Let's get cliche! [photography attempt]

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nyctra

Reaction score
I recently learned some of the really cool photos I've envied in the past have been edited. I knew I could edit, but refrained because it feels like cheating. But then the truth was revealed to me and now there's nothing holding me back. :twisted:

So I tried adding some cliche blur and tint to a couple pics of my boy Zuko. I like them alright. :roll:

Attachments

• IMG_3483.jpg
    IMG_3483.jpg
    485.5 KB · Views: 2,057
  • Zuko-in-the-woods-2.jpg
    Zuko-in-the-woods-2.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 2,057
:oops:

Attachments

• i'm-so-cool.jpg
    i'm-so-cool.jpg
    616.3 KB · Views: 2,035
  • IMG_3483-3.jpg
    IMG_3483-3.jpg
    605 KB · Views: 2,035
Nice photos! As I was once told, "editing is a part of photography," so there's nothing to be ashamed of. ;)

I like the before/after comparisons! Especially the first photo. :D

May I also ask what camera you're using? If you have a DSLR, you could get a 50mm lens that will produce really nice bokeh without having to edit them in after the fact... but it might be a tad cost-prohibitive, if you're on a budget. :oops:

Well that's a relief! :lol:

I have a slightly better camera, but it's broken and can't hold batteries in anymore, and also I dunno where it went. :? The one I'm using now is a "Canon PowerShot A560" and that's all I know. :|

Those are really good! I like the editing you did there! And yes, I think most people edit. I certainly do :lol: I find increasing contrast and strengthening the color saturation really makes a picture stand out.

Between using a DSLR and other camera's I have to say my $50 camera was way better. I could actually focus on my shot instead of spending 45 minutes adjusting a camera just to spend 30 minutes trying to take a picture of the rabbit itself. Any tips on using a DSLR for bunny pics? I notice a TON look blurry.

I'm not actually sure what a DSLR is. :shock: It's those big cameras with the lenses you swap, right?
I just point and shoot and take like five hundred pictures and hope one comes out OK. :lol:

For the blurry effect in these photos, I made a new layer in Photoshop to paint in the spaces I wanted to use blur on so I select those pixels, using multiple layers to better control strength of the blur and give the depth illusion. Example:

Attachments

• wip.jpg
    wip.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 1,998
Nyctra":ol20w4sr said:
I'm not actually sure what a DSLR is. :shock: It's those big cameras with the lenses you swap, right?
Exactly. I use a Canon Rebel T3 with a 50mm lens (colloquially known as a "nifty fifty") to get crisp, clean shots that are roughly true to perspective sizes. I also have an incredible telephoto lens that can zoom in on things for when I can't get close myself (good for wildlife photography). Or, if I want to be able to zoom in a little bit, but still be physically near my subject, I stick with the kit lens. l love that nifty fifty, though. :D

ButtonsPalace":ol20w4sr said:
Between using a DSLR and other camera's I have to say my $50 camera was way better. I could actually focus on my shot instead of spending 45 minutes adjusting a camera just to spend 30 minutes trying to take a picture of the rabbit itself. Any tips on using a DSLR for bunny pics? I notice a TON look blurry.
If you were getting blurry photos, you shutter speeds were too slow. You can either use the "sport" mode on your DSLR, or manually set the shutter speeds to the 1/500-1/1600 range. The faster the shutters, the less blur you'll get. If you're using manual settings, you'll have to increase the ISO (light exposure) to keep up with the higher shutter speeds, and then it's just a matter of playing around with your settings until you are getting crisp photos with good light, and little to no "grainy-ness".

This is why I end up taking 200-300 per session and deleting 90% in post production. :lol:

I know that all to well. Each time I take roughly 100 photos of 5-6 buns and sit for an hour trying to pick the bests before moving on, by that time I'm so aggravated with the awful quality I don't take pictures of the rest. I still don't have current pictures of all my rabbits.

Tried another...this time with Dumb Luck. I edited out some stuff I didn't like and tried the blur thing again.
I thought he would take better to the leash, but apparently he’s the sort that weaves around porch legs and tries to back out of a harness, so he didn’t get much ground time. :x So didn't get much to play with from him.

Attachments

• comparison.jpg
    comparison.jpg
    220.6 KB · Views: 1,976
  • Dumb-Luck.jpg
    Dumb-Luck.jpg
    300 KB · Views: 1,976
Looks great, Nyctra!

I never did get the hang of Photoshop (could have something to do with the fact I couldn't afford the full version, and didn't think I'd use it enough to save up for it). I did learn how to use GIMP a bit, but no matter, I'm really loving how you cleaned up the background! :)

eei Thanks! :oops:

I've been using PS CS3 for several years now. I think I got it at a student discount, and was allowed to put it on a few computers.
After several years of PS, I think I spent a total of 3 minutes in GIMP, screeched because I couldn't understand anything, and never touched it again. :x I'm liking SAI for drawing lately, but it doesn't have a Clone Stamp tool or similar to patch in blemishes like rusty horse trailers, and while there's a brush for blurring, it doesn't have the specific blur filters I like. :?

Back