Register

Local Rabbit Rescue asks me

A forum to help find new homes for rabbits whose owners can no longer provide care for them. Everyone can read, but you must have 20 posts to participate in this forum.
5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 3,868.00

Re: Local Rabbit Rescue asks me

Post Number:#31  Unread postby tailwagging » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:08 pm

phillinley wrote:
tailwagging wrote:
phillinley wrote:Because the pet side is vocal and passing legislation, and not in a balanced way.

True I agree but you can make your self a target as well by being too vocal
I think everyone should join The Calvary group

http://www.thecavalrygroup.com/index.php

Yea that's just what this issue needs, another entrenched interest group. Looking through their site. It's the same tripe. It's a reactionary group that will have to be crazy to fight crazy. There's a whole lot of crazy talk on that site. Jettison those people who point to the vegans, jettison the vegans, who point to the people mistreating animals, and all the sane people in the middle can work together without spinning a bunch of crap around and come to the best solution. But we can't do that because this is America, and rational debates don't exist here.

well everyone has thoughts on everything but I myself like the fact that I have lawyers (24/7) in my corner just in case those other crazys decide I am the next.

your quote
"passing legislation, and not in a balanced way"
“You should not examine legislation in the
Light of the benefits it will convey if properly
Administered, but in the light of the wrongs
It would do and the harm it would cause if
Improperly administered.”
Lyndon Johnson, 36th President of the U.S.

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 8,226.00

Post Number:#32  Unread postby Frecs » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:19 pm

ladysown wrote:She WANTED to do the animal auction thing but I strongly encouraged her not to do so.

And therefore she does not. She has two pet rabbits and taking the risk of rescuing potentially ill rabbits that could make her own ill was enough to make her take pause and consider how else she could help.

So she focuses on the larger breed rabbits and has fair good success in rehoming.

Ahh, I see why you work with her. She has a brain as well as heart.
ladysown wrote:The two others in town... ONE I will have NOTHING to do with as they've been "less than positive" in their initial dealings with me ... with the blinders on, won't listen to anyone attitude. And I AM the scourge of the earth you know. I just am. (you all know differ I think). :)

Of course you are the scourge of the earth... :P
ladysown wrote:The other has a good heart...wants to rescue all the ill rabbits/dogs/cats/livestock that go through the market and fail to see that by purchasing those ill-kept, ill-handled critters that are you just encouraging folks to continue to offer them and hence, long-term, are not helping critters. Also fails to hear that message because she's GOT TO help these animals now to save them from death.

Just shoot me now...that type is the type that makes me crazy!

ladysown wrote:SO I DO pick my battles.

BUT I do try to be proactive in showing the rabbits are a multi-purpose animal and needs to be respected as such. ALL rabbits are made of meat. ALL rabbits can be used by a person for a variety of methods....companionship, food, sport, fur etc...and still be well-loved and cared for despite what their purpose in life is for.

I very much want a balanced approach to this lovely wee beastie. :)

Keep up the good work...carry on...
Tina
Not Quite There Yet Homestead & Rabbitry
http://notquitethereyethomestead.blogspot.com/

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 3,105.00

Post Number:#33  Unread postby Wyldrose » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:32 pm

When I worked at the SPCA/pound here our manager kept remindng us we cant save them all!
Susan Mom to 4 kids and Zoo keeper :)

United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 21,530.00

Post Number:#34  Unread postby Kyle@theHeathertoft » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:39 pm

Wyldrose wrote:When I worked at the SPCA/pound here our manager kept remindng us we cant save them all!

That is certainly true. Sad, but VERY true, and rescues/shelters that try to save them all often stretch themselves too thin, and end up saving few or none. :(
The Heathertoft Rabbitry;
Quality show and pet rabbits.
Mini Rex and Dutch bred for traditional and modern purposes.

http://kyleheathertoft.wix.com/rabbitry

Let the storm rage on...the cold never bothered me anyway.

3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 290.00

Post Number:#35  Unread postby 3LilMonkeys » Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:19 pm

I'm really glad I read through all the posts. I was rather to'd about the whole "rescue the meat bunnies" thing at first. But then it was explained that she rescues them from homes that do NOT want them. The homes thought they were getting a small bunny when it was in fact a meat sized one.
Ladysown, it seems you have done a good job with helping her understand that there is always more then one way of doing things. I wish my neighbors and friends were more accepting of what I wish to do with my rabbits when I finally get them. (wool, meat, fur) Maybe I will be able to help them see I'm not being cruel as I go about my business.
Thank you for staying so calm even though your friend was being attacked for what her hearts desire is. :) It helped me see that not all people who are against eating rabbits for meat are going to try to stop us from doing so. So, again, thank you!

Site Supporter
3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 30,715.00

Post Number:#36  Unread postby Zass » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:55 pm

Honestly, I raise meat buns, and every now and again I get a rabbit that would make a much better companion animal then a dinner. It's not always the smallest, prettiest, or rarest colored rabbit. Sometimes, it's the biggest, ugliest, meatiest rabbit (inevitably the one with the widest backstraps), that happens to LOVE human companionship and would be better of as a pet, because it would make someone, or a family, happy. I retain that type, and wait for the right pet home. It's a privilege for someone to be able to adopt an animal like this. It can take a while, but I usually have the room.

Maybe your friend should get in touch with meat breeders to see about rehoming buns (and retired brood stock) that they themselves have gotten too attached to eat. It might become a really appreciated service.

Previous