Large tummy

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

preciousgurl63

Reaction score
Just kind of curious. I had a ad up about my NZ buck being sick with diarrhea. Well he is doing a lot better now with no more signs of diarrhea but I'm curious something. He does eat and drink a lot. I thought that could be because his a meat rabbit. Well I've noticed he has a big tummy area and I don't know why. I think its from him eating so much but I'm just not sure. I want to find out because his in the bunny barn with the other rabbits. He doesn't seem sick but how do I know I really never had a sick rabbit before. I can try to get some pictures of him tomorrow. Question if he has worms or anything like that would that enlarge his stomach?

How can I get rid of those? I don't want to lose him since his going to be breeding buck this spring.

Baycox toltrazuril is one medicine that can be used for coccidiosis - here's where to buy it http://www.allthingsbunnies.com/product-p/med132.htm
It stays in the system a long time so you don't have to dose as long as some other drugs.

Corid seems like the drug most people use for cocci, but I've read that some believe cocci is becoming immune to it.

I'm not sure if they also work for pinworms.

Peperazine is used for pinworms-- usually you can see pinworms on the poo if they have them.

Here's a good guide to look up information on treatments for rabbit diseases.
http://www.welshrabbitry.com/health.html

A bloated stomach could also be caused by other things too like a bacterial infection or enteritis but you would probably see mucus in the poo or mushy poo and diarrhea.

Well I have no money to get any medicine. My parents are helping me out and they don't have the money for the rabbit since they have more important issues to deal with. So I just think I might have to cull him.

Also since he is in the bunny barn can the other rabbits get it? I have 5 others and don't want to loose any of them. And is there any signs to help me figure out what he might have?

Everything is contagious. I think the eggs from cocci live for months in the environments so clean everything with bleach. Diarrhea is a symptom of lots of things, coccidiosis, e.coli. and other bacteria so its hard to tell which one. I know you don't have money but if the others come down with it instead of guessing and treating with the wrong thing which would waste money it would probably be better to call up some vets and see if they can do a fecal exam to see if there are coccidiosis eggs or e.coli.

If you are culling that one rabbit you can do a necropsy, rabbits with cocci get white spots on their livers or intestines. If you scroll down on this site there are pictures of a liver and intestines with coccidiosis, all white and spotty. http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_disease ... occ_en.htm

Latest posts

Back