Register

Local Rabbit Rescue asks me

A forum to help find new homes for rabbits whose owners can no longer provide care for them. Everyone can read, but you must have 20 posts to participate in this forum.
7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 32,841.00

Local Rabbit Rescue asks me

Post Number:#1  Unread postby ladysown » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:48 pm

...how can I (as in herself) get more involved in rescuing rabbits.

This gal is quite aware of the multi-function of rabbits in life.

She prefers that good, nice rabbits go to pet homes. That they aren't used as breeding stock and definitely aren't sent off to meat.

Right now she gets rabbits from me.
She gets the odd pet bunny but she prefers NOT to help people out of their responsibilities UNLESS it's a meat rabbit.
She gets rabbits from the humane society but prefers not to do this as often they are ill-mannered small breed rabbits.
She will not pet out a ill-mannered rabbit and will work with them unless they are actively attacking regardless of what type of housing they are placed in. If they actively attack on a consistent basis she sends them over to me where I work with them for a week. IF they settle down for me within the week of getting them, then she'll try them again. Otherwise they become useful in other manners.

Her focus is on meat rabbits.

She wanted to buy from the local auction but I've strongly (as have others) cautioned her not to do this as she has pet bunnies and the chances are VERY high that she'd bring something home with her that she doesn't want to bring home.

SO.. what do I tell her? How can I assist her in doing what she longs to do better?

I appreciate your taking the time to read this and look forward to forwarding ideas to her.
ladysown

http://athomepets.weebly.com/
Primary Blog : http://athomepets.weebly.com/at-home-pets-blog.html
Old Blog: blogs/athomepets/

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 56,195.00

Re: Local Rabbit Rescue asks me

Post Number:#2  Unread postby Miss M » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:26 am

I don't quite understand... what exactly does she want to do with meat rabbits? Take seized meat rabbits and pet them out? Or is she taking rabbits that the rescue already has, or meat rabbits that you have that are sweet enough to be pets, and working to pet them out?

Maybe she could build an area outside to keep rescue rabbits, and follow quarantine protocol with that area in order to protect her house buns?
Sithrah Farm - http://sithrahfarm.com/

We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
- James Madison

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 8,390.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby ottersatin » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:37 am

I would tell her:
That meat rabbits are intended for that purpose
and she should stick with what she knows,
or what she feels she knows and is more comfortable with.
She is welcome to do what she will, but she should learn to
accept and allow others to do as they see fit.There is room
for everybody in the Rabbit world if they can just allow others
the freedom as they allow them. PEACE!
Ottersatin, C.V.R. :oldtimer:
Please visit my website: http://crescentvalley.webs.com/
Sign Guest book so I know you stopped by.
Thank you Dennis.

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 398.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby JueLee » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:00 pm

I have two thoughts. I'm aware my first suggestion might be totally off her mark, but here goes:

I think the best thing anyone can do for any rabbit is educating its owner. Rescue the rabbit in place by teaching its owner how to provide a suitable environment. Taking a rabbit away, voluntarily or not, will not prevent that owner from simply buying another one that will then need rescuing as well. Buying from an auction will not discourage the auction from selling ever more needy rabbits.

But teaching an owner what they need to know and how to do it right, not only rescues the rabbit they already have, but rescues every rabbit that owner will ever have.

--

Here's my second thought:

The first thing she needs to do is define exactly what she wants -- and WHY. She can't rescue every rabbit in the world, so she needs to decide which ones really matter to her, and which don't -- which breeds, which situations they are in, which situations they need to be in. She should make a full blown mission statement out of it.

Then, when the auctions come around, or the humane society has an ill-mannered small breed rabbit to foist off on her, she has a way to say, "No", and to stick to it. And when a rabbit she *can* rescue comes along, it gives her the unequivocal power to say, "Yes", and know she's right to do so. That power will be the basis of her success.

