Losing Sleep

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

man-alive

Reaction score
Well I have been considered breeding a few colored rabbits (eye candy) to sell as pets and so forth in my area, hoping to maybe pay for the feed of my rabbits. Just to get out what i'm putting in you know? One thing i'm having a hard time with, is not knowing to whom i'm selling a pet bunny to. I don't know if the future owner isn't a nutcase and will put my animals in a bad enviroment (just to phrase it lightly, I think most can figure out what I mean by "nutcase" and "bad enviroment"). How do you go about selling a rabbit to an unknown person without losing sleep at night. I know if I ever sold one of my NZW rabbits its probably going to be eaten. And I'm ok with that, but selling a pet, that might possibly be going to an unfriendly home, and living years in that situation. Thats what i'm trying to come to terms with. This is something I would love to do (selling pet rabbits), so is there anything that you guys do to make it easy/easier?

I make the people make an appointment and sit down and talk to me. You get vibes from people and you have the right to say no at anytime. I also make the parents( will not let anyone 18 or younger) sign the bill of sale. I let them stay and ask as many questions as possible and some. I feel even better having people reserve their baby that won't be available for another 2 months.... They will or will not be phased by instant gratification not being convinent.

That makes sense. Because I know I wouldn't have a problem selling an animal to alot of people, its the weirdos that make me nervous. Though talking to people will probably help me to "weed" through said weirdos. Is it kosher to make a list of requirments that an inquiring person must have before making a purchase? I know you have to do that to a few animals here in Missouri, like if you want to become a falconer and such, you have to send in a list of the equipment you have (among other things) before proceeding. Like a minimal cage size, and so forth.

Falconry is an entirely different situation from all other animal keeping. It is the last apprenticeship based hobby or career and since it deals with wild animals requires records for the government. If you go raise livestock no one cares what your equipment or feed list is so long as if someone comes out the animals are in good shape with clean cages, suitable food, and water present.

However it is perfectly acceptable to put any requirements list you want on people. Many make rather unrealistic lists like it must have basically a room to itself to wander in with 15-18 sq ft or larger cages. Everyone has their requirements. Some just have fewer than others right down to those that don't care what you do with it once it leaves their property so long as the cash is there or the check clears.

man-alive":3k1pbova said:
That makes sense. Because I know I wouldn't have a problem selling an animal to alot of people, its the weirdos that make me nervous. Though talking to people will probably help me to "weed" through said weirdos. Is it kosher to make a list of requirments that an inquiring person must have before making a purchase? I know you have to do that to a few animals here in Missouri, like if you want to become a falconer and such, you have to send in a list of the equipment you have (among other things) before proceeding. Like a minimal cage size, and so forth.

Keep in mind that once that animal leaves your property, it is not yours any longer. You cannot REQUIRE people to have this or that just for a pet rabbit. Well, you COULD, but you probably won't sell many rabbits that way. That is what the "rescue" organizations do and they wonder why there are so many animal sitting in rescues? You can suggest things that are useful and state that you are willing to take the animal back at any time if there is a need. No refund, of course... ;)

Aye, I guess thats just the nature of it all then. I guess I will just have to rely on meeting the people before a purchase is made... thanks for the replies, they were most helpful.

Its a gamble and most people here will eventually loose the rabbit within 2ish years. They either get sick, given away, sold, tossed outside, die from lack of care, such a small pet that a lot of people just don't care once their kids loose interest or the care of the rabbit becomes too pricy or takes too much time. Heck, I got rid of my pet rabbits years ago because of their nasty smell and mess. Rabbits are disgusting and stink if not kept in a metal outdoor cage or aren't litterbox trained, and some will never get that.
If I sold my rabbits as pets, I can only hope they will be taken care of, but there is no guarantee and I need to get over the possibilities of all things going wrong. All you can do is try to educate them and get them to understand what they are getting into.

Latest posts

Back