Register

Lonely

Discussion of fur breeds, tanning pelts, using the furs, marketing.
9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 1,864.00

Lonely

Post Number:#1  Unread postby avdpas77 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:03 am

I don't really use the fur on my rabbits... this forum just looked lonely 8-)
breeder of the Midwest's most mixed up pedigreed rabbits

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 1,540.00

Re: Lonely

Post Number:#2  Unread postby Brody » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:05 am

I love your siggy avd :)
I have a friend who has been given a bunch of wild rabbit pelts he is trying to convert them into a baby blanket .. he borrowed some readng material from us (I had no idea we had anything on tanning here!!)

If he follows through I'll ask for pictures to post here
“The crafty rabbit has three different entrances to its lair”
Chinese Proverb

http://www.vareharrifarm.blogspot.com

BunnyBucks: 0.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby Tracy » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:27 am

I asked my daughter last night if we should save Hoggle's pelt after he dies and she was pretty adamant about him being buried "like everyone else"....I would save it though if she didn't mind. He's a purty boy :).

Site Supporter
BunnyBucks: 4,796.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby Anntann » Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:11 am

:D I've been fondling the group that are about to go off to the stew pot...and they'd make a LOVELY coverlet. I'm not sure I'm ready to attempt the whole tanning thing tho. Although...I'm told, and have read, that rabbit skin tanning isn't hard. so....

Post Number:#5  Unread postby Brody » Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:13 am

it seems to me that you might as well use every bit of an animal that you can - it just makes sense to me somehow
Chinese Proverb

Site Admin
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 61,334.00

Post Number:#6  Unread postby MaggieJ » Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:10 pm

It is a shame to waste the pelts... which is why I wanted to add this forum. One of the HT members, Kyah, is making a beautiful blanket for her nephew out of pelts she tanned. She used this method:
http://www.primitiveways.com/rabbit_skin_blanket.html

The whole Primitive Ways site is fascinating! :bouncy:

If you're not quite ready for tanning, Ann, the pelts can be stored in the freezer. Very young fryers have fragile skins though... Roasters make sturdier furs.
Last edited by MaggieJ on Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sojourning in 1894 . . .

BunnyBucks: 1,864.00

Post Number:#7  Unread postby avdpas77 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:36 pm

Anntann wrote::D I've been fondling the group that are about to go off to the stew pot...

I think there are laws against that sort of thing, Ann :tomato:
breeder of the Midwest's most mixed up pedigreed rabbits

Site Supporter
BunnyBucks: 4,796.00

Post Number:#8  Unread postby Anntann » Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:46 pm

:slap:
<ann goes off quietly into the night....>

Post Number:#9  Unread postby Briza » Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:09 pm

I can't tell you how many times we have filled up the freezer with good intentions.
It just seems such a huge undertaking. We did a few small batches years ago when the kids were home to help but needed more practice. Some ended up with holes in them and other little problems but we do hate wasting such a beautiful resource.
I need to learn to get the skins perfectly finished!
B~

BunnyBucks: 15.00

Post Number:#10  Unread postby Kyah » Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:25 pm

Good idea Maggie, to include this to the forum. It is really difficult to find good information online about home tanning rabbit skins.

I can't tell you how many times we have filled up the freezer with good intentions.
It just seems such a huge undertaking. We did a few small batches years ago when the kids were home to help but needed more practice. Some ended up with holes in them and other little problems but we do hate wasting such a beautiful resource.
I need to learn to get the skins perfectly finished!
B~

It can be overwhelming, for sure. I think the biggest mistake I made with one of the first bunches I tanned was that I tried to do too many all at once. Holy, I was fleshing those pelts for days, literally, and the pelts were from older rabbits, so the fleshing was much more time consuming.
So far this year, I'm only doing 5 at a time, and I'm finding it so much easier to handle.

The first ones I did were full of holes too, lol. It made me kinda sad because I did a really good skinning job, but when it came time to flesh, oh wow, that's where I messed up. The finishing part - I'm finding that I have a best success with breaking the hide a few times, not just once. I break it once, then re-wet the hide side, and break it again. I use the back of a chair from the kitchen, lol. Any little rough bits that are left can be sanded off with really fine sandpaper.

Kyah

The following user would like to thank Kyah for this post
Marian

Site Supporter
Canada
BunnyBucks: 2,860.00

Post Number:#11  Unread postby Truckinguy » Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:07 pm

I"ve only attempted two hides so far and I found the fleshing to be a little confusing. It always seemed that I scraped too much off and I ended up with a couple of holes and some very thin spots.

I've given up on the hides for now as I found I was trying too many things at once. I will start to save some hides again and intend to try tanning again soon.

Post Number:#12  Unread postby Brody » Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:35 pm

I would try working with the hides if I had some ...

just a couple to start with ;)
Chinese Proverb

Post Number:#13  Unread postby Briza » Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:01 pm

Thanks for that encouragement Kyah. Can everyone share their tanning solutions and processes?
B~

Post Number:#14  Unread postby Marian » Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:41 am

I'd really like to start tanning the hides, too. Especially if I get standard rexes :D Kayah, what method do you use?

Does anyone know if you can end up with rabbit leather, no fur, just the tanned skin?

Marian

Post Number:#15  Unread postby Kyah » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:47 pm

I use Rittles' Ez-100 powder for tanning, and the saftee acid for the pickle, and the pro plus oil.
Here's some info on it: http://www.docstoc.com/docs/4895768/Ins ... -Kit-Using
I had tried the salt/alum recipe, but I had some sort of strange reaction to it so I don't use it anymore. The saftee acid and ez-100 are the safest tanning agents I can find and the finished hides are washable. You need to add baking soda to the pickle to neutralize it, and it's safe to throw out. I think? it uses a little less salt than the salt/alum recipe I was using.

If i had the $ though, I'd send them off to a tanney to be professionally done. :)

Kyah

The following user would like to thank Kyah for this post
Marian, trinityoaks

Next