Litter of 11, not chewed!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Truckinguy

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Last night I noticed a fresh nest had been constructed in a nest box and it was chock full of what was obviously Lucille's fur so I shooed the black doe, her three kits and Lucille's 6 older kits over to the other side of the colony and closed the door leaving Fred and Lucille to themselves. This morning there were still no kits but I felt her belly and she was huge so I figured it was soon.

A few minutes ago I went out to gather eggs and check the rabbits and there was a new litter of 11 wiggly kits in the nest, all looked healthy and from a quick initial check they all seem to be in one piece. Lucille was a bit agitated at me pawing around in her fresh nest so I'll check them quickly tonight to make sure they're covered and do a more thorough check in the morning.

The black doe has been exposed to Fred so I'll give her time to see if she has a litter. If she doesn't or they are chewed she will be going into the freezer and I'll just go with Fred and Lucille.

Hopefully harmony in the colony will ensue... :)

Thanks! :D

I couldn't wait to check them out so this afternoon I took a plastic container out there and brought them all into the house to check them. All 11 are in one piece, no sign of chewing and all ears and other body parts intact. I just got in from a night out with my Mom and they are all tucked securely into a very furry nest. I realize that there may be some losses to be expected with a litter this size and there are a couple of kits slightly smaller than the rest but I've got my fingers crossed.

Congratulations, I really was praying it would go well for you this time. :D
I don't know about others but the ones I have lost looked "different" in the hind quarters. The legs look thin and drawn up. I had one in a litter that is now three weeks old but he didn't make it..the other small one looked just like the litter mates just small.He is doing great now but he is only half size... :?:

Well, the black doe had a litter of ten a couple of days ago and about half of them have one or two ears chewed so I guess she is the over groomer. The kits are otherwise healthy although one doesn't look like it will make it, likely losing out on the battle for the nipples. I"m not sure what to do with her now, the damage to the babies is much less on this litter so I don't know if it means that she is getting better at cleaning. Maybe I'll give her one more chance and see how she does with that litter before I make a decision.

Eight out of the litter of 11 survived and are running around the colony now. Things seem to be looking up.

Good that you figured things out! Sounds like the other doe is a decent momma, too. Hard to raise a litter that large.

Thanks. I think I will give her one more chance. Both does are having nice large litters and are very good mothers. Black doe's kits are fat and sassy. One died, likely losing the nipple battle but so far the rest seem good, starting to get that satin sheen of new fur. I find that there is a major size difference between the largest and smallest kits in a large litter but when they all get fully on to the adult feed they all seem to catch up.

Back