Lakeland Rabbit Habit

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coyotejoe

Reaction score
I have been feeding my bunnies on Purina Rabbit Chow pellets. To get it I have to drive 23 miles to Libby and pay $20.99 for 50 pounds. I've just discovered that a local store in near by Troy has this Lakeland Rabbit Habit at $18.00 for 50 but is it as good as Purina? <br /><br /> -- Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:45 pm -- <br /><br /> Sorry, that image is not as good as I had hoped, it says:
Crude Protein---min.16%
Crude fat-------min2.3%
Crude fiber-----min 16% max 18%
Calcium--------min 0.60% max 0.85%
Phosphorus ---min 0.40%
Sodium--------min 0.30% max 0.55%
Vitamin A -----min 11,500 IU/LB
Ingredients Suncure Alfalfa, Wheat Middlings, Barley, Yellow Corn, Soybean meal, Salt and a whole bunch of other stuff.

Attachments

• Lakeland.jpg
    Lakeland.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 1,203
I've long since put my rabbit off pellets because it's so expensive but from what I can tell it's good. Rabbits do better on a high fiber diet. So if this is good you can always trying and see how your rabbits like it.

Protein seems a bit low, but it depends on how hard you push your rabbits, and if you feed alfalfa at the same time like many of us westerners. With good alfalfa, you might be ok from the extra protein in the hay. I don't like to feed corn or soy, but I'd bet that the amount of those two ingredients is pretty low. Like Celice said, you might try it and see how you do. I'd be more concerned about the consistency and freshness of each batch - do the pellets smell good and look dark green when you open the bag? Or are they dusty, musty, and brown?

Their feed is made in your neck of the woods Joe. Their web site says it's $16.39 for 50# bag of Rabbit Habit. Are you near any of their company stores?

Hamilton, Dillon or Alberton, MT are the three locations. Hamilton is the main mill location.

And yes it appear to be about as good as Purina if you're talking about "Complete"
Crude Fiber (min.) 17.00%,
Crude Protein (min.) 16.00%,
Crude Fat (min.) 1.50%,
Calcium (Ca) (min.) 0.60%,
Phosphorus (P) (min.) 0.40%,
Salt (NaCl) (min.) 0.50%,
Crude Fiber (max.) 20.00%,
Calcium (Ca) (max.) 1.10%,
Salt (NaCl) (max.) 1.00%,
Vitamin A (min.) 4,650 IU/lb

Thanks for the replies all. No Homer, it wouldn't be worth the drive to Hamilton, even if I bought 1,000 pounds at a time the savings wouldn't repay my cost for gasoline.
As to what the pellets look like, actually I haven't yet opened the bag. :lol:
I've been giving them local grass hay instead of alfalfa because I know I tend to overfeed the adults. <br /><br /> -- Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:11 pm -- <br /><br /> Here's a visual comparison, Lakeland on the left, Purina Complete on the right. They look pretty similar except that the Lakeland pellets are very much larger.

Attachments

• Lakeland vrs. Purina.jpg
    Lakeland vrs. Purina.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 1,158

Latest posts

Back