long haired rabbits - a comparison...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brody

Reaction score
Having lived with a few varieties of rabbit over the years - ranging from lovely mutt rabbits to papered show winning bunnies I have lots of thoughts about INDIVIDUAL rabbits and their breeds
I am getting more and more into fibre rabbits lately though and have had the fortune to live with many varieties of long haired rabbits - I'd love to know if my observations are unique to the individuals in my life or typical of other people's experiences

Jersy Wooly - easy care coat relatively - small litter size - small volume of useable fibre
friendly and often bold (I have one SHY doe in my gang but she perhaps didn't have the nicest start to life)

French Angora - a lovely big rabbit - needs to be watched for blockage - infrequent combing maintains coat ok - a laid back rabbit

English Angora - Puff daddy came in so matted you could hardly tell which end was which .. he needs more active work on his coat than any other bunny - his fibre is fine and glorious though - he is a total character - not sure how much of that is breed and how much is him though

Satin Angora - the 3 I have had range more rabbit to rabbit than any other breed - perhaps because they are a fairly new breed? the coat is lovely - less volume than french or english but the sheen is quite spectacular - temperment seems stable and calm

Lionhead ... only here cause some have pretty long hair - darling - not a fibre bunny but very attractive and cute - appealing to many

Chuck is more English angora than anything else, and it's shows BIG TIME. His wool is more likely to matt if I don't groom him weekly (specially now that he's in his own cage). his wool is VERY fine and thick.

Trufflebee, the Jersey Wooly,...the area around his bum will matt if I'm not careful, but other than that, I bet I could let him go from plucking to plucking (3 month period) and he would only need a light grooming before I plucked him.

One thing I've noticed in the kits from CB and FLB is that I can tell the difference by looking as to who's is whose. FLB's kits have a normal kind of head (normal as in not huge). CB's kits (she has full blood English as a parent, the others have full blood English as a grandparent) all have HUGE fluffy heads, and it was obvious from the first week.

CB hsa the finest wool of the three ladies. She's also the lightest weight. Her wool is easier to spin, but it's also the most likely to be forming a tangle when I pull her out for a grooming. She's never had an actual matt...but sometimes I can feel things starting to tangle down close to the skin on her.

I'm hoping we can get RiverPines on here eventually to help with the fiber buns. She's had them for decades and JUST breeds for wool production.

Latest posts

Back