Then, she needs to set up her facilities. Cages, quarantine space, feed storage, etc. She needs to understand just how many rabbits she can, or wants, to handle. How long she'll hold each rabbit, how she'll train it, what she'll do about unexpected litters when does arrive pregnant, how to handle injuries, malnutrition, disease, etc. And how she'll protect her own pet rabbits.

Knowing what she *can* do, and what she *wants* to do gives her another layer of control over what she *will* do, so when someone comes begging, she won't end up putting herself -- and the rabbits she already has -- out just to suit them.

She should have the belief that she's doing people a favor to take their unwanted rabbits, even if they pay her to do so. But she must not display a morally superior attitude about it -- no one wants to feel bad about asking for that favor.

After that, it becomes a lot like a business. She needs to advertise that she takes in thus-and-such rabbits under thus-and-such conditions, and she needs to advertise for buyers to re-home those rabbits with. There are a great many ways to advertise -- from classified ads, to full page ads, to word of mouth, to business cards, to fliers at vet offices, feed stores, and even the humane society and auctions, and so on.

The key to success to is get known for exactly what she means to do, and to do exactly what she says she will.

So, I hope this at least gives her some ideas.
-- Jue

The following user would like to thank JueLee for this post
Christilin, Jana15, Jessykah, MaggieJ, MamaSheepdog, OneAcreFarm, Wyldrose

BunnyBucks: 9,270.00

Post Number:#5  Unread postby trinityoaks » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:04 pm

Very well put, JueLee!

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 1,659.00

Post Number:#6  Unread postby Legacy » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:20 pm

JueLee wrote:Knowing what she *can* do, and what she *wants* to do gives her another layer of control over what she *will* do...

:!: Your whole post is FULL of wisdom but this line is so profound not only for the situation at hand but for every aspect of life!!! :!:
My current approach to would-be-suitors of my beautiful teen daughters is to have "the talk" with the young man on butcher day. It is so effective!

Site Admin
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 56,053.00

Post Number:#7  Unread postby MaggieJ » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:22 pm

Excellent post, JueLee!

Canada Female

Post Number:#8  Unread postby ladysown » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:00 pm

thank you so much everyone. will be forwarding responses to her.

I've worked with this gal for a year. And she'll rehome pet bunnies if she must but her heart is really in helping those meat type rabbits that have either been foisted on people as being small breed rabbits, or helping to save "fryers" from being just that. :)

I've been telling her for a good six months that she really needs to define what she does and what she wants to do. So perhaps your well written reasoning will give her a good push to get one done. I've told her she needs to be upfront with people about what she does because there's a certain amount of fear out there about animal rights activists... and she really really needs to promote herself less as animal activist, and more animal welfare-ist (as that's what she is more like).

__________ Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:00 pm __________

I don't quite understand... what exactly does she want to do with meat rabbits? Take seized meat rabbits and pet them out? Or is she taking rabbits that the rescue already has, or meat rabbits that you have that are sweet enough to be pets, and working to pet them out?

what she currently does is take in almost anything.. resulting in me getting five REALLY nasty rabbits in the past two months... like go near their cage and they attack and if let out go for the jugular nasty. And she WORKS with them...(as in her own words .. I"m not afraid to get bitten" if I can get them to realize it doesn't do them any good then maybe they'll settle down)...and believe it or not...some of them DO settle down and become nice adoptable rabbits.

I know that she doesn't have a lot of desire for the little rabbits and just swoons when given a large breed rabbit.

She takes them in, cares for them well, and then adopts them out over time, and sometimes holds on to them for two months before they go to a new place.

