Register

Local Rabbit Rescue asks me

A forum to help find new homes for rabbits whose owners can no longer provide care for them. Everyone can read, but you must have 20 posts to participate in this forum.
7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 32,806.00

Re: Local Rabbit Rescue asks me

Post Number:#16  Unread postby ladysown » Wed May 02, 2012 6:06 am

Thanks avdpas... it's not always an easy road. :) I don't touch the mindless AR people...they are scary. But people who are willing to talk and listen and learn... I'll always be ready to talk and listen and learn back. :)

This gal takes in rabbits from kill centres, sometimes gets bunnies for free off people who just want to dump their rabbits (but as she says...her job isn't to take in EVERY rabbit, just to take in those who have no other option), and takes bunnies from breeders who would otherwise just knock them on the head and toss 'em. Her specialty is in rehoming larger breed rabbits. it's EASY to rehome dwarf and lop types, but larger breed rabbits are more of a challenge. And since larger breed rabbits get eaten as well, therein lies her hearts desire to assist them. She does a good job.
ladysown

http://athomepets.weebly.com/
Primary Blog : http://athomepets.weebly.com/at-home-pets-blog.html
Old Blog: blogs/athomepets/

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 1,365.00

Post Number:#17  Unread postby toastedoat37 » Thu May 31, 2012 9:15 pm

wow,,,lol,,,,,i think the lady is nuts,,meat rabbits dont need to be rescued. they fulfill thier purpose when being cooked and eaten by hungry people.,,the ones that need help are those little mean ones that no one really wants that arent big enough to eat.

__________ Thu May 31, 2012 7:15 pm __________

teach her how to butcher rabbits and she can donate the ones she cant addopt out to feed homeless people

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 1,540.00

Post Number:#18  Unread postby Brody » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:00 pm

The number of rabbits looking for homes is staggering
“The crafty rabbit has three different entrances to its lair”
Chinese Proverb

http://www.vareharrifarm.blogspot.com

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 370.00

Post Number:#19  Unread postby starshotbandit » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:38 am

I know its a bit late on this post, but I think I understand kinda what she is doing. I breed for meat,but I do have a hard time killing those few SWEET cuddlebums. I do use craiglist and any time someone wants a pet or breeder I recomend those first. Many people dont like the idea of getting rabbits from shelters cause if someone ealse gave it up it must have a problem(not always true). So she wants to give those few nice meat breed types a chance to "have a chance" and give a second chance to shelter animals. I kinda like it. I have met a goat or two and a cow that I would have loved someone to give a second chance. Im a sucker for the big ones to, but I eat what I grow. Sounds like she has a good exceptance of a lost cause with you being their last last stop. But with a shelter she has to watch out that it doesent get overwelming. She might be able to find a grant that can help her get a foundation. You are a good friend to help her with this problem. So how is she doing with it?

Canada Female

Post Number:#20  Unread postby ladysown » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:18 am

i took her to the animal auction. And then let her ooh and aah over the big buns, let her overhear conversations that I hear everytime I go about how "joe" drops off the buns that look a little off.

She asked what that meant and I said...oh...I had the mistake once of buying one of Joe's buns. it was dead within two days. And I'm not the only one that's happened with.

that conversation, based on my concerns regarding health issues, dissuaded her form buying from the auctions.

I was able to help her with other meat buns though that were healthy that just needed a new place to be and it filled the need in her to help something smaller than herself.
ladysown

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 8,226.00

Post Number:#21  Unread postby Frecs » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:10 am

ladysown wrote:She's quite aware that some rabbits aren't meant to be pets (after having 3 or 4 truly not nice rabbits). She's aware the some larger rabbits have troubles finding homes and has learned that I have some resources that she doesn't have....I can sometimes find rabbits homes that she simply can't connect with because she's a rescue. She has taken in some small breed rabbits, but what captures her heart are the big rabbits. And she's allowed that. Just like you or I are allowed to be captured by polish or mini rex or Whatever the breed/type.

Two thoughts, if I may...

1. Not all meat breed rabbits are mean. Just because they aren't mean doesn't mean they would make good pet rabbits. They are bred for producing meat, not for being pets.

2. I think I will start a rescue to rescue pet rabbits from their dreaded fate of being loved to death. ... geeze. Why can't she focus on rescuing rabbits that *really* need rescuing rather than "saving the poor bunnies from being food" when that is what they are bred for!?!

Okay, said my peace. I feel better now.
Tina
Not Quite There Yet Homestead & Rabbitry
http://notquitethereyethomestead.blogspot.com/

Canada Female

Post Number:#22  Unread postby ladysown » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:39 am

i am not going to belabour a point. what does it matter what a persons' heart desire is?

quite frankly if i was going to have a house rabbit it would be a meat breed. they are bigger therefore making them less likely to be tripped over, and tend to be calm unflappable rabbits....which is what I would want in a house pet.

This is part of what makes rabbits so very cool.... there are so many different varieties out there.

I happen to love that I have a rescue that will work with me if I have a smaller meat bun that would make an excellent pet but would perhaps not be so good for the stew pot. it's where her heart lies....rehoming nice larger breed rabbits since around here...most people only want the small ones and the other two rescues will ONLY take in small buns. the fact that she has success in rehoming larger buns and gets them into nice homes is a positive thing.

Not a something with which to belittle a person.

It means that larger breed buns have a recourse in life and means they aren't simply released into the wilds when a person finds they have a bun they no longer want. Because without the rescue.... that is what happens.
ladysown

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership

Post Number:#23  Unread postby Frecs » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:07 am

ladysown wrote:It means that larger breed buns have a recourse in life and means they aren't simply released into the wilds when a person finds they have a bun they no longer want. Because without the rescue.... that is what happens.

