loss of hair. Wat is it?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

horsegirl0215

Reaction score
My rabbits fur is rubbed off on it's back.What is wrong.It is a baby (not even over 6 months) and i am keeping it with 2 other babies.It is a buck and i am keeping it with a buck and a doe. Can anybody tell me wat it is? :hmm:

I am really hoping the "six months" was a misnomer and you meant 6 weeks. A 6 month old buck is almost an "adult" buck... it certainly should not be in a cage with another adult buck. You can expect your doe to have babies shortly.

Your little bucks are maturing sexually and probably scuffling with each other and pulling fur out. They may begin to fight seriously and do real harm to each other.

I don't know how large their cage or pen may be, but unless they are in a colony with ample room to get away from each other, this may create major problems. Your little doe is likely pregnant already and needs her own space and a nest box. Your bucks need to be separated from each other.

It could be a fur mite problem, but regardless of the cause of the fur loss, you need to make changes to their home.

no i said r not even 6 months old and not close i will tell u wat age they r but firs i have to go to my other house to look at the calander. I will tell u how old they r.

It is either a parasite or conflict with the other bunnies - either way he should be seperated

and the doe should have a house of her own too so you don't have any shocks ;)

my oldest one is just over 2 months<br /><br />__________ Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:49 pm __________<br /><br />could it just be he is rubbing it on the cage some where

There is a lot of difference between "just over two months old" and "not even six months". :roll: We can only give you good advice if we have accurate details.

Chances are the others are chewing on his fur. Are you finding any bits of fur in the cage?

Fur mites are also a possibility. Does the skin where the fur is missing look red, scaly or irritated?

In any case, HG, it is time to be thinking about those separate cages!

well i think the chewing sounds about right because his fur is almost down to the nub but not quite and the skin is not scaley,red,or irritated.The problem with this is i can not find any fur in,on,or close to the cage.

How big is their cage?

This kind of behaviour is often the result of overcrowding and/or boredom. Maybe if you give them some nice apple branches (or willow) to chew on they will do less of this while you figure out a better housing system for them.

well i am feeding them gunie pig/hamster food it has like a lot of seeds and stuff.They seem to like it.i also feed an alfalfa based grain to my babbies.i just bought some food that is supposed to be great for babbies and breeding does.

horsegirl0215":1abhmp31 said:
well i am feeding them gunie pig/hamster food it has like a lot of seeds and stuff.They seem to like it.i also feed an alfalfa based grain to my babbies.i just bought some food that is supposed to be great for babbies and breeding does.

We are unfamiliar with what is available there. Can you get rabbit pellets? There are a number of good plants that are in the more tropic places that we can't get here in Canada or the US. Maybe some of the other members will know them. I assume you have sweet potatos there, and the vines are good. Do you live in the city or in a rural area?

Do you mean an alfalfa-based pellet? What percentage protein is it? It should be on the label. I don't know about the hamster/guinea pig food. If you list the ingredients, perhaps we can help you determine if it is suitable for the rabbits.

Again, I ask, how big is their cage?<br /><br />__________ Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:20 pm __________<br /><br />Uh, AVD... Horsegirl lives in Philippi, West Virginia.

hamster food is not great - guinea pig food if quality can be used but it is more expensive than rabbit food as it has to have added Vit C

their cage size allow room to hop around,hide under igloo,and lay down. um i will tell u about the food when i look at it

Hg, I understand that cage space is probably at a premium (it is with everyone that raises rabbits), but even with large cages, rabbits should be separated. Two bucks in a cage may do ok for a while, but with a doe in there as well, they'll fight. I would definitely consider other housing options.

Latest posts

Back