Register

Processing Video.

Discussion of all aspects of rabbits as meat animals. If this subject is offensive to you, please do not visit.
Site Supporter
6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 2,983.00

Re: Processing Video.

Post Number:#31  Unread postby the reluctant farmer » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:18 pm

grumpy wrote:
I've processed critters all of my life and, with the exception of beaver, all are hung from a gambrel.

grumpy.

Not to get too far off topic, but now I'm curious: why not beaver? My brother trapped them when I was a kid, but I don't remember anything about how he processed them.

The video is great. Really appreciate you being so willing to share. Misting the legs makes sense, too.

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 10,950.00

Post Number:#32  Unread postby grumpy » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:07 am

the reluctant farmer wrote:
grumpy wrote:
I've processed critters all of my life and, with the exception of beaver, all are hung from a gambrel.

grumpy.

Not to get too far off topic, but now I'm curious: why not beaver? My brother trapped them when I was a kid, but I don't remember anything about how he processed them.

The video is great. Really appreciate you being so willing to share. Misting the legs makes sense, too.

All furbearers are "case" skinned, with the exception of beaver. They are "open" skinned. Open skinned means the pelt is opened from the lower lip, down the belly, to the anus in a straight line.
When fleshed and stretched you get the classic "circle" finished pelt.

grumpy.
Author of Historical Romance Novels: The Trilogy of: Box of Dreams, Scarlet Dreams, and Shattered Dreams.
My newest work: Now in publication. Redemption Road.
Visit my website for more information. http://www.ekfelts.com

The following user would like to thank grumpy for this post
Jessykah, the reluctant farmer

Site Supporter
6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 2,983.00

Post Number:#33  Unread postby the reluctant farmer » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:18 am

Ah! Makes sense. Thanks!

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 9,049.00

Post Number:#34  Unread postby mystang89 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:21 pm

You make that look MUCH easier watching the video than actually doing it. I tried killing a rabbit that way and couldn't get it to work so I whopped it over the head. Then tried skinning it the same way you did and just couldn't get it right. Guess it shows how years and hundreds of rabbits really give you the experience you need!

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership

Post Number:#35  Unread postby grumpy » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:48 pm

mystang89 wrote:You make that look MUCH easier watching the video than actually doing it. I tried killing a rabbit that way and couldn't get it to work so I whopped it over the head. Then tried skinning it the same way you did and just couldn't get it right. Guess it shows how years and hundreds of rabbits really give you the experience you need!

:D As with anything else, it takes practice, practice, practice. :D

I can recall my being a nervous wreck the first time I processed rabbits.
Amazing!!! That I can recall that time so many years ago.

A couple of minutes of personal instruction, and you'd be able to do it like a pro.
Hoping I'm not too graphic, but "stretch" the animal out. Keep their head
at about a 30-40 degree angle, wrist is rigid, quickly extend the stretch,
and SNAP "your wrist-their head" backwards towards the spine.

You'll note that I use my left-thigh for better leverage as well.

grumpy.
Author of Historical Romance Novels: The Trilogy of: Box of Dreams, Scarlet Dreams, and Shattered Dreams.

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 9,049.00

Post Number:#36  Unread postby mystang89 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:09 am

Thanks! I have 3 more to try this with so maybe by the 6th or 7th one I'll have it down :P

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 3,510.00

Post Number:#37  Unread postby Comet007 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:34 am

Thank you so much for this! I'm sure DH knows how to do this, since he's done it before and has cleaned many kinds of fish, fowl and wildlife, but I had no idea! I'll be showing it to him anyway, I'm sure he can get some ideas from it anyway since he's only done a few and it's been a long time. Even though he will likely be handling all of the processing, I like knowing how it's done, so that I'm not "hiding" from this aspect of breeding rabbits for meat!

United States of America
BunnyBucks: 635.00

Post Number:#38  Unread postby RR MiniSatins » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:28 pm

Thanks Grumpy for a great video. One question though, I saw that after you killed and hung the rabbit, you snapped the neck. Then when you pulled the pelt down, it looked like the head came off with the pelt. Did you have to cut around the neck or through the bone before that to get the head off so cleanly? Thanks.

Male
BunnyBucks: 1,179.00

Post Number:#39  Unread postby ramblingrabbit » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:30 pm

Great quality video! Thanks for making and sharing this, Grumpy.

Post Number:#40  Unread postby grumpy » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:40 pm

RR MiniSatins wrote:Thanks Grumpy for a great video. One question though, I saw that after you killed and hung the rabbit, you snapped the neck. Then when you pulled the pelt down, it looked like the head came off with the pelt. Did you have to cut around the neck or through the bone before that to get the head off so cleanly? Thanks.

The neck is dislocated at the very first of the video. It's fairly easy
to completely detach it with that "downward-pull" after the neck's
been cut. It stays with the pelt when I pull the hide down.

I don't have to use the knife at all on that segment. Pretty slick.

grumpy.

United States of America
BunnyBucks: 635.00

Post Number:#41  Unread postby RR MiniSatins » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:05 pm

That is very slick! I will definitely try it on my next rabbit.

Male
BunnyBucks: 1,179.00

Post Number:#42  Unread postby ramblingrabbit » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:53 pm

I wasn't able to get proper dislocation using a similar technique, so I stuck with the broomstick. But your technique is a little different than the one I tried to imitate, looks more reliable.

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Male
BunnyBucks: 40.00

Post Number:#43  Unread postby Pip Logan » Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:43 am

Thanks for the video Grumpy. After watching it, the whole proses finally made sense.

BunnyBucks: 90.00

Post Number:#44  Unread postby JulieCunicole » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:05 pm

Yet another "thank you," Grumpy. I'm a near-newbie (processed my 18th-21st rabbits last night!), and this answered alot of questions that I didn't even know to ask when I was first learning.

Post Number:#45  Unread postby grumpy » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:09 am

JulieCunicole wrote:Yet another "thank you," Grumpy. I'm a near-newbie (processed my 18th-21st rabbits last night!), and this answered alot of questions that I didn't even know to ask when I was first learning.

I'm glad it helped. Although I made this video for a processor writing protocols
for a USDA certification, I knew it would be a great help for those just
beginning to process their own family meat or meat for re-sale where
it's allowed by state law.

Over the last 40 years, I've processed literally thousands of rabbits.
These methods are the culmination of all those years processing rabbits.
I've tried to make this as simple, and contaminate-free as possible. Thus far
it's been well accepted by everyone who's viewed it.

The "dislocation" portion in the beginning has been the "toughest" part for
folks to master. It takes a fair amount of upper-body strength and a
bunch of practice.
Grumpy.
Last edited by grumpy on Thu May 01, 2014 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

The following user would like to thank grumpy for this post
JulieCunicole

PreviousNext