Look what is in MY yard!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anntann

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
I saw this critter romping around in the front the other day, and now he's sort of living in the backyard (fenced in, but he can squiggle under to get out). I'm thinking about using a livetrap to try to catch him. Somebody is missing a pet :) Any ideas for how to capture the beastie? We have some nasty dogs in the area, and the cats are often let out to roam at night..plus a lot of coons here, so leaving him out on his own is probably NOT a good idea for long term.View attachment yardbunny.jpg

Rather a pretty beastie, isn't he?

I'd try the live trap baited with a variety - pellets, dry bread, a bit of apple maybe. I'd also include a small dish of water if there is room. Water is harder to come by than food for many rabbits.

ahh. water. probably a good idea here. it's been horribly dry the last month. Although there are dozens of bird baths and dog dishes out and about. And I'll put out all of the above. Still plenty to eat here, but it's drying down and getting ready for winter pretty quickly.

oh wow its funny how all us serious rabbit keepers get strange free range bunnies in our yards from time to time... do you think the lost bunnies know this and come hang out where they are appreciated?? :)

He's actually a very rich chocolate brown color, I think...it's hard to tell as he runs by :lol: He's been sitting out in the front yard lately (figures...I put the trap in the BACK yard). Short ears, round head, dense looking fur.

haven't seen him today, tho. Hope he's still okay.

Saw him again this morning. VERY happily eating under the bird feeder. in the FRONT yard.

I did catch something in my trap tho. 2 squirrels. Well, might have been the same squirrel twice...not sure on that. Yippee. squirrels. :roll:

I'm kind of thinking about putting the small group colony outside in a big cage, with the trap nearby. Maybe the whole "oh! lookie! friends!!" thing would draw him out.

Or...he can just continue his life of freedom :D

If he is feeding under the bird feeder, perhaps putting the trap there would work. He's probably quite happy if he has made his initial adjustment, but his life is likely to be short. On the other hand, what are you going to do with him if you do catch him? He's not likely to fit in well with your rabbit plans and you will need to be scrupulous about isolation protocols.

If I do catch him/her, plan is to pray he's neutered. :D If he is, he can be companion rabbit to Sam, who is VERY lonely. I'd keep him in the greenhouse building for a month to be sure he's not sick with something, (and would likely put the extra 2 angoras in the building with him since they're just woolers and can't be in with the girls, or the boys, or anywhere convenient :x

If he's not neutered already, I would probably take him to the House rabbit people here. They're VERY nice folks, and really good at re-homing.

Latest posts

Back