Register

Lost a litter...born dead

Addressing the special needs of the breeding doe and her kits. Includes nutrition, gestation, nest boxes and materials, and tips to ensure survival of the young.
Site Supporter
3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 14,105.00

Lost a litter...born dead

Post Number:#1  Unread postby alforddm » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:32 pm

Well, I guess it was bound to happen sooner or later. I had a litter born dead. It looks like they may have been dead for at least a few days. They were due today (doe always kindles day 30). She had been a bit "off" the last few days and I had been a bit worried for her. Yesterday there was blood under the cage (which I was hoping was just red urine) but wasn't sure so I gave her some herbs: Comfrey, dewberry, pink silk tree and curly dock. She seemed to like the dock best but when I went out this morning she had eaten everything and I found a dead (underdeveloped kit). This afternoon, I gave her more greens and found 6 more dead babies, all of them seemed underdeveloped. She seemed more herself, so I'm hoping she's done. I'll wait a few days to make sure before I try to rebreed her. I've no clue why this might have happened. She is my oldest doe but still only 2 1/2 years and has given me 7 litters.

I had really been looking forward to this litter as she is my magpie and I had finally gotten her breed to a tri buck that can produce magpie. I'm kicking myself as I just culled a daughter (REW) of hers thinking that I would maybe get a magpie out of this litter to keep. I still have one daughter (chin) that is a great doe. I just wish I had keep the other as a bit of "backup". Isn't that the way it always goes?

I will rebreed her so long as she recovers. I just wish I knew what had happened and that I had gotten this litter... :cry: :cry: :cry:

Site Admin
7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 58,648.00

Re: Lost a litter...born dead

Post Number:#2  Unread postby MaggieJ » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:47 pm

There's no telling what may have caused a premature kindling, but with her track record, I'd be inclined to be optimistic that she'll go on to give you lots more good litters. Sounds like she kindled early, the kits were either born dead or too weak to survive, so she covered them up to dispose of them. Not surprising if she seemed a bit off for a few days.

I'm not minimizing the loss--especially since you had reasons to particularly want this litter--but there's a very good chance it was what people call so inaccurately a "one off."

Site Supporter
3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 14,105.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby alforddm » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:06 pm

They weren't born early. Today was day 30 and she usually kindles day 30. From the looks of them, I think they had died a few days prior to kindling as they still looked immature (but obviously born dead). Yeah, it sucks but it's just one of those things. I consider myself lucky. I've been raising rabbits for 3 years now (probably close to 300 kits total) and this is the first time I've experienced this. I've lost 3 litters to first time does not nesting correctly but that is it.

Pretty good overall I guess. Just hope she recovers Ok. I'd really like to get another keeper doe out of her.

Site Admin
7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 58,648.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby MaggieJ » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:40 pm

Oh, sorry, I misunderstood. When you said "underdeveloped" I didn't think of them dying in utero and then being born dead at full term.

All the same, I'd be optimistic. It's no wonder she was feeling off, but as long as there is no sign of infection, she'll probably be fine.

:clover: :clover: :clover: