kits won't come out?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anntann

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
ARRGHGHGHH. 4 kits. all have eyes open, ears standing (New Zealands) and only ONE comes out of the nestbox. He hops all over the place. happy bunny. The other 3 are just LAZY. They can move. I can handle them an they squiggle all over, they move arund when I put them outside..but they just stay in the nestbox and sleep. BIG buggers.

so....unless someone tells me it's a TERRIBLE idea..here's what I plan on doing:

tip the nest box over. Take the slugs out of the little cuddle they've formed, and make them wander from one end of the cage.

Thoughts?

__________ Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:11 am __________

<br /><br />__________ Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:12 am __________<br /><br />eta: they're almost 3 weeks old now

It certainly won't hurt them. If they were out in the cold, it would be different, but I can't think that, in the house, there is any reason for them to stay in the nest all the time at 2 weeks plus.

It may have something to do with Mama-san's mothering style. Some does are strict mothers and some are permissive. I had a doe that used to keep hers in the box as long as possible. Not sure how she did it, but I had no doubt that it was her doing. She kindled huge litters and they'd no doubt have driven her bonkers if they'd been out early. Her sister, Patches, on the other hand was permissive and very loving to her babies.

Well, we'll see :) She's been going in the box in the middle of the day now to nurse as well mornnings and nights. Fat little freeloaders. Although I suppose that makes them IDEAL candidates for the fast-track-to-freezer-camp :D

They should be quite able to come out now...especially since it is plenty warm. On the other hand, the doe will continue to feed them well as long as they stay there and she feeds on her terms.....it sets a time for feeding. Once all of them come out and start to continuously bother her for food, she will probably start keeping them all away...the food time will be disrupted and she will wean them to free herself of the attention.

You willl probably find they are comming out at night, or in the earliy morning. I have that with most of my does. There will always be that precocious one who comes out several days before the rest, after a few days a couple of more, and always a few that will stay in the nestbox whenever you come in.

how old?

Tip the box if older than four weeks. Until they are four weeks I don't tend to worry about them much.

Well, they were all out and snuggled up OUTSIDE the nest when I went up earlier. There was quite a bit of hay in front of the nestbox, so they were quite able to get back in if they wanted. Since they were out, I cleaned out the box, put it back in. The 3 slugs were looking around hesitantly. Number 4 was all over the place. He grabs a quick snack and then goes exploring. So far I've found tiny poops in the food bin(it's 4" off the floor), the water crock, and in Mama's hidey box.

Latest posts

Back