Lion Head or Netherland Dwarf or a cross?!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ButtonsPalace

Reaction score
This is the buck in question..
Merlin.jpg
This is his daughter. She's the one who's made me question his breed. He's tiny and weighs nothing.. She's two months old and the boof under her chest is her fur not a dewlap ;)
20160623_151436.jpg
20160623_151241.jpg
Edited to add: She has longer fur around her hips and her bum.. her fur I'd say is at least an inch and about 2 inches where it's thicker.

Being big doesn't mean any thing, I've seen FG sized rabbits with double manes. He has to be a DM that's lost his mane though, in my opinion based on info provided. 2 no manes cannot produce a single mane, and its very unlikely given her build and no ear tuft that she's a NM or SM herself (where he does have one in between his ears or at least it looks that way in the picture).

Did the baby have fur come in odd? Like missing around the legs and head areas when really little, first few days? If not, then more inclined to think original thought is closer to being right, he's not a ND just a poor LH...if not and the baby did have bare places like talking about then she has to be a single mane at least that lost her mane too. You cannot get a DM kit from a SM and NM or NM/NM...must be either SM/SM, SM/DM, or DM/DM. There are pictures that show the difference, if you search the forum or search google ;) I haven't had lions for years, have a few pictures but their of stock that's older jrs or srs, no babies.

When she came out I had no idea she was gonna be poofy.. Even when she was very little.. But then it was like suddenly she exploded extra fur. I've seen a double maned lion head and she most definitely is not DM. She only has this long fur around her hips but not on her legs and then she has it outlining her bum and around her head. He does have a tiny bit of tuft around his head but it's not nearly as long as hers, he also has a bit longer fur in general. From his size and stature I kinda guessed he was a ND plus his owners thought so, but he's a LH which is super cute too even though I didn't want to get any now I'm kinda in love haha! They are really cute... Maybe he's just a SM and it's just very thin.. Although he is molting right now, every time I pet him I come out with a handful of hair from him. Speaking of, I almost had a scare when one of my does pulled almost all of her winter coat out into a pile in the cage *It had been way over 35 days XD*

Being a double mane can ONLY be positively identified at birth. There is no way to tell for certain otherwise. What you described is a SM, so that doe with the tuffs is a SM. I've seen single manes that out did manes on DMs easily, but they were only SMs. This is why you have to look at birth to first week of age or so.

He has to be a double mane for you to have gotten ANY mane from a none maned doe that is not from a LH breeding. It is impossible otherwise. If you breed him back to a daughter with mane, or a single mane doe otherwise (or dm) you'll get dm kits. The issue is the mane is not that great, it fell out and lots of early lines did this. They couldn't hold a senior mane no matter how wooly they were as kids. I've seen teddies (super wooly DMs) go from fuzz to naked fur. This is why some are such sticklers on breeding x line or not having "off" LHs breeding. IF you breed them, and have fuzzies like her, I suggest you note to whoever gets that the mane probably won't stay. Its very genetic, if the Sire/Dam tends to loose completely so will the kids.

Is it possible he could've been a DM and lost his mane? I suppose that means his kids will too.. That's kinda sad. At least they are ultra cute while young haha! I probably won't breed him anymore for a bit until I have a special set up.. Otherwise it might be occasional litters for fun. I was planning to do meat rabbits but I got curious as to what would come of a Broken black and a REW *nothing spectacular* So then I tried him with a Chin doe I have and she had 9 I think it's 5 boys 4 girls. *Btw the one in the pic I thought was his daughter is a boy. I thought it was a boy at first but then apparently I wasn't looking correctly when sexing and I was messing myself up and it's still a boy >3<* But out the chin all of them stayed smooth as tiny babies but now that they are a bit over a month they are doing the same thing the other kits did and fluffing out. Getting it around their face and the such :)

ButtonsPalace":1f2ko0uc said:
Is it possible he could've been a DM and lost his mane?

Yep, any resulting offspring should have SOME mane...but they'll all be single manes unless one of them is bred back to him or him to another single mane or double mane as explained above.

Yep, they will probably in the end loose all of their manes. It isn't a guarantee, but since dad has none...kids aren't likely to keep any even if they have nice full manes as babies and youngsters. What you have AFTER the 2nd senior molt is what you end up with as far as holding a mane goes. Some times into senior years will loose a bit, but usually what you have after the 2nd senior molt is what you got as far as mane hold goes.

Does are the exception. Does will PULL their manes out when nesting, so even if it does regrow if rebred it will be pulled out. Some times this can cause thinning and less mane even in a line that has good mane hold if she's bred a lot.

Latest posts

Back