looking to tame my first house rabbit

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DirtyMarkVlp

Reaction score
where can i find some reliable info on raising a house bunny. i found one i want to bring inside but im not sure what all that entails. im not wiling to fix her and im wondering if its worth having her inside or if its too big a risk to her and to my property. do you all let your house rabbits free range all the time? cage when you are out and about, and free range when at home? any links would be appreciated

I ALWAYS supervise my house rabbits.

I have a "rabbit proof" house with tiled floors (for easy "accident" clean ups) solid wood furniture (which I don't mind getting teeth marks on) and all electrical out of range of bunny teeth (or do I thought :( one of mine jumped from the kitchen floor to a chair and then to the counter and chewed up the microwave cord :shock: which thankfully was unplugged at the time or I would have come back from the laundry room to a BBQ'd bunny)

Mine also like to dig/scratch at carpets and have destroyed the middle of a 4' throw rug which is now theirs :roll:

I had a house rabbit when I had my house in Toronto. I have no idea what breed it was but it as black and white with blue eyes just like a husky. I think it had the run of the house for about four or five years. After a couple of weeks of accidents in the corners of rooms it was fully litter trained and it was rare that there was a problem after that. I found the corner that it preferred, fortunately it was behind the bar in the basement, and set up a box with newspapers in it and after a few days of that I replaced the newspapers with litter. After that it was fine.

It sure went after wires but it left electrical cords alone. It would eat speaker wires and game console wires but left the TV and lamp power cords alone. After some trial and error it was all rabbit proofed and it was fine.

It was fun to watch it doing binkies in the middle of the living room or sprawled out comfortably under the dining room table. It would follow me around the house from room to room. I would go into another room and just wait a minute until a little twitchy nose showed itself peeking around the door frame then it would hop in to the room and try to supervise whatever it was that I was doing. I miss the little booger.

sorry, I know this is late :oops:
My rabbits eat the weirdest things, so I constantly have to supervise them. I left one alone in the house by accident (I went to dinner x3) and it ate a few chunks off my laptop cord, as well as a slice of the wooden table legs. :p I think I learned my lesson after that :shock:

is your rabbit okay funnies, after eating the cord and table?

Cords. :x

The bunny in my avatar was a "house bunny" for a couple months. He ate 6 inches of the Wii sensor bar cord and bit through the plastic casing on two of the power supplies for our game systems. (Once he hit the copper wire underneath, he stopped trying to chew a particular cord.) We baby-gated the heck out of our entertainment center, but I am certain that he could teleport through it because I found him "stuck" inside the gated area a dozen times before we gave up and put him back outside. He only chewed cords that were actually plugged into something... not the loose controller cords that were lying on the bottom shelf. :?

If I ever try another house bunny, it will be confined to a tile floor room that doesn't have anything of value plugged in. I found bunny poops in the couch cushions and behind the furniture, in the cracks on the stone hearth, and wedged in between carpet and floor where the carpet peeled up, and even inside a forgotten sneaker. They drop poop pebbles everywhere! Couldn't leave a book within reach, either.

They are amusing to watch, but just too destructive for me. My dog was so tolerant, though. The rabbit would run over her while she was sleeping. Sometimes he'd just hop up on her ribs and sit. She just laid there and took it. The cat, however, was into bunny-chasing - unless there was a pile of greens to be shared. I think mostly the rabbit wasn't too threatened by the cat, but I could see the predator switch get turned on in my cat's eyes when the bunny started doing racing laps around the furniture. I didn't want either of them to get hurt if the cat decided to try for a neck bite.

While the rabbit (Chowder) was pretty docile and social inside a cage, he didn't like being petted when he was roaming free. That kind of lessened the allure of having a house bunny. No amount of invitation could convince him to give cuddles. I could bribe him to sit by me if I had food for him, but that was all. Maybe plenty of other rabbits would be more personable. But I'd held him from birth and I was always gentle with him. I would love a house bunny that wants to cuddle, or at least sit by me and let me pet him.

We have a house bunny, a little lionhead named Aslan. :)

You're probably not getting links, because most of the house rabbit sites out there are a bit... overbearing. :?

Aslan was three years old and very stand-offish when he came to us. It took him a while, but he warmed up to us and now likes being a lap rabbit for short periods. He would have the run of the house as long as we are home, but confines himself to one room. I believe he doesn't want to leave it because he'd have to cross a big open space (Danger! Hawks!) in order to get anywhere else. I'm actually glad he doesn't leave this room, because he will occasionally get homicidal and run under and between your feet as you are walking.

We have linoleum. This has been a lifesaver. We have discovered that leaving a few of his poops here and there in the corners mostly keeps him from marking his territory with urine. :sick: He does end up in the slammer when he does leave a puddle somewhere, and he knows it's forbidden. Sometimes, he'll even tell on himself. He'll pee on the floor and then start thumping and running away, because he knows you're going to stick him in his cage, and he's already protesting before you even know he's done it. :lol:

He does have an awful time refraining from gnawing on wooden things. He knows this is forbidden, too, but he can't help himself sometimes. The baseboards, chairs, table, and bookshelves have all gotten it.

When I found the job he'd done on my mom's ethernet cable, I couldn't believe it still worked. I have chicken wire going all the way across the one wall with a bunch of computer cords. Unless he decides to chew the chicken wire (which rabbits can chew through), the cords are out of reach.

He's a fun little bunny, though, and the kids adore him. They pick him up and take him other places around the house, or hold him while they're at the computer.

We do put him in his cage when we leave. He cooperates rather eagerly if you shake the Cheerios container. Or Wheat Thins. He's crazy about both of them.

Back