locust trees

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pastelsummer

Reaction score
Robinia pseudoacacia to be specific is this safe for them to chew? can they eat the leaves? I have a ton of the wood here as we use it for our wood stove i would love to be able to use the little pieces for rabbits if i could. I have to rake up the leaves anyway so if they can eat them i would bag them for winter

ok i will make sure to keep it out of there glad i asked first!<br /><br />__________ Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:16 pm __________<br /><br />Is ash trees ok? dh threw some wood in and i didn't know so far no problems but i wanna make sure before i leave it in there to long

Robinia pseudoacacia looks exactly like the locust trees that plague my yard. They drop thorny branches at the slightest breeze, shoot underground runners 50' away after the tree is cut down, drop seed pods everywhere...and my rabbits have been eating lots of the green leafy branches for years with no problems.

arachyd":24umab6u said:
Robinia pseudoacacia looks exactly like the locust trees that plague my yard. They drop thorny branches at the slightest breeze, shoot underground runners 50' away after the tree is cut down, drop seed pods everywhere...and my rabbits have been eating lots of the green leafy branches for years with no problems.

Well, no poison list is ever 100%. I have no first-hand experience of Robinia pseudoacacia, but it is considered very toxic. So either your trees are different or the toxicity has been exaggerated. Either is possible. Glad your rabbits have come to no harm from eating it.

Locust trees kill livestock quite often but I believe it's the pods which are the biggest danger. Usually that's how horses end up poisoned by those trees. We've been trying to kill one for years. Chopped it down to a 4' wide stump (it was a big tree) only to have a nice bush growing out of the stump and then lots of runners everywhere. Years later we are still chopping down trees that came from that one.

Back