Looks like we'll lose Dora :(

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anntann

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
My pretty blue Beveren 9 month old doe. She's been sitting a lot, but still eating..at least she hops over to the food dish with the other 2 and appears to be eating. But I went to pick her up today and she's dropped probably 3 lbs in the last week. She's just bones with a LOT of loose skin. Not sure what to do about her. She doesn't appear to be in pain..no whining, grinding, or whimpering. I bred her about 5 weeks ago, but she never lifted for the buck, so I was pretty sure she wasn't pregnant.

No other symptoms...just skin and bones. And lethargic now. I'm going to try electrolytes and some carrot bits to see if I can get her to eat more. She's been getting plenty of alfalfa hay, along with grains and salt/minerals. but...

bugger :(

Oh, Ann, I'm sorry. If she seems to be acting normal, but losing weight, you might try banana. I've heard that can be a great weight gainer and has lots of nutrients. Just a thought. Good luck and let us know how she does.

Oh, I hope not, Ann! :( But that is a huge weight loss... very scary. I wish I had some good advice for you, but electrolytes and getting any kind of food into her sounds like the best thing to try. Kitchen oatmeal might tempt her.

:( poor you and her - though I'm glaad she's not suffering - that way you can either seperate her and stuff her full of good stuff or let her enjoy her companions while stuffing her full of good stuff - I lost a doe this fall in a similar way - and you all know how paranoid I am about suffering ...

you don't think it's worms or an internal parasite?

either ways, it's horrid to lose an animal....particularly if you can't figure out why they went off.

try a dose of mineral oil, followed by massage-- feel the gut- any lumps that would indicate GI stasis? Yeah- get the electrolytes into her- I've had rabbits LOOK like they were eating- actually die with hay in their mouth- it was stasis..
Since she is moving towards the food, she has an interest in fighting whatever is wrong. If you can also get some glucose solution that you can inject subQ, that will help provide some energy for her.

She's now in a pen alone. Smaller pen, so there's nothing to do BUT EAT!. So far she's eaten 2/3 cup of pellets, some hay, 1" of banana, and some romaine. And about a pint of water.

I'm a little suspicious that she poisoned herself. She has a tendency to eat strange things. like...the plastic that the crocks are made from, for instance. And the walls. She was gnawing on the wallboard before I got THAT stopped. (horse hair plaster and lathe) we'll see how she does.

Is she pooping (it's easier to see once they are alone)
she might be constipated, old trick for that is some liquid soap in the butt

They used lime in those old plaster mixes, didn't they? Could well be that it threw her system out of whack. I know that plaster of Paris is toxic to rats.

At least she is eating... maybe she'll be able to make a come-back.

she's still hanging in there.

Poops are numerous, but VERY small. At first I thought they were cecotropes. Slightly larger than cecotropes, and firm, not hard and dry, nor squishy. so..that's good. I guess.

Yes, the plaster is slaked lime mixed with horse hair. She's a nice rabbit. I should have noticed earlier. She's been kind of "quiet" for the last few weeks...I was thinking it was "oo. I'm pregnant". :(

blah. rabbits.

I've now started ACV in her water, hoping that there's a problem with gut flora or acidity. If she did consume large amounts of lime, it would have sent her stomach into la-la land with it's high alkalinity. We'll see how it goes. She really likes food..nibbling almost continuously..she's just not eating a LOT yet. I'm really really praying this adjusts.

As usual tho...time will tell.

Oh Ann, that sucks that she isn't feeling well. :( It sounds like you are doing a great job taking care of her though- fingers crossed that she will pull through!

Lauren

You raise a good point, Jack. I have often heard of using Plaster of Paris mixed with various attractants to kill rats. Apparently it does not kill because it is toxic but rather because it creates an obstruction in the digestive tract. It makes them thirsty, they drink and the plaster sets up. I don't know if this would apply with old plaster or not. Possibly the problem is not the plaster, per se, but something in the plaster... mould or other contaminant. Who knows what they may have added to plaster mixes back when.

Here is a link about the properties of gypsum / plaster of Paris:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calcium_sulfate

Nibbling is a good sign. Have you tried pineapple juice to try to clear out any blockages? If she's eating and pooping, stuff is still traveling through the digestive tract, but it could be that there is something in there that is keeping her from eating more all at once. I had no idea that a rabbit could have Pica. lol

on that track payapa may help a bit too :(
wish we had greens - they'd help too in small doses maybe

Back