Litter box troubles

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ipoGSD

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
2 of our 6 house bunnies use their litter boxes so perfectly. The other 4.. ugh very dirty bunnies!!!

Things ive tried..

I always have their hay feeders over their litter boxes and put hay in the boxes covering the wood pellets.

I have moved the litter boxes to the corner they use and then they just go in a different corner. So ill move it to that corner.. or they will use a corner their food/water dishes are in and pee and poop in them.. Some will go even in the middle of the cages.

I always add used bedding in the boxes when they are changed, wood pellets as litter and a thin layer of hay on top.

Im at whits end. Ive even have tried adding another bunnies litter in the boxes in hopes of maybe that will trigger them to use that spot like HEY THIS IS MINE!

I even toy with the idea of lining the bottom of their cages in multiple litter boxes. But to me, that doesnt teach them to use one spot.

When we clean the cages, we cant totally kill the pee smell, no access to the hose outside yet. We do wash them with hot soapy water via buckets and then rinsing via buckets but we dont do that every time.. come spring we will try to keep up on it and hope it'll help. (Kinda like when i litter trained my ferrets years ago, always had to kill the smell when they went outside the box)

Out of the 4. Im looking to spay only one. Shes my daughters bunny Snickers. We have no intention on breeding her ever.

The other 3 are our holland lops, one is a female over a year old so shes old enough to be smart enough to want to keep herself/cage clean. Which the does have no interest in breeding, grrr!!! Ive even added ACV to their water. But that's the plan with them so spaying and neutering isnt an option for them.

Any other ideas? If they dont improve, they will have to live outside but i really dont want that. Not to mention my daughter will get mad at me if her bun gets kicked outside lol. I love having them inside, they get way more attention that way.

Ty

I wish I could help, but my experience has been that some bunners just litterbox well, and some make an absolute mess no matter what I've tried over the past few years, just as some in hanging cages always use one corner, and others seem to go all over, or switch up corners frequently.

:good-luck:

Alforddm, i was wondering about that. We use basic cat litter boxes, sides are maybe 4 or 5 inches high. Maybe if i cut the sides a little lower??

And Zass im really beginning to wonder if these 4 are just going to be piggies not bunnies lol

If you have a Dollar tree near you try picking up some of the tinfoil cake pans. Sides are only an inch or two high, try different litters and so forth till they figure it out.

If your using the horse bedding pellets, try wetting them lightly first. They expand into a sawdust consistancy that may be more appealing.

Latest posts

Back