If the rabbits she is rescuing are "pet rabbits" needing to be rehomed, then more power to her. If the rabbits she is "rescuing" are meat rabbits raised as meat rabbits intended to be eaten or bred to produce eaters...well...that's a different matter all together. The way I read your OP and discussion, she is wanting to go to auction sites to "save those poor meat rabbits from their terrible fate"...
Tina

BunnyBucks: 3,868.00

Post Number:#24  Unread postby tailwagging » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:02 am

I understand.
I give my buns/home raised meat every chance at get a home (that fits) before eating them. if they not sold/rehomed before they become too much of a burden then they will go to freezer camp. if you are mean well your outta luck straight to camp.

i guess she feels meat breed have less of a chance so there is more of a need.
I still would be worried that after all of this teaching she may feel you are just too much of a killer and must be stopped.
“You should not examine legislation in the
Light of the benefits it will convey if properly
Administered, but in the light of the wrongs
It would do and the harm it would cause if
Improperly administered.”
Lyndon Johnson, 36th President of the U.S.

Post Number:#25  Unread postby Frecs » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:29 am

tailwagging wrote:I still would be worried that after all of this teaching she may feel you are just too much of a killer and must be stopped.

Which is why I'm careful about who I talk to about my rabbits. At first, I was naive and thought folks would understand the difference between cruelty to animals and the humane raising of meat for the table. That naivete' did not last long! People tend to be very closed-minded to any ways different from their own.
Tina

BunnyBucks: 2,770.00

Post Number:#26  Unread postby phillinley » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:58 am

Frecs wrote:People tend to be very closed-minded to any ways different from their own.

Which is why anyone on either side of the debate who is close minded needs to be jettisoned from the conversation, especially when it comes to legislation. Rabbits can easily be show rabbits, pet rabbits, fur rabbits and meat rabbits for humans and meat rabbits for other protected animals (zoo/snake/etc). What other animal in this country has such legitimate potential for diversity? We need more people like this girl who are able to look past their initial approach to rabbits to find one that is the best balance for a very diverse animal. If you take the approach to rabbits like you would a dog or cat, you're wrong. If you take the approach to rabbits like you would a pig or cow, you're also wrong. It's a special animal that deserves special conditions for its species.

Not getting out there and talking about it with people on the other side of the issue is going to guarantee your side goes nowhere in the debate in the long run. Because the pet side is vocal and passing legislation, and not in a balanced way.

Post Number:#27  Unread postby Frecs » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:08 pm

phillinley wrote:Not getting out there and talking about it with people on the other side of the issue is going to guarantee your side goes nowhere in the debate in the long run. Because the pet side is vocal and passing legislation, and not in a balanced way.

You are right. I just don't have the time or the energy to be an activist at the moment. :(
Tina

BunnyBucks: 3,868.00

Post Number:#28  Unread postby tailwagging » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:11 pm

phillinley wrote:Because the pet side is vocal and passing legislation, and not in a balanced way.

True I agree but you can make your self a target as well by being too vocal
I think everyone should join The Calvary group

http://www.thecavalrygroup.com/index.php
“You should not examine legislation in the
Light of the benefits it will convey if properly
Administered, but in the light of the wrongs
It would do and the harm it would cause if
Improperly administered.”
Lyndon Johnson, 36th President of the U.S.

BunnyBucks: 2,770.00

Post Number:#29  Unread postby phillinley » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:37 pm

tailwagging wrote:
phillinley wrote:Because the pet side is vocal and passing legislation, and not in a balanced way.

True I agree but you can make your self a target as well by being too vocal
I think everyone should join The Calvary group

http://www.thecavalrygroup.com/index.php

Yea that's just what this issue needs, another entrenched interest group. Looking through their site. It's the same tripe. It's a reactionary group that will have to be crazy to fight crazy. There's a whole lot of crazy talk on that site. Jettison those people who point to the vegans, jettison the vegans, who point to the people mistreating animals, and all the sane people in the middle can work together without spinning a bunch of crap around and come to the best solution. But we can't do that because this is America, and rational debates don't exist here.

Canada Female

Post Number:#30  Unread postby ladysown » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:36 pm

If the rabbits she is rescuing are "pet rabbits" needing to be rehomed, then more power to her. If the rabbits she is "rescuing" are meat rabbits raised as meat rabbits intended to be eaten or bred to produce eaters...well...that's a different matter all together. The way I read your OP and discussion, she is wanting to go to auction sites to "save those poor meat rabbits from their terrible fate"...

She WANTED to do the animal auction thing but I strongly encouraged her not to do so.

And therefore she does not. She has two pet rabbits and taking the risk of rescuing potentially ill rabbits that could make her own ill was enough to make her take pause and consider how else she could help.

So she focuses on the larger breed rabbits and has fair good success in rehoming.

The two others in town... ONE I will have NOTHING to do with as they've been "less than positive" in their initial dealings with me ... with the blinders on, won't listen to anyone attitude. And I AM the scourge of the earth you know. I just am. (you all know differ I think). :)

The other has a good heart...wants to rescue all the ill rabbits/dogs/cats/livestock that go through the market and fail to see that by purchasing those ill-kept, ill-handled critters that are you just encouraging folks to continue to offer them and hence, long-term, are not helping critters. Also fails to hear that message because she's GOT TO help these animals now to save them from death.

SO I DO pick my battles.

BUT I do try to be proactive in showing the rabbits are a multi-purpose animal and needs to be respected as such. ALL rabbits are made of meat. ALL rabbits can be used by a person for a variety of methods....companionship, food, sport, fur etc...and still be well-loved and cared for despite what their purpose in life is for.

I very much want a balanced approach to this lovely wee beastie. :)
ladysown

PreviousNext