• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rabbit Talk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Kits for sale

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ButtonsPalace

Reaction score
Want to breed doe but no space for kits first litter was 11 kits with 3 extremely small runts not making it to weaning *I am 18 wasn't sure what to do done tons of research since then* I would love to breed her again she is an American Chinchilla and can be bred to a AC buck or a Holland Lop *he is chocolate tri **from what I figure** Please let me know as soon as possible if you would like some

__________ Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:16 pm __________

Will more than likely be bred to Holland buck. They will be $10 dollars each. I live in Burnsville, North Carolina. Please comment if you would like one I need a good few people to buy some <br /><br /> __________ Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:28 pm __________ <br /><br /> NEED SOME BUYERS!!! PLEASE!?

Do you raise meat rabbits?
Because if not, it seems pretty unlikely to be a good idea to breed these rabbits. Finding good homes for purebreds is difficult already, much less trying to get folks to commit, in advance, to buying mixed breed rabbits. :oops:

They are meat rabbits. We keep ours as pets and sell for $10 dollars but they are meat. If mixed with lop then I'm not sure if you'd be able to/want to eat that though

You've done some research on breeding, that's great! Now, before you start breeding, do some more research on what sells in your area. You already should have an idea, you posted basically the same thing in December- how did that go for you?

I am not too far from you, in Virginia, and I have been breeding and selling for a few years now. I have found two different types of buyers- pet buyers and meat rabbit buyers. Pet buyers want lionheads, mini lops and the like. No mixes. Meat rabbit buyers want large meat rabbits- Californians or New Zealands, mostly. You might be able to sell some purebred AC, but I doubt there is much market for the cross you are talking about. Do some research. Check Craigslist, local breeders, local animal sales, and see what sells. See what prices people are getting.

As it is, I can't see anyone committing to buy a rabbit that isn't of show quality lines that isn't even born yet. No pictures, no sex information, nothing. You need to be realistic with your plans, and put some more thought into them before you jump into something. Did you get some more cages for the grow outs yet?

Well we are out of cages and I have a possibly pregnant doe *accident* and nowhere to put them they would be pure bred AC's though that's about all I know. They don't seem to sell very well but if she does have some I am going to post about it everywhere and sell them

Kits with an uncertain father that are out of unpedigreed chinchilla colored rabbit would generally be considered meat mutts.

Crossed with your lop, they would still be considered meat mutts.

Most places do not have a large market for live ones.

I know that you are guessing their breed based on color (because you asked on here).

It isn't really fair to tell buyers that they are a heritage breed based on that.

It doesn't really matter though, as most wouldn't consider them any kind of purebred without a 3 generation pedigree...for good reasons. My point is that their value will still be approximately the same value as a meat mutt.

Maybe you could see if your state allows the sale of dressed fryers?

I got in contact with the breeder at one point after posting while I wasn't on for a very long time he has kept pure AC's for quite some time though he does keep wilds he has caught separate from the rest for eating

If remember correctly your two chinchilla coloured rabbits produced red eyed white kits so I highly doubt they are purebred American Chinchillas

White New Zealand's are a very popular meat rabbit and will produce chinchilla coloured kits 100% of the time when crossed to an American Chinchilla but their mixed breed offspring will produce both colours

Zass":3nqmp0es said:
It doesn't really matter though, as most wouldn't consider them any kind of purebred without a 3 generation pedigree...for good reasons. My point is that their value will still be approximately the same value as a meat mutt.

:yeahthat: When it comes to selling kits, in your situation, it's unfortunately not going to matter if they are purebred or not, because the parents don't have pedigrees, so you can't give the kits pedigrees. Since you don't have pedigrees for the parents, you won't be able to call the rabbits purebreds when you sell them. Even if they are. You're going off of the word of the breeder you got them from, with no records to tell you if that information was accurate. You may trust his word, but your buyers probably don't know the breeder and so they can't make a decision about if they trust his word or not. I don't want to sound harsh, and I'm not saying this to be mean--I just want to help you understand how to market these rabbits to your best advantage since this is something that you're still learning how to do.

If you don't feel comfortable calling them meat mutts and feel that you must say what breed that they are, then it would be much better to say that you got them from a breeder who tells you that they are purebred AC, but you don't have any pedigrees or other documentation to verify this, instead of saying that they are AC. That way, you're telling your potential buyers all the information that you have, you're being open and honest about it. On the other hand, if you advertised them as purebred AC, and then a buyer looking for purebred AC was interested in them and asked to see their pedigrees, or the pedigrees of their parents, and you couldn't show them pedigrees, then they may doubt your honesty. (To be clear, I'm not saying that you're dishonest, or that the breeder you got your rabbits from is dishonest--I'm just saying that that's how it might look to a potential buyer.)

