Kits and does and touble

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maleficent

Reaction score
received_10155901702050289.jpg

I took this image shortly after they got done nursing, front and center is a foster from a different mother. It's just over 2wKS old at this point and did have a sibling but the sibling ended up being a ftt and I lost it at a few days old despite my best efforts and frequent feeding. Did not help their mom barely produced milk then dried up.

This litter of 7 was born on Valentines day which was totally unplanned (planned litter just didn't stop to realize what day they would be born on lol). Their more is a nervous Nelly of a doe who was happily accepting some boss from my fingers as she nursed. She has another litter which is about 5wks old now (I rebred her almost immediately because I feared I would lose her first litter) and only 2 of the original first 8 remain. First there was the fact she attacked a few of the babies from her first litter because she didn't know what to do, I ended up culling those guys at a later date because their injuries just were healing right. Then I lost some to floppy kit syndrome and then some to a dog attack leaving me just the two.

She is doing better this round and accepted the foster with no fuss, I just don't like how nervous she acts. She jumped out of her cage at one point and I wanted to check her teeth to make sure she didn't damage them as she had some minor wounds on her lips and she tried taking a chunk out of my hand! It doesn't help that the only male I have to breed her to is an aggressive breeder that took nips out of her ears which makes her head shy now and she just cowers in a corner away from me for no reason! (I'm working on her with the cowering thing)

I want to keep her as she has nice large litters but I don't want her temperament or the buck's aggressive breeding tendencies in my herd any more. But I don't want to give them up either until I get a replacement blue and a replacement opal dutch. They are my meat breeders but I want friendly not going to kill you meat breeders!

Ok. I've been observing your posts on Facebook and here. Honestly you have some very bad breeders. You should not be dealing with the type aggression and problems you have been dealing with. Assuming they are not Dutch at all, do not keep breeders who act like that. You are asking for problems, and meat mutts should be easy. Assuming they are Dutch oh my goodness! I have 3 Chocolates, 2 Chinchillas, and 2 Blue Dutch. I also know people who raise Dutch. Yours are a horrible example of the breed! The breed is known for being docile and very good mothers. That is all I have ever experienced with them. This is just my opinion but you need to cull your aggressive mismarks! Decide what you want more show or meat. If you want meat just get some established meat mutts. If you want show get some competitive show lines and I promise there will still be plenty of meat/pet quality babies. But don't mess around with these pet quality / bad adittude rabbits it's just not worth it! Just my opinion, but please think it over :) :bunnyhop: :bunnyhop:

Ozarkansas":303fhd90 said:
Ok. I've been observing your posts on Facebook and here. Honestly you have some very bad breeders. You should not be dealing with the type aggression and problems you have been dealing with. Assuming they are not Dutch at all, do not keep breeders who act like that. You are asking for problems, and meat mutts should be easy. Assuming they are Dutch oh my goodness! I have 3 Chocolates, 2 Chinchillas, and 2 Blue Dutch. I also know people who raise Dutch. Yours are a horrible example of the breed! The breed is known for being docile and very good mothers. That is all I have ever experienced with them. This is just my opinion but you need to cull your aggressive mismarks! Decide what you want more show or meat. If you want meat just get some established meat mutts. If you want show get some competitive show lines and I promise there will still be plenty of meat/pet quality babies. But don't mess around with these pet quality / bad adittude rabbits it's just not worth it! Just my opinion, but please think it over :) :bunnyhop: :bunnyhop:

Thank you for your honest opinion and I see exactly where you are coming from. I have been planning on getting rid of the aggressive breeding male the day I noticed just how aggressive he is. My other male I have is very chill and relaxed and I LOVE him. He is my show breeder buck too. (Just dq because of a broken toe that healed wrong)

A different female I have is sweet and friendly but she turned into a little grouch since I just rebred her. Her kits mean while are super friendly especially her only daughter. The daughter I got when I bought her was just... horrid. A friendly sweet doe but just clueless as a mother and I lost every litter I had with her. Eventually enough was enough with her especially when she broke her own back that I just culled her. I'm hoping to have a decent replacement in her mismark sister (decent looking rabbit so far just has a crooked mask)

In my opinion,- the does temperament is often passed on to her daughters.. I have made the mistake of keeping some "Piranha rabbits" because they were "good moms, and had good conformation" oops .. i ended up with a lot of biters .. hard on me, and hard on young bucks..

