last litter has 3 REWs, this means...?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KimitsuKouseki

Reaction score
So BigMama's last litter had 3 white kits, I was hoping they'd be BEWs as that would've informed that both parents were carriers wich is good for me. Turns out they are REWs so now I'm not sure what this means, for Edward.

Edward is the father, he's a brown eyed chocolate otter. He has no visible vienna mark. His mother was a blue eyed vienna marked chocolate and his sister was a blue eyed vienna marked chocolate harlequin. He's a first time dad and I was hoping some blue eyes would show up telling me he's a carrier.

BigMama is the mother, she's a dark shade of broken cream. This is her second litter she'd had with me, but she hadn't given me any colored eyes yet. Though her daughter did have brown eyes with a red hue, but they werent outright red. After this I know for a fact she carries red wich is a shame, but oh well she gives me too many fun colors and she's a great mom.

Litter info with pics : http://kimitsukouseki.wixsite.com/bunbun-stories/2017-05-30-bigmamaedward

So if I got REWs, is it that both carry red eyes or is it that Edward carries blue and BigMama red and the kits got both causing the all white but red won over blue? I ask because I'd be shocked if Edward carried red, carrying blue even without a vienna mark markes more sense. I'm just a bit confused atm.

System error, brain can't compute requires assistance to continue function.
:comperror:
..... the answer is probly obvious and I'd wager it's the second option where he carries blue and red won over it.

They both have to carry red eyed white. Blue eyed white and red eyed white are separate genes, they can carry both, btw

Their eyes have opened now I take it.
Okay from what I understand is the vienna gene is co-dominant. Meaning that both the dam and the sire have to carry the Vienna gene in order to have the kits express the blue eyes you are after. By the looks of it, BigMama is not a carrier.
Okay SableSteel said it before I finished typing.

Sagebrush":3bfwczps said:
Their eyes have opened now I take it.

Yup, white bunnies looking at me with red eyes was pretty obvious and disapointing. I rly hoped they'd be blue eyes pout.

Thanks both of you, btw does the REW gene cause marks like vienna? There's a vienna mark in the litter so I'm wondering if Edward carries both red and blue then?

REW is albino and is on the 'C' gene. In order to get a Ruby Eyed White, both parents must carry the recessive 'c' gene for albino and give it to the baby so the white baby will have 'cc' in it's genetic color code.

Personally, I like REWs and find BEWs kinda spooky lookin', but that's just me. The bunnies here are English angora, so pretty soon they get so much fluff over their eyeballs you can't see 'em anyway.

The Vienna gene is separate from the rest of the standard color genes and you need both parents to give it to the baby to get a BEW. I think it's usually a 'V' in the gene list.

Dominant 'A' will create an agouti patterned rabbit. White around the eyes, in the ears and underneath. Two recessive 'aa' will give you a solid color pattern so they won't have the white.

Dominant 'B' will give you a Black rabbit, a pair of recessive 'bb' s will give you a chocolate bunny.

The C gene gets complicated, it has Chinchilla in both Light Chinchilla as well as Dark Chinchilla, but the easy way to look at 'C' is that a dominant 'C' creates a Colored rabbit and a double recessive 'cc' is your white or albino rabbit.

Dominant 'D' means the color will be Dense. A double 'dd' means diluted. So with a double recessive 'dd', your agouti rabbit becomes lynx (I think it's lynx is the dilute agouti), your black rabbit becomes blue, your chocolate rabbit becomes lilac.

Dominant E means the hair color Extends all the way to the end of the hair shaft. If there are two recessive 'ee' s, then the yellow color will go but the rest of the colors don't. That's where fawns and tortoiseshells come in.

There's a gene for broken colors, 'EN' although I'm not sure if the broken is dominant or what since there aren't any of those genes in the rabbits here. Same with the Vienna or 'V' gene.

thanks hotzcatz, I'm not familiar with REW since I personnaly am not fond of red eyes so it's why I wasn't as well versed on it as with the BEW gene.

Funny though, my dad seems to like red eyes, he's been saying "now that's a real rabbit!" over and over since I found they are REWs XD

Ha! I like your dad! He's got sensible ideas about what makes a good looking rabbit. ;)

You can name one of the the new REW bunnies the "Rabbit of Caerbannog" since he's a REW. Did you ever see the 'Killer Bunny' sequence on Monty Python? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nvs5pqf-DMA Gotta watch out for them REWs!

