Lettuce????

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Easy Ears

Reaction score
I have a friend who just e-mailed me saying:
My rabbit gets vegetables daily, including kale, red leaf lettuce, green leaf lettuce, and accationally a carrot :)

By red leaf lettuce, I'm assuming she means Iceburg lettuce....isn't that poisonous???
Not to mention the other kind as well! :x And she feeds him a half cup of pellets daily. He's a rex/English cross...shouldn't he get more than that to eat? And what about kale?

Dunno about any of that other stuff, but I thought the deal with iceburg was it's just empty of nutrition, so no point in feeding it? Not that it's poisonous. :shock:

Red leaf lettuce is not iceburg. Rabbits can eat certain varieties but if you give them just lots of iceburg out of the blue they will usually get stomach problems that may result in death. So if you run out of food don't feed them just lettuce or greens. Their system has to get used to them gradually.

Iceberg is not a leaf lettuce. Your friend is likely referring to red and green varieties of romaine lettuce. They are both safe greens, along with kale. Like all greens, they should be introduced slowly, and the buns watched for their reactions to them.

My buns get a variety of greens along with their pellets from the time their eyes open. They eat less pellets because of it.

The rabbit's owner can tell if the rabbit is too thin, if he/she knows what to look for. On an underfed rabbit, you will be able to feel the sharp spikes of the spine, the hip bones and sometimes the ribs. If you can just feel the spine, the rabbit is about right. If you cannot feel it at all, the rabbit may be too fat.

It sounds to me as though the owner is feeding this rabbit in accordance with the guidelines of the House Rabbit Society. It is not my preferred diet for rabbits but keep in mind that pet rabbits are often neutered and often do not get much exercise and therefore have lower caloric needs than production rabbits.

Latest posts

Back