Kits slowly dying! HELP!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CynthiaG

Reaction score
Hello, I'm new to this whole rabbit breeding thing I had barely bought my rabbit a week ago and lo and behold big mama give me a litter of 9 kits three days ago. so as you can see it was quite a surprise for we weren't expecting any kits till the end of summer when I was gonna start breeding and insured I had everything I needed. Well with this surprise I had to compromise. I made a nest box out of a plastic crate that we cut in half so it wouldn't be too tall and we put big momma and her babies in a dog kennel so she didn't have to share the cage with the other female. Everything seemed to be going fine till yesterday evening when I found two dead kits. And again this morning I found three dead and one that looked really weak, I don't think it'll make it. I live in San Antonio,Texas and we've been having about 100* weather. I have a box fan on all my rabbits and they are under trees in my back yard who's branches practically touch the ground so it's like they're in a little tree cave. Are they dying doe to the heat or is momma accidentally squishing them? Or one thing I also noticed is that they were skinny like they haven't fed. What can I do?! Thanks for the help in advance!!

Wow,that's REALLY hot.

A fan will help not much, because the cooling effect that it brings for us is due to the sweat evaporating - rabbits can't sweat.

Put a cold water bottle into the nestbox, on one side, so the kits can wiggle to and fro to find a comfortable temperature zone. If you use a frozen water bottle put it in a sock or wrap it in a towel.

We are in Corpus Christi-I feel your pain:( If you are worried about their appetite, you may want to try and assist in feedings. I would not eye dropper feed unless it gets desperate, but the easiest way to help them is to take the mom out and bring the babies to her while you hold her. You can do this two ways. I recommend putting the kits between your legs, and sitting momma on your lap. They will nurse from underneath her but she will not squish them, and this is the way she feeds them naturally. You can also flip her over and put them on top of her. But if you do it this way, be aware that mom may protest and send the babies flying. It can happen quickly, so you should be very careful. Its less natural and to me it makes less sense because being on her back, the milk isn't flowing in the proper direction :? It works tho! The advice on keeping them cool is great. Its true the fan only helps with circulation of the area, which can aid in cooling them but not in the same way we cool down. Best of luck-hope they quit dying on you!

The heat could well be the problem, but it sounds to me as though the doe may not be feeding them, or not feeding them enough. Three days is about the limit they can go without proper feeding. Could be the doe does not have enough milk or that her instincts to feed them have not cut in. Is this her first litter? A lot of first-time does are clueless, but do better a second or third time. Stress could also be a factor. Many rabbits take time to adjust to a new home and to kindle on top of that had to be stressful.

The link below will help you to determine if the kits are being fed.
fed-vs-unfed-kit-pictures-t3052.html

If they are not being fed, you can try hand-raising, but already weakened kits will not have a good chance of survival. Don't be too downhearted if they don't make it in spite of your best efforts.
updated-hand-feeding-formula-t27372.html
formula-feeding-baby-bunnies-pics-vids-t3691.html

If you think it's the heat just keep the kits in the house. I prefer to bring the mom inside to nurse rather than bringing the kits out to her. If she's hard to handle then bring the kits to her.

Thanks all of y'all for the advice she was feeding them quite well cause the kits that were still alive were well rounded and looked all snugly. This mama rabbits was a proven breeder so it wasn't her first litter but I feel that maybe since I didn't know she was pregnant I couldn't help her prepare for she didnt even pull hair from her chest. Idk if maybe that messed with her instincts as well. I will definitely try the frozen bottle next time for that is what I do for the adult bunnies but I figured it would be too harsh for the babies. Sadly I lost the rest of the kits that same day just later in the day when I went to check on them. I'm pretty sad about it but I took it as a learning lesson and will try to get the information I can before I have a planned pregnancy. So please any other advice for me on raising kits in central/southern texas? Thanks again <br /><br /> -- Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:57 pm -- <br /><br /> Also I feed my rabbits Timothy hay, and pellets from tractor supply. Other than that they'll get random treats from my garden like slices of cucumbers carrots and some tomato but rarely

I bring mine in the a/c, which means in my house. This means my breeding program slows way down during the hot texas summer, because I dont want to manage as much if they are inside. I don't know if it played a factor but if you suspect it you could try that next time.....I dont think anything or anyone feels like nursing or eating as much in this heat!

I used to keep my previous rabbits inside and besides the fact that my in laws didn't want them in here (since we rent from them) the moment I took them outside they would die of heat exhaustion cause they weren't used to it. Even though I but them in shade and even put ice packs with them. That's why I'm scared to bring them in

i have also heard that a doe should not have kits in hot weather because something happens to the does heart that causes her to eventually die. I'm unsure if this is true?

Back