Register

Knives

Discussion of all aspects of rabbits as meat animals. If this subject is offensive to you, please do not visit.
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 315.00

Knives

Post Number:#1  Unread postby Lowstorm » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:42 pm

So last butcher day we went to my parents house to butcher. Worked great... Because my dad has awesome knives from the 70s that I have no idea how to find.

So does anyone have a link to a set of good butchering knives that aren't $50+ each?!?! That's the price I keep seeing. It's insane! I have a litter that's will past butchering time. Well, a few weeks past. I need to git er dun soon. Hopefully next Friday.

1 year of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 2,595.00

Re: Knives

Post Number:#2  Unread postby shazza » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:15 pm

i use disposable scalpels...i have a bunch for doing taxdermy work and i've found they're just as good for butchering too. it's a metal handle and removable, sterilised blades. you can get them in packs of 100 on amazon for pretty cheap. always sharp, when they get dull just replace em and keep doing what you're doing. i kinda prefer them over knives because they aren't as big and i can get into smaller spaces (again, taxidermy is about precision and i've just gotten into that habit of skinning/gutting style and i'm most comfortable with it.) of course a good knife will last longer, but scalpels are cheap lol.
mini lop, standard rex, meat mutts
tumblr: @babbits | facebook: @frithyeer.rabbits | ig: @frithyeerfarm

United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 330.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby UFCreel » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:40 am

I have my fathers knives from way back when. But a good alternative that works good are Rapala fillet knives. I have the 4" at $18.99 and the 9" not sure what the 9" costs.

Site Supporter
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 1,158.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby AmberRae » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:51 am

Shazza is right about the scalpels. Other than those in my experience you have to spend a bit of money if you want a good knife. The Rapala fillet knives are not bad but they are not great imo either. I love Dexter Russell and Knives of Alaska.

3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 303.00

Post Number:#5  Unread postby tarheel506 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:39 pm

I use these https://www.buckknives.com/product/pakl ... 0141FAM01/

I love Buck knives, but I have never paid full price for them. Buck does awesome sales, and if you sign up for their emails you'll get all sorts of coupons. Their lifetime guarantee is no joke...they will fix or replace anything. My everyday knife is a folding knife I got from Buck 12 years ago and I still love it.

In the kitchen I have my Nana's knives from way back when...I'll be very sad when/if I have to look for replacements :cry:

2 years of membership2 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 542.00

Post Number:#6  Unread postby Dwc77 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:44 pm

I'm with AmberRae dexter Russell's are my favorite my dad found some years ago for a dollar apiece garage sale I think they were not new but still. I've snagged two of them and have cleaned lots of catfish and butchered everything from hogs to rabbits. I think they are just a 7" fillet knife.

Site Supporter
1 year of membership
BunnyBucks: 2,564.00

Post Number:#7  Unread postby 2CrazyFools » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:08 pm

I don't like sharpening knives so... this is my favorite. :D

Havalon Piranta Z Folding Blade Skinning Knife 2 3/4" Blade ($33) which comes with 16 replacement blades and I purchased 100 replacement blades ($34) on top of that.

I went through 3 blades (~$1 in blades) to process 16 rabbit yesterday. I could have done it in two but... I like the edge, lol. It's also my favorite knife for deboning too since the blades are so thin and super sharp.
Rabbitry ~ ImageImageImage ~ Recipes

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 5,405.00

Post Number:#8  Unread postby Ramjet » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:33 am

I make my own knives .... most are 1095 steel or 1095/15n20 Damascus and I can tailor the blade and edge to specific tasks.
Hindsight is always 20/20 but looking back its still a bit fuzzy.

https://www.facebook.com/texrex.rabbits

TexRexRabbitry@Hotmail.com

Site Supporter
4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Austria
BunnyBucks: 3,779.00

Post Number:#9  Unread postby Preitler » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:56 pm

This are the tools I use, very much inspired by Grumpys video.

I converted a small old peeling or whatever knive, and for the bigger jobs like cutting the pelvis or the head off I use my Glock army knive, it also serves as a backup bopping device.
I keep both knives pretty much razor sharp.

The garden scissors are for the feet and head (I cut around with the knive, then severe the neck with the scissors), the pliers (tips ground narrow) are for the gall bladder.
Attachments
tools.jpg
tools.jpg (33.27 KiB) Viewed 1060 times
"Sometimes I stand by the door and look into the darkness, then I am reminded how dearly I cherish my boredom, and what a precious commodity is so much misery"

The following user would like to thank Preitler for this post
Lowstorm

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 661.00

Post Number:#10  Unread postby wildeden » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:07 am

Lowstorm wrote:
So does anyone have a link to a set of good butchering knives that aren't $50+ each?!?!

This one http://www.bunnyrancher.com/store/p7/Friedrich_Dick_4%22_Poultry_%26_Rabbit_Knife.html is only $13.25 plus shipping! :pancake:
Bunny Rancher
Find Bunny Rancher on Facebook
"From birth to dispatch, you'll find every tool will make raising rabbits so much easier! Home of the Ballista and Arbalest Penetrating Bolt Gun."

Our rabbitry: Wild Eden Rabbitry
Raising quality Californian stock for show and meat production.
Wild Eden Rabbitry Facebook Page

BunnyBucks: 7,360.00

Post Number:#11  Unread postby Sagebrush » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:57 am

Wildeden, I just took a look at your website, I love it BTW. Anyway I saw your award, couldn't help but laugh. I am so going to be purchasing a few of these when I have the opportunity!

The following user would like to thank Sagebrush for this post
wildeden

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 661.00

Post Number:#12  Unread postby wildeden » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:13 am

hahahah thank you! That I did make myself ;) Gotta have a sense of humor when culling!
Bunny Rancher
Find Bunny Rancher on Facebook
"From birth to dispatch, you'll find every tool will make raising rabbits so much easier! Home of the Ballista and Arbalest Penetrating Bolt Gun."

Our rabbitry: Wild Eden Rabbitry
Raising quality Californian stock for show and meat production.
Wild Eden Rabbitry Facebook Page

BunnyBucks: 315.00

Post Number:#13  Unread postby Lowstorm » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:40 pm

Thanks everyone! The army knife is the most like what we need. Something that will go through bones. The BF says the fillet knife won't work for it. We do the bop n behead style. He calls it bop n stop Lol.

BunnyBucks: 12,060.00

Post Number:#14  Unread postby GBov » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:41 am

Sorry to be late to chime in but I just use any knife in the drawer and keep it SHARP with a knife sharpener. About every min or so I draw it through the sharpener so it never has the chance to go dull.

Have used paring knives, filet knives, big old kitchen knives, have even used a steak knife once when I couldn't find anything else. :lol:

The key is the sharpener. Sharp knives do the job, blunt ones don't.

And I try to never EVER break a bone, I pop joints instead when I take one apart. Sharp bone splinters will hurt you or will cut through the vacuum bag so you don't get a proper seal.

Site Supporter
Austria
BunnyBucks: 3,779.00

Post Number:#15  Unread postby Preitler » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:14 am

Right, I don't cut or break any bones either, no more punctured freezer bags :)

The longer knive isn't better, I just can aply force when needed, or the lenght is helpful, like when cutting the rib cage from inside, but for everything else its size and thick blade are a drawback. 95% of the work I do with that cheap, small thin bladed but sharp knive, I could do all with that. (except bopping, but any piece of iron would do).

As GBov said, more important is that it is and stays sharp.
"Sometimes I stand by the door and look into the darkness, then I am reminded how dearly I cherish my boredom, and what a precious commodity is so much misery"

Next