She'll take in certain of my meat kits and find them homes..usually within two-three weeks. And anything cross breed she'll take. I get the minimum I'll sell for and she saves the rabbit from "becoming other than a pet".
ladysown

BunnyBucks: 1,540.00

Post Number:#9  Unread postby Brody » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:00 pm

I gave her exactly the same advice about defining clearly what she wants to do and then doing it -sticking to it and understanding that there will be 'haters' but if she has a clear mission it will be much easier for her to do what she wants ... :)
“The crafty rabbit has three different entrances to its lair”
Chinese Proverb

http://www.vareharrifarm.blogspot.com

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 2,902.00

Post Number:#10  Unread postby Jessykah » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:09 am

ladysown wrote:I know that she doesn't have a lot of desire for the little rabbits and just swoons when given a large breed rabbit.

why isn't she eager to take in small breeds too? I understand she wants to save the meat rabbits from being meat, but wouldn't the small rabbits be easier to re-home since pet people usually want small ones? I am not saying she should focus on small ones instead of large ones, but that she should consider ALL sizes of rabbits, according to her above mentioned mission statement. Just a thought...

Canada Female

Post Number:#11  Unread postby ladysown » Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:34 am

because EVERYONE wants small rabbits. She wants to help the bigger rabbits. Just her thing. :)
ladysown

BunnyBucks: 6,955.00

Post Number:#12  Unread postby Devon's Mom Lauren » Tue May 01, 2012 2:36 pm

Let's hope her "thing" doesn't turn into a hoarding situation, because I don't see how one rehomes something if nobody wants it... just my thoughts. Large rabbits were bred that size for a reason and that was for meat. One can't save every large rabbit and this is just something that's going to eventually make all rabbit breeders look bad. I have nothing against keeping large breeds as pets, but you can only keep so many before they all start to suffer; which is just going to lead to more legal crap being passed. People need to be realistic and start realizing that they can't control the rest of the world...people eat rabbits; so be it. People keep smaller rabbits as pets; so be it. It is what it is, and trying to project ones personal ideals onto others just doesn't work! I am totally with Jessykah on this.Juelee's advice is very interesting.. basically how one runs a business.. of any sort actually. Seeing though as how the rescues are "against the "breeding and especially the "selling" any animals and insist that you "rescue" or "rehome", I find it quite funny that they indeed run their business(rescue) the same way. BUT any business WILL fail if they don't supply what the public actually WANTS!!

Canada Female

Post Number:#13  Unread postby ladysown » Tue May 01, 2012 3:12 pm

i do good work with this gal helping her out, helping her keep a lid on things. She's good at listening/learning and has broadened her thinking ALOT in the past year.

She's quite aware that some rabbits aren't meant to be pets (after having 3 or 4 truly not nice rabbits). She's aware the some larger rabbits have troubles finding homes and has learned that I have some resources that she doesn't have....I can sometimes find rabbits homes that she simply can't connect with because she's a rescue. She has taken in some small breed rabbits, but what captures her heart are the big rabbits. And she's allowed that. Just like you or I are allowed to be captured by polish or mini rex or Whatever the breed/type.
ladysown

The following user would like to thank ladysown for this post
avdpas77

BunnyBucks: 1,864.00

Post Number:#14  Unread postby avdpas77 » Tue May 01, 2012 3:34 pm

Ladysown,

It is a rare person that can stand between hard-core "animal rights" people and meat rabbit raisers.
I have always been amazed that you are able to fit in that position, without getting fed up with one side or the other.

There are not many who could guide a person like this to be reasonable about what can and should be done, and I commend you for bringing some sanity between the groups.
breeder of the Midwest's most mixed up pedigreed rabbits

The following user would like to thank avdpas77 for this post
Christilin, MaggieJ, OneAcreFarm

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 180.00

Post Number:#15  Unread postby ~Abstract~ » Tue May 01, 2012 5:22 pm

I guess what she does, or wants to do, kind of confuses me.

If she is a rescue, why does she want rabbits from breeders, or bought from auctions, or taking rabbits out of the shelter where they have already been taken in by a shelter rescue?

Can she not simply take in rabbits being given away on Craigs List or other add sites and try to rehome those?
~NZ's with a splash of color~

Next