Register

Knives

Discussion of all aspects of rabbits as meat animals. If this subject is offensive to you, please do not visit.
1 year of membership
United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 621.00

Re: Knives

Post Number:#16  Unread postby Ghost » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:37 pm

When you skin and butcher rabbits, do you prefer to use knives with permanent blades or disposable blades, or do you use both when working on different parts of the rabbit? I can see that a few of you have already weighed in on this thread.

In the YouTube videos, the hard-core off-grid/preppers/homesteader are defiantly opposed to disposable blade knifes, because of the survivalist angle. But by stocking-up, I think surviving the next Katrina won't be imperiled by running out of blades. If it's a civilization ending event, I'm checking out anyway.

When I did my meat rabbits 10 years ago, I started saving up to get some good permanent blade knives. Did not stay with the project long enough to get them. For fish and rabbits I mostly used dollar store razor knives. Now I'm thinking about getting quality handles (those that are rugged and easily sanitized) to hold trapezoid blades. along with exacto/scalpel type blades and some EMT scissors https://duckduckgo.com/?q=emt+scissors&atb=v34-5__&iax=images&ia=images

What are your opinions on replaceable vs disposable blades?
You have to do the most good for the most. You most remember that a few will won't make it. Don't be ashamed to shed a tear for the ones lost along the way, we will not hold it against you. Just remember "the herd goes on".

2 years of membership2 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 2,775.00

Post Number:#17  Unread postby shazza » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:39 pm

honestly most of the reason why i use the disposable scalpel blades is because i prefer the precision. i skin 99% of my rabbits for taxidermy use, so precision is pretty important. i've gotten so used to these little, accurate knives that even using a kitchen knife to chop veggies is awkward for me - it just feels so unwieldy. even when i don't have to very precise in what i'm doing, i still reach for my scalpel because it's more comfortable for me. so i think if someone could make me a fixed-blade knife about the size and precision of a scalpel, that would work. but then i'd have to learn how to really keep it sharp, and if our kitchen knives are any indication, that's going to be a bit of a challenge
standard rex, meat/fur mutts
tumblr: @babbits | facebook: @frithyeer.rabbits | ig: @frithyeerfarm

1 year of membership
United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 621.00

Post Number:#18  Unread postby Ghost » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:11 pm

I suppose the reason for me choosing disposable blades is, I do not want to fret over a damage blade or spend a long time resharpening it. With disposable blades, I can toss it and start fresh. I don't mind a minute or two honing a blade to achieve peak sharpness prior to use. I am considering getting more expansive disposables with S&H exacto #23's will cost me $8-$10 for a 5 pack. If I use those, I will want to keep them up as long as possible. I found how to use a car window to hone a blade. Experimenting with my trapezoid blade glass sharpening seams to make it sharper.
You have to do the most good for the most. You most remember that a few will won't make it. Don't be ashamed to shed a tear for the ones lost along the way, we will not hold it against you. Just remember "the herd goes on".

Previous