6670886.jpg

We have a new instructable on how to tan and process rabbit furs. In this example, we make a a rabbit fur hat.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Make-a-Rabbit-Fur-Hat-from-scratch/

Learn more about how we raise rabbits:
http://www.velacreations.com/food/animals/rabbits.html

Thank you! If you like it, please click on the "vote" link in the upper right. It's entered in a sewing contest for keeping warm in the winter.

velacreations":3i0zcw9c said:
Thank you! If you like it, please click on the "vote" link in the upper right. It's entered in a sewing contest for keeping warm in the winter.
Ok, Abe, I clicked "vote" but nothing happened.... :shock: Was it supposed to do something?

Ok, I see it now...I voted, but then it wanted me to log in? Do you have to be member to vote, or was it just asking that?

Wow that is awesome!!!!! Great instructions! I really want to make a pair of mittens out of my champagne. Does anyone know if things made only of rabbit fur wash well or how to do it? You would think mittens would get dirty eventually and need to be cleaned. Just curious.

As expected, we are getting a lot of negative feedback from animal rights activists on this article. While this doesn't surprise us, it is surprising as to how hateful some of these people are.

Some people get it, though, and that's who we wrote the article for!

Thanks to everyone for their positive support!

Yes some people out there can be very hateful if you don't see their view. And this is on any subject. Sorry to hear about the backlash.

I'm a Pet Rabbit owner, and found your instructions on making a rabbit hat really interesting. With having a Flemish, seeing and feeling his fur, see why these rabbits were bred for their coats, as well as their meat.

Thanks for posting the article. Wishing you luck with your endeavors.

Karen

velacreations":13ywf716 said:
As expected, we are getting a lot of negative feedback from animal rights activists on this article. While this doesn't surprise us, it is surprising as to how hateful some of these people are.

Some people get it, though, and that's who we wrote the article for!

Thanks to everyone for their positive support!
I stopped listening to people's opinions LONG ago, just ask anyone in my family.

Thank you for the great idea. Those are cute children and nice looking hats. I like the pattern and plan to make some bunny hats. However, instructions in the article are incomplete for tanning quality clothing fur. The described pickle process using salt and sulfuric (battery) acid destroys bacteria that causes fur to slip but does not tan. Tanning occurs by putting the neutralized rinsed pickled raw hide into a separate tanning solution that changes and preserves the hide structure for a long shelf life. Extreme caution must be taken when handling sulfuric (battery) acid. It is a harsh dangerous chemical that is extremely hazardous. The article shows pickled skins being handled without rubber gloves but does not give any information about how to safely neutralize sulfuric acid before washing and fleshing the hides. Further more, I have learned from experience that skins pickled in sulfuric acid tend to have a short shelf life. There are friendly pickle acids such as Citric Acid that do the same job without the extreme risk of personal or environmental damage. A lot of curing and tanning information is available on many taxidermy web sights. Thanks again for the great idea.

Can you post some links to the web sites you refer to? We have not experienced the short shelf life with the pelts, but we are always curious to see how other people do it.

We rinse the pelts thoroughly before handling, and also that doesn't neutralize the acid completely, it definitely dilutes it to a level where the pelts can be handled with bare hands.

What other tanning solution would you recommend after pickling in acid?

Trapper":cty61seu said:
Thank you for the great idea. Those are cute children and nice looking hats. I like the pattern and plan to make some bunny hats. However, instructions in the article are incomplete for tanning quality clothing fur. The described pickle process using salt and sulfuric (battery) acid destroys bacteria that causes fur to slip but does not tan. Tanning occurs by putting the neutralized rinsed pickled raw hide into a separate tanning solution that changes and preserves the hide structure for a long shelf life. Extreme caution must be taken when handling sulfuric (battery) acid. It is a harsh dangerous chemical that is extremely hazardous. The article shows pickled skins being handled without rubber gloves but does not give any information about how to safely neutralize sulfuric acid before washing and fleshing the hides. Further more, I have learned from experience that skins pickled in sulfuric acid tend to have a short shelf life. There are friendly pickle acids such as Citric Acid that do the same job without the extreme risk of personal or environmental damage. A lot of curing and tanning information is available on many taxidermy web sights. Thanks again for the great idea.

Yes, please elaborate Trapper! Inquiring minds want to know! :) I used the Alum/Salt method for my first pelts, but put them back in a "recharged" alum/salt solution after being fleshed. Is this what you mean by "separate" tanning solution? Thanks!

Latest posts

Back