Looks like we'll lose Dora :(

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dandelions have a bit of a laxative affect...getting it out of her system may be helpful. and at fancy grocery stores you can often find dandelion leaves.

hmmm...laxative. maybe.

she's still nibbling. Moved around a little last night while I was feeding everyone, and she's still eating the pellets, and hay. I'm going to try the pineapple juice and papaya. Plaster won't reset, so the most that could happen is that it's created a sludge in her gut. like really fine sand.

Sorry to hear whats happened. Do you know how much she is peeing? Rabbits can't store calcium and pee out what they don't need everyday, so high levels might have caused sludge in her bladder.

she's not peeing much. enough that I've noticed it in the tray, tho. If I can just get her through the next week, I think we'll have passed the hardest spot.

I had a horse once that lost a ton of blood through an accident. Every morning the vet who was taking care of her at his stable (good friend of mine) would go out and see this mare just laying flat out in the stall, not moving (like dora seems sometimes) and he'd think "well, that's that then. she's dead". He'd go into the stall and up would pop her head to look at him. he said later that she was the worst he'd ever seen and still recover completely. but that it's common for animals to go into a sort of hibernation when they're really ill. come out of it when they need to eat or drink...but otherwise just conserve all energy.

However...every time I open the door to the room I brace myself.<br /><br />__________ Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:46 pm __________<br /><br />btw, thank you ALL for your help, ideas, support. It does help :)

i'd be inclined to soak some greens in water to encourage water consumption. :)

and there was something somewhere that showed that feeding acidic fruits helps with the breakdown of calcium...so perhaps a few slices of orange might help?

Thanks :) for the good luck and the ideas :)<br /><br />__________ Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:53 am __________<br /><br />Another update: Last night Mike thought she looked better. This morning he came downstairs before I'd done chores and said "shes bright eyed and moving". I checked and sure enough..she's brighter, more alert. She's eaten more pellets and some papaya, more of her hay, and more water. She's only drinking maybe 1/2cup per day, but she definitely had more over night.

And, she nibbled at the crushed pineapple I put in for her this morning. Came over when I was doing chores and checked me out, and then nibbled at the pineapple :)

More small poops, more urine...so at least she's still moving things through.

more output means she's getting more from the input and that's a good thing for sure :)<br /><br />__________ Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:38 pm __________<br /><br />more output means she's getting more from the input and that's a good thing for sure :)

Don't get your hopes up, folks. She's still just skin and bones. She may not have enough stamina or reserves to keep going. Every day she eats, tho, is one day closer to flushing the system, I figure. there's really nothing lumpy or heavy feeling in her gut area, no bloating, so that's a good sign.

I am worried about kidneys tho. And liver. If she did poison herself it may have done permanent damage and she simply won't recover.

BUT! As long as she's breathing on her own, I'll keep trying to temp her to eat!

it's amazing how little kidney function it takes to do ok .. and how beautifully livers regenerate if given the right conditions ...

I'm hopefully for her and you - sometimes that turned corner can be a huge deal ..

__________ Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:45 pm __________

it's amazing how little kidney function it takes to do ok .. and how beautifully livers regenerate if given the right conditions ...

I'm hopefully for her and you - sometimes that turned corner can be a huge deal ..<br /><br />__________ Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:48 pm __________<br /><br />

I'm very bad at not getting my hopes up, Ann! ;) Especially when I see each day that she's made it through another 24 hours. :D

Off topic: Brody, I see you got your old account back! Was Maggie able to merge your stats from the Pongo account?

Miss M":12oghyvw said:
Off topic: Brody, I see you got your old account back! Was Maggie able to merge your stats from the Pongo account?

She did mine-- look at all those BunnyBucks, just itching to be spent!

Back