Kit update

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trinityoaks

Reaction score
Looks like we lost two of Dot's kits. Sadly, they're two of the brokens that would have looked just like mom. They were still slightly warm when I found them in the nest a couple of hours ago. I've been warming them, but to no avail. They look as though they were fed, but their bellies are yellowish under the skin. Could it be that she wasn't getting these two to eliminate?

image.php

Her other kits seem to be fine, as are Branwyn's (YAY!) and Vixen's. Even Vixen's kit that I found outside the cage yesterday morning and put back with the others is fine. Vixen has pulled even MORE fur (and she had a lot when the kits were born).

No signs yet of Chica or Pola kindling yet, although they've pushed a lot of hay around, and eaten a good portion of it. Today is Day 36 for Pola and Day 34 for Chica. I find it really hard to believe that Pola didn't "take", so I'll keep the nest box in another day or two. Chica I'm not so sure about, but I'll leave her with a nest box, as well.

aww I'm sorry it's always hard to lose them if it looks like you are ok :(
I tend to presume that loss in infants that young (of any species) are usually congenital systemic defects if the rest of the litter is doing fine

I'm sorry you lost them, Trinity, but I agree with Brody. Kit losses other than to chilling tend to suggest that the kit just wasn't viable for one reason or another.

Glad you're keeping the nest boxes in with Chica and Pola... 'cause you just never know!

I came back to check this again as the back of my brain noticed something my thinking brain didn't the first time by
the yellow tinge can indicate janudice - which can be a sign of a liver disfunction of some sort ..very likely congential I'd say

Back