Kit won't eat! --UPDATE She's ok! :)

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Easy Ears

Reaction score
Help! Got a 2.5 week old kit who hasn't eaten all day. She rejects any attempts at nursing on her mother or a foster mother I have as well. This morning I checked the 3 kits I have after feeding and two had full tummies and she did not. I tried holding the mother down and letting her nurse and she wasn't interested. I tried again hours later and she seemed hungry but just licked the teats and didn't try sucking. She is acting normal overall, sleeping a lot, but has energy. Physically she is healthy, I cannot tell anything wrong. She is drinking water, so I tried putting water on her mothers teats but all she did was lick and not suck. It may be nothing, but I've never seen a kit without an appetite who hasn't eaten all day. :/ I'm especially concerned because she is the pick of the litter and one I really wanted to keep! Any suggestions?

-- Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:19 pm --

She is also eating a bit of hay.... that is good!

Hay, oatmeal, a little banana is what I would try. I don't know about kits, but my adults have really slowed down on their food intake because of this heat. If it seems to be gas or bloat you can try some infant gas drops to see if that helps.....

Zass":2w2yh8r2 said:
You can try feeding a little old fashioned oatmeal too.

Tried. She took one bite. That's it. :roll:

macksmom98":2w2yh8r2 said:
Hay, oatmeal, a little banana is what I would try. I don't know about kits, but my adults have really slowed down on their food intake because of this heat. If it seems to be gas or bloat you can try some infant gas drops to see if that helps.....

Introduce banana at this young of age? :?
The kits were born indoors and have stayed indoors the whole time so it isn't the heat. It isn't bloat either, her tummy is empty. :(

She drinks water off my finger (There is a water bottle in the cage she ignores) so I think she would eat some formula if I made some. Found 3 threads with similar formulas:
tips-for-handraising-kits-t2486.html
updated-hand-feeding-formula-t27372.html
formula-feeding-baby-bunnies-pics-vids-t3691.html

Shara's recipe:
1/2 cup evaporated milk
1/2 cup water
1 egg yolk
1 Tablespoon corn syrup

Homer's recipe:
1/2 cup evaporated goat's milk (undiluted)
1 egg yolk
1/2 teaspoon corn syrup
1 teaspoon powered colostrum supplement for newborn animals
1/8 teaspoon Bene Bac probiotic powder (my addition to get their guts working better)

Miss M's recipe:
1/2 Cup canned evaporated goat's milk, undiluted
1/2 Tablespoon corn syrup
1 Egg yolk

I'm wondering if you could get the powdered colostrum supplement and Bene Bac probiotic powder at any old grocery store? <br /><br /> -- Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:10 pm -- <br /><br /> Okay, so I bought the supplies and made Miss M's recipe and got the little doe to eat about 4 mL of it. How much is too much? How much should she be getting daily? Should I do it more than twice a day? She is an almost 3 week old Holland Lop.

This has saved us MANY times............

Miss M's recipe:
1/2 Cup canned evaporated goat's milk, undiluted
1/2 Tablespoon corn syrup
1 Egg yolk

Give as much as it wants (or until you see a full belly).

Tractor Supply has the Goats Milk. 11oz for $6.99.

Any of the recipe you have left over put in the freezer it's good for a long time. Just a few weeks ago we used a batch that had been in the freezer for 6 months. The kits are all healthy as can be and are 7 wks old!

DSC_6044_resize.JPG

Wow your baby sounds just like mine. Except i honestly dont even know if this kit ever got any milk from mom.

I couldn't find the condensed goats milk so i simmered some whole goats milk down. So she's getting more calories with less bulk. She seems to be doing good on it. Just cant get her to eat enough for her to actually start gaining like she should be. Shes gained a tiny amount but when we started she was literally skin over bones. I kept hoping she would have a full belly by morning..never happened. I even took most of the kits out one night to help increase her odds at mamas all you can eat buffet lol

So yeah im happy with her improvement. I wish your bunbun the best of luck. Please keep me informed :)

You are right, banana is not a great option at such a young age.....I only suggested it as a last resort. Your bunny needs to be eating and drinking something.....so if its introduce a bite of banana or it doesn't eat, I would try a very small piece. Your idea to try the formula mixture is great, and if that 1st choice works then I would go with it:)

I found evaporated undiluted goats milk at Walmart. :) They sell them in cans. I just asked a worker and he directed me to the correct isle. I had no idea Walmart even carried goats milk let alone evaporated caned goats milk, lol.

Yesterday I got her to drink 10mL of the formula! :D Yay! Today I got about 5mL down her and plan to do a second feeding tonight, hopefully I can get five more. She sure detests the stuff but as long as I wet her lips with it, it seems as though she HAS to lick them! :lol:
I was very concerned with her last night as she seemed to be quite uncomfortable and not acting herself, she even tipped over and laid on her back with her legs straight up in the air for a bit... :shock: guessing digestive problem, but lots of prayers and a worried night over and she is as right as rain today, praise the Lord! :D

macksmom98":2jt4kguy said:
You are right, banana is not a great option at such a young age.....I only suggested it as a last resort. Your bunny needs to be eating and drinking something.....so if its introduce a bite of banana or it doesn't eat, I would try a very small piece. Your idea to try the formula mixture is great, and if that 1st choice works then I would go with it:)

Thanks for the suggestion! I understand your reason now. :) Wish she enjoyed the formula, but I keep telling her if she won't drink mommas milk she'll have to suffer with formula. :roll: Haha, she sure is a cutie...I'll try and see if I can post some pictures next time I get on.

ipoGSD":3jwo80p1 said:
Any updates on your kit?

Yes, sorry about that! I've been pretty busy. Anyway, I'm glad to report that little Bonnie is doing absolutely great! :)
13781975_535409993329414_7350209405888435042_n.jpg

13782132_535410013329412_2888148323784693943_n.jpg

13669224_535410086662738_7062096351783479843_n.jpg

13873029_535410003329413_8352165975700224793_n.jpg

13876620_535410099996070_8243715933767578789_n.jpg

Back