kits 2 days premature

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AmberRae

Reaction score
I have a Mini Rex that gave birth this morning on day 29 of her pregnancy. This is her second litter and her first she went 32 days. Her first litter she had 2 kits and did everything a momma is supposed to. This litter that came early there were 7 kits and 6 were dead and very premature looking. She made a nest, pulled fur, cleaned the kits and ate the placentas. The kit that is still alive is also premature looking but not as much as the others. It was also cold to the touch which seems crazy because it is 95 degrees where I live. I warmed it up and will keep it warm. My question is; is there any chance this kit can make it? I held the mom and tried to get the kit to nurse and there was not much interest. I squeezed milk from the mom's teat and the kit would make an attempt to drink it. Should I let the kit rest and try again? I do not have any experience with premature kits and not sure if it is a lost cause. Also, I would like to ask if there is anything that causes early delivery? Maybe because she had 7 babies? She is a very tiny mini rex, probably not even 3lbs.

If you can keep the kit warm and the doe feeds it, it has a chance, but it doesn't sound to me as though the odds are very good. Give it your best shot, but don't beat yourself up if it doesn't make it.

Back