A buyer who is looking specifically for purebred rabbits needs a pedigree... they can't use the rabbits for showing without a pedigree; they can't breed them to produce pedigreed rabbits to sell or show without a pedigree. Since you don't have records to document these rabbits' ancestry, your best market for any kits they produce would be as meat rabbits. It's not at all a bad thing to be raising rabbits that can't be used for show and that aren't likely to be wanted as pets; it's just important to be open with potential buyers about the kits not being pedigreed, and that you can't prove that they are purebred. :)

And again, I'm sorry if this comes across as being harsh. I know this whole situation is probably a bit intimidating to you, at your age and without having much experience in selling kits. We're here to help you, but sometimes the most helpful thing to do is to say something that you might not want to hear. :encourage: Please keep us posted! :) And let us know if you need help figuring out how to advertise for them. Good luck with your possibly pregnant doe! :D

I think everyone has hit the nail on the head with this one.

I would just label them as 'Meat rabbit mutts" and don't be afraid to post a for sale sign on craigslist! there are good buyers from there! I do a lot of my meat rabbit sale from there and have had very good luck. Just the other day I had a lady come by to pick up a NZ mutt I had because hers had gotten to old to keep up with the ladies - the buyer was very nice and knew what she wanted - she came and left very happy with her buck - while I got more cage space!

In my area people want 'meat' rabbits because there are a lot of farmers here that raise their own food. But I do have the pet buyer every once in a while. Find out what your area wants in rabbits and list them accordingly! many meat rabbits can be good pets to so make sure to also list that!

keep trying and be honest with your sales. People will come! it's always rocky when just starting out so don't expect people to be in a line for them.

Well the man and had said he was for sure they were American Chinchilla's but I don't want to be wrong and them be something else at the same time

ButtonsPalace":2hox0pj7 said:
Well the man and had said he was for sure they were American Chinchilla's but I don't want to be wrong and them be something else at the same time

Yeah, that must be frustrating to you. But it's definitely OK not to try to sell them as a specific breed, just as meat mutts, and then if a potential buyer wants to know more about the rabbits, to tell them what you know about their ancestry (both what the breeder told you, and what you've learned on RT), and let the buyers decide what they think of it. There's definitely a lot of people looking for meat rabbits who don't care if the rabbits are purebred or not. :)

If it's any comfort to you, if I was somebody who lived in your area and was thinking of buying rabbits from you and you openly and honestly told me what you know about the rabbits, I would be impressed that you had taken the trouble to find out what you could about them and weren't trying to hide anything from me. When I look at a breeder's website or ad, I am the most impressed by breeders who are open about their rabbits, and are willing to answer questions and give more information to potential buyers. It helps me feel that I would be able to get all the information I need to decide if I want to buy from them or not, and it helps me feel confident that they're not trying to hide anything from me. Honest and responsible breeders are wonderful to find. :)

I agree with Celice--I thought her post was great. :) I would also recommend trying craigslist (and, who knows, maybe you will find pet buyers along with meat buyers!). I know you're just starting out, so it must be intimidating trying to figure out how to sell kits.

I don't know if you've thought of it this way before, but breeding and selling animals is being an entrepreneur. You only have the occasional litter right now, so yours would be a very small business, but it's a business all the same. This means that you shouldn't feel bad that you've had a hard time finding buyers before, because you're a beginner at this and it takes time to learn! I think you're doing great so far. You've done a lot of research, looked for help when you need it, and are trying to learn what you can about your rabbits. You've learned a lot already. Now (assuming that your doe is pregnant and you'll have kits you'll need to sell--or if you want to do more breeding later), it's time to learn more about the business end of things. The good news is that it doesn't have to be very complicated, and you don't have to study marketing in school or anything like that. But, taking the time to learn how to advertise effectively, and how to communicate with potential buyers in a way that will help them feel comfortable buying from you, would be a good plan. :) RT has lots of people who have plenty of experience selling rabbits who can help you learn. And there are a lot of people who have researched a lot of breeders, people who have interacted with different breeders, who can help you know what is impressive in a breeder and what is impressive in an advertisement. :)

Good luck! :D :clover:

Sounds like you need more cages, sometimes a litter will sell quickly but sometimes not, kits kept together too long will fight or make more babies.

I also suggest you decide what you want out of your rabbit enterprise. It is a good idea to decide on a strategy and goal when starting a breeding program.

I have two bucks still sharing a cage and they do anything but fight. They cuddle up beside each other and hate being more than a cage away from one another

For me, it's good to have sources. For instance, I know a lot of the people who work at TSC, and they know that I breed rabbits. So they know that if somebody asks about a rabbit, they know about me. Word of mouth travels FAST. But talk to your local feedstores, veterinary offices, etc., and put flyers up, and give out business cards, get your name out there. Eventually, you may be one of the 1st breeders that they think about when they're asked if they know anybody who sells rabbits

Um no I don't think it stuck but the weather probably didn't help the day after breeding her the weather went bat shit crazy and it snowed a bit and the temperature was VERY low. I don't know if that could have done anything but either way she didn't get pregnant

Back