Kit handling?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Numbivory

Reaction score
Im expecting my first litter of kits march 22nd. I was wondering if handling the bew babies was ok? I have read that the moms will abandon the babies if you touch them, but ive also read that this is a myth? Is this more of a based on individual rabbits thing or...?

So far it's been 100% myth for us. We actually take the babies immediately from birth and shelve them inside the house. We then take them back out to the momma twice a day and the doe has never not been happy to see her kits and relieve her of milk.

So personally I wouldn't worry about just touching them. :)

Myth

I handle my kits daily from birth

Even my neurotic and high strung Britannia Petites don't abandon litters and if any rabbit would, it would be them :x

You need to do a health check as soon after birth as possible. Demons any afterbirth, bloody hay, dead kits. Also count the babies and look them over carefully for any genetic defects (cleft palette, hernias, etc).

If they don't have full milk bellies, I put them back with the doe, otherwise I keep them until sunrise/sundown and return for nursing while I check/feed the other rabbits, then take the nest box back inside. Nursing only takes about five minutes and the doe will be back outside the nest box. By taking the nest box inside, I can catch any kits that were dropped outside the box before they get too chilled!

Now, inside, I actually move the litter(s) into baskets lined with towels and as I walk by during the day, I stir the babies and get them acclimated to my touch/smell. This makes a difference in how many end up being spastic little babies later on. LOL

I've always handled my babies from day one.
There is a current rumor going around FB that handling stresses kits and makes them grow more slowly.
That is also a myth.

Zass":fdkb7rj0 said:
I've always handled my babies from day one.
There is a current rumor going around FB that handling stresses kits and makes them grow more slowly.
That is also a myth.
:yeahthat:

Guess nobody ever told my long eared pigs that either. 18 weeks old and over 11 # now. :lol: Want to pay my feed bill?

This is a myth. I've never had a rabbit abandon babies by handling them - but I've saved quite a few babies by getting them out and checking them every day. Wounds, fur wrapped around parts, dead babies, wet nestboxes, etc, are all problems that you can't deal with without handling the babies.

This is said more often in Europe & AUS though. Makes me wonder if their rabbits (being different gene pools) actually do have differences in mother instinct...

Myth. And most of what I hear is of them eating them, not abandoning them. I don't hear it often, but I think sometimes weird smells or stress can trigger their protect at all costs instinct. When in the wild, they are prey for so many animals, it may be possible they think killing their own young will somehow better protect them from some worse fate. This is a theory some go off of, but is also pretty rare. Most of the time when you see mothers eating babies its because they are already dead and they are cleaning up so the live kits stay healthy and so that a predator cant smell the dead animal and draw closer to the nest. I have actually NEVER had any trouble with this. Our moms leave dead kits next to the live ones, and have never had an issue with us touching them. We also check them on purpose to help them survive. Sometimes we remove them totally and bring them in the house for added warmth and protection, and bring them to mom to nurse twice a day.

I check my kits the first few days then maybe every 3 or 4 days after that. My nest boxes have a door on the back side so I can get a sneek peak. I also try to keep momma occupied with some clover or another treat. But they usually catch me checking things out I just try to be quick and quite. I'd say myth also just do your best not to stress your doe to much. If its your first litter ever and your does there is going to be a lot of emotions going on :D I still get excited for every litter too and I've had several of them! So unless its extremely cold out check on them and let momma do her job. Good luck!

I love the kits so I handle them for maybe 10 minutes or less every day. On the day they're born I just check for dead ones, count them, and make sure they are fed. The next day I start weighing and handling them, and mark them. I do it in the morning when I feed the doe, so she is distracted and doesn't mind.
Before I handle them I wash my hands really good, dry them off, and then rub them on the doe so I smell like her. I don't know if it's necessary but I do it just in case.
My does trust me pretty well, and even if they go in the nest box right after I handle them they just make sure they're fine and leave.

I know I'm a bit crazy, but not only do I handle kits, but I used to take nest boxes to school, and other teachers would handle the kits, and allow students to put their hands in the box.

Back