The one grouchy doe has really warmed up to me otherwise, it's just the pregnancy hormones that make her a little nutty. She was bred maybe two days ago and she is already nesting. X.x;

I'm honestly half tempted to give up on dutch for the time being and refocus on Netherlands. It would just require me downsizing a bit more to make room for a breeding duo.

ladysown":3rw8htbr said:
what is floppy kit syndrome?

I don't know what it really is, it's what I called something that plagued a few of my kits not to long ago. They would be fine and then later in the day they will be on their sides just.. limp. Alive but weak and limp. It never affected a whole litter just select individuals who I had to eventually put down.

Maleficent":rxki0d90 said:
Ozarkansas":rxki0d90 said:

Thank you for your honest opinion and I see exactly where you are coming from. I have been planning on getting rid of the aggressive breeding male the day I noticed just how aggressive he is. My other male I have is very chill and relaxed and I LOVE him. He is my show breeder buck too. (Just dq because of a broken toe that healed wrong)

A different female I have is sweet and friendly but she turned into a little grouch since I just rebred her. Her kits mean while are super friendly especially her only daughter. The daughter I got when I bought her was just... horrid. A friendly sweet doe but just clueless as a mother and I lost every litter I had with her. Eventually enough was enough with her especially when she broke her own back that I just culled her. I'm hoping to have a decent replacement in her mismark sister (decent looking rabbit so far just has a crooked mask)

See the buck with a broken toe is a real Dutch :) By crooked "mask" do you mean the blaze? Or are her cheeks uneven? She sounds promising to me.

Ozarkansas":nz4z7fcs said:
Maleficent":nz4z7fcs said:
Ozarkansas":nz4z7fcs said:

See the buck with a broken toe is a real Dutch :) By crooked "mask" do you mean the blaze? Or are her cheeks uneven? She sounds promising to me.

Her blaze is uneven, I'll see if i have a baby pic of her face, it would have been perfect too! She had the complete split from back to front only for the right side of her black to have a point where the white sharply cuts into it. Nice solid build and a nice even body band which starts a littLe farther back on her body then I like but it looks even all the way around.

-- Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:52 am --

received_10155735450240289.jpg

This is her a few hours old on Christmas Eve, nice crisp body band and you can see what I mean about a crooked face marking clearly. Her cheeks look even other wise. I'll have to see if I can't get an updated photo of her. She doesn't like posing lol <br /><br /> -- Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:56 am -- <br /><br />
20180303_095454.jpg

20180303_095331.jpg

Sorry not the best images but this is the best I could do posing her. Very reluctant to pose. Her crooked marking has kind of gotten worse as she got older lol. Otherwise to my untrained eye she looks decent.

That would be a high right cheek with multiple runs. There is still defiantly potential there, but not something I would use in my breeding program. However I get really particular about the markings even in my brood stock so my herd is a lot prettier than most beginners. Lol

Edit: Hard to say without actually putting my hands on her but her hindquarters look badly pinched :x

She was actually being a turd and didn't want to pose right on a slippery box. When I flip her over her feet are actually better placed and don't have that pinched looking issue. I actually had a lion head doe that had bad bad pinching and her hindquarters don't feel anything like they had

Maleficent":29sahy5h said:
She was actually being a turd and didn't want to pose right on a slippery box. When I flip her over her feet are actually better placed and don't have that pinched looking issue. I actually had a lion head doe that had bad bad pinching and her hindquarters don't feel anything like they had

Good to know. She's got a funny look in the picture, but if you know what pinched hindquarters look like then your good :)

I also just rebred her mom, so hopefully I can get someone good in that litter. I'll probably hold on to her and her brother to see how they keep growing out. If all else fails I'll probably keep her as a pet since she is so sweet. Can't have to many pets right? :bunnyhop:

I absolutely do not tolerate aggression in my rabbits. Hormonal pregnancy grouchiness gets a little give. I only have one doe who made a move at me once. It was right after kindling and I believe I startled her. Haven't had an issue since which says a lot since I have stains. I know that some breeds can be on the nastier side of behaviors and I just don't want it. I've culled a buck I just bought because he was to mean to does. Gave him a few opportunities to calm down but he didn't so he was gone. His resulting kits came from calmer does but I watched them too. Had a buck lunge so hard at his cage door he rocked the stacked. He was gone within the hour. Now between my fiancee and my kids we have a lot of little ones. Last thing I want to think about is them getting attacked. It sucks when they are rare colors or really good lines but nope never again for me.

Back