Register

Kit weights

Discussion of all aspects of rabbits as meat animals. If this subject is offensive to you, please do not visit.
4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 10.00

Kit weights

Post Number:#1  Unread postby paintedquarters » Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:28 pm

I am curious, does anyone else keep records of kit weights? We started weighing at 10 days. We intend to continue to weigh weekly. Part to keep good records, part as a 4-H project. Wondering what are good weights for kits as they grow? Does anyone else do this & what is your opinion on good weights pre weaning? Thanks.

Site Supporter
8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 32,531.00

Re: Kit weights

Post Number:#2  Unread postby Dood » Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:09 pm

The following user would like to thank Dood for this post
paintedquarters

Site Supporter
6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Female
BunnyBucks: 5,731.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby Rainey » Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:53 pm

Welcome to RT. So much to learn here--people who've been raising rabbits for a long time and willing to answer questions from us beginners.
You'll find various threads about kit weights at various ages. It was easy for me to feel discouraged looking at them at first, feeling that our kits didn't measure up. Others posted weights that were lower than ours and I came to see that it's not a competition and that there are many factors. We don't feed pellets so have to expect slower growout. This year we weighed our kits at weeks 1,3,5, 8, and 12. We remove the doe from the kits at 5 weeks, so that weighing helps us assess the milk production of our does. Most of our rabbits go to freezer camp at about 13 weeks.

The following user would like to thank Rainey for this post
paintedquarters

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 1,030.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby bigfoot_158 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:03 am

Since I breed just for meat I dont weigh them till 8 to 10 weeks. And its just for my family. But there always a but, I do plan to up scale as I go. So weighing and keeping records is a good way to see your progress. :)
Have a Nice day
BigFoot