Lego - Our Holland Lop

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

albrst

Reaction score
I haven't posted in this forum before, mostly in the rabbit care one. I was trying to find others who have rabbits just for pets, not breeding.

We have an almost 8 month old Holland Lop boy named Lego. He lives inside in our living room. I have four kids ages 6, 8, 12 and 15 so Lego, the rabbit, lives in chaos at all times. He seems to love to be pet and tolerates being held. He is a funny little rabbit that loves pajama pants (as in when the kids are wearing them and chases their legs).

We knew nothing about rabbits when we got him and are quickly learning. I do have a question for you all. At first he litter trained pretty easy to a litter box in his cage, then as he was allowed out more and more we had to put a second litter box outside the cage (he has a playyard area that he spends most of his time in that surrounds his cage). So now he uses the box outside the cage, occasionally pooping on the floor, but never peeing. But in his cage he uses everywhere but the litter box. Any suggestions? I have tried switching the two litter boxes and it didn't make a difference.

Kristy

Switching litter boxes can actually confuse rabbits about where they should go. Stick to the same potty corners. Firm dry little poops are not unusual, least with the one I had. Some times with larger areas they need more boxes, they don't really have the ability to hold it when they got to go and suddenly find themselves a room over from their box and have to go "now" lol. He may have gotten confused with the opening up of the area and need to be restarted small again. Is he fixed? If not, could be his way of starting to advertise maturity too.

So what would you suggest? If we have the cage open and he can wander out, he will NOT go back into to go potty, he will just pee on the carpet and floor. So should we keep both litter boxes but just leave them where they are? He is not fixed and we plan to have him fixed.

I could try one litter box that we move out during the day then move into his cage at night when he is shut in there?

More than one litter box will probably be needed to keep him from having accidents. Speck had run of 3 rooms in the end, there was a litter box for each room plus one for the hall and one for her cage in the particular spot she decided was "her" potty spot in each room. I tried moving it once, she had accidents and I had to start all over again. She was a senior retired breeding doe. Getting him fixed may help curb some of the issues you're having. Maybe some one else that has had a male house bunny or more will chime in too.

Okay I am setting everything back the way it was as far as in his cage and he's doing well with the one out. I will just encourage him to use it somehow, lol.

Kristy

What type of floor covering (if any) do you use in his cage?

If you use wood chips in the litter boxes AND on the main floor of his cage then he can get confused and just piddle whenever he feels woodchips under his feet and does not understand the difference

No floor covering like that. It's a wire bottom cage and I have plastic mats so he isn't on wire but no "bedding" in his cage. So nope, the only place he has anything like that is in the litter boxes.

Kristy

Latest posts

Back