Line Breeding

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

man-alive

Reaction score
Can someone pleae explain this too me? So far this is what I "think" I know

Doe + Buck = Litter
From there litter breed a Doe back to the father and a Buck back to the mother
From the second round of litters take one Buck from one litter and a Doe from the other litter and breed them together.
When there litters come, breed a Doe back to the father and a Buck back to the mother and keep doing this for up to 5 generations?

It starts running together I know... thats exactly what its doing in my head also

Crossbreeding - breeding two different breeds together

Outcrossing - breeding two different bloodlines, same breed

Linebreeding - breeding together related rabbits with successful results

Inbreeding - breeding together related rabbits with negative results

Actually line breeding involves just one individual common to both pedigrees. Inbreeding involves close relationships like sister/brother, mother/son etc. So crossbreeding two different breeds then breeding brother/sister from that cross will still be inbreeding. However it would be iffy what traits would become fixed from a cross-breeding as there are way too many variables involved then. One usually linebreeds on a successful grandparent or great grandparent because you would already know what traits they possess and pass down. While there are many who love the challenge of starting from scratch, it does take many many more generations to really get what you are looking for! Its perfectly acceptable to continue building on other breeders' work by linebreeding to one of their past successes! :)

PS. I know its a bit of a joke to say that linebreeding is "successful" and inbreeding is a fail, but technically its not correct lol :)
Inbreeding in rabbits can work just as well as linebreeding can, it would actually fix traits way sooner or show bad ones sooner too!

Latest posts

Back