Lol taste can't be argued over. I like blue eyes a lot that's all.

And no I have not seen it, nor will I, not my kind of comedy, only killer rabbit I know is in world of warcraft wich I'm guessing was based on what you mentionned.
Also, I don't need to name em since they'll be sold.

There's a killer bunny in WOW? Guess I'm missing stuff by not playing the online version. Monty Python was British humor of the late sixties, early seventies, I think it was. Quirky but fun.

A lot of the bunnies around here get named even if they're gonna be sold. Most times their new people give them new names. As long as the rabbit doesn't have any offspring, I'll change the names on their pedigrees. I use the names so I can kinda keep track of which ones were born in which year.

Well, I was out feeding the bunnies today and noticed a Vienna mark on the head of the new baby chocolate. Ratz! That now makes that one non-showable. ARRRGH! There's a bunny show coming up later this year, I'd hoped to have a chocolate to take.

So how exactly does the Vienna gene work? It's a recessive? Both parents have to give it in order to get BEW and if just one parent gives it, then Vienna marks? I'm guessing it's the doe since I doubt Phineus has the gene. Jessie doesn't show any marks, though, so I'm also guessing a rabbit can carry it and not show any marks?

I already decimated the herd once before to clean out the Vienna gene, I really don't want to do it again if I can help it. I'd started with three bucks and three does and one of the bucks had the gene. I'd gotten rid of most of his offspring, I'll have to see if and how the black doe that gave birth is related to him.

Okay, I went and looked. This is a rabbit who's parents four generations back were from someone trying to breed for BEWs. I really wish folks would mark 'possible VC' on the pedigrees.

hotzcatz":2ui5js04 said:
Well, I was out feeding the bunnies today and noticed a Vienna mark on the head of the new baby chocolate. Ratz! That now makes that one non-showable. ARRRGH! There's a bunny show coming up later this year, I'd hoped to have a chocolate to take.

So how exactly does the Vienna gene work? It's a recessive? Both parents have to give it in order to get BEW and if just one parent gives it, then Vienna marks? I'm guessing it's the doe since I doubt Phineus has the gene. Jessie doesn't show any marks, though, so I'm also guessing a rabbit can carry it and not show any marks?
I've been looking for a english angora in my area but they are insanelly rare here, I'd be very happy to take that vienna marked off your hands XD depending how bad shipping fees would be. I'm dead serious btw.

The vienna gene works like this :
both parents must be carriers and the kit needs to get both genes from them in order to make a BEW.
If the kit receives 1 gene and has blue eyes and/or a white area on the body it is a Vienna marked
If the kit receives 1 gene has normal eyes and no visible white mark, it is a vienna carrier

On my rabbits:
- when I got Lady I didn't expect to keep her, turns out she's a vienna mark. Her white spot is smaller then a dime and it's right on her genitals. She already gave me 2 blue eyed kits too, too bad they didn't survive the crazy weather we had latellly (hot cold, rain rain rain hot rain cold rain, etc..... they stood too close to the door of their cage and got wet all the time, sad stories happen)
- Since I got a vienna mark in this litter that got the 3 REWs and I'm pretty sure BigMama doesn't carry the gene it would mean Edward is a vienna carrier. He's a chocolate otter, but has no visible white marks. I was rly sad when I lost his blue eyed sister cause I tough I had lost the blue eyes from that bloodline. Edward being VC is good news for me. <br /><br /> __________ Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:28 am __________ <br /><br />
hotzcatz":2ui5js04 said:
There's a killer bunny in WOW? Guess I'm missing stuff by not playing the online version. Monty Python was British humor of the late sixties, early seventies, I think it was. Quirky but fun.
Oh also, I almost forgot, http://wow.gamepedia.com/Darkmoon_Rabbit

Sagebrush":lttkgddt said:
I think I might have a dark moon rabbit...... hard to say since I haven't played in almost a year.
I haven't played in years but I know that's one I don't have just cause I never got around to it. But I remember getting murdered by it back when it was new and I was exploring the island for fun.

Latest posts

Back