Losing kits and a breeding doe

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dollcan

Reaction score
Greetings, This is my first time posting in years! (I've been learning lots from what you share, thanks)

Last week I lost a little of 9 due to runny stools.

Over-night, one of my breeding does died. I had not seen any loose stools with her but beginning yesterday afternoon she stopped eating and drinking. Until this point she seemed quite healthy and has given me two successful litters.

Loosing so many in a short time frame has me feeling sad but also panicky. I began last fall with used cages and a make-shift 10x10 barn. Today I want to scrap the cages and redo everything. Am I just paranoid?

I have 1 litter from a different doe that are close to market size and a litter from the breeder that died who are 5 weeks old.

Ideas on how to calm this realitively new rabbiter down?

My suggestion would be to use ammonia based cleaner (like a toilet bowl cleaner... wow)
pull all the wire cages....
put out in the lawn in the sun...
Spray with cleanser
let sit a bit (5-10 minutes) then power wash everything very well, so your rabbits don't lick up the residue....
Let dry in bright sunshine... before reinstalling.
Also, make sure the barn isn't made from pressure treated wood were the rabbits can chew it....

I have problems with weaning enteritis and I feel your pain!!
Almost want to throw in the towel.... gggrrrr.

:yeahthat:

Good advice from SarniaTricia. :)

Cheap household ammonia will do the job and isn't as expensive as toilet bowl cleaners. It is the best thing for killing coccidiosis.

Leave the cages out for several days after cleaning. UV kills germs.

Don't use bleach -- ammonia is far better against coccidiosis, if that is the problem with the kits.

You don't say the age of the kits that died. If they were of weaning age, it could be dietary, weaning enteritis, as Tricia mentioned.

Grass-hay is a useful supplement for any digestive issues.

Your doe may have had GI stasis. Was she eating or pooping at all before she died? I tend to think it was a different issue to what killed the kits. (Unless she was their mom and shared a cage . . . then we'd need to rethink.)

The doe was mom to a couple of the kits 6 weeks old, who died.

The others were from a different doe who is fine and healthy at the moment and were 12 weeks. Sibblings of the older ones are in a different cage and thriving well - almost dressout weight.

I'm going to get some ammonia for sure. Tried bleach but it really didn't seem to help.

Thanks all for the help.

I'm still considering new cages though. *